Registered members do not see this advertisement! Remove it by signing up for free.
genesis motors forum   genesis motors forums

Direct Links: Genesis Motors Brand | Genesis G70 | Genesis G80 | Genesis G90 | Genesis Sedan | Genesis Coupe | Equus
Genesis Forum: Running Out of Gas
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Kirkwood is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan

Thumbs down Running Out of Gas

Members don't see this ad
    I ran out of gas the other day in my Genesis sedan when the computer said I had 48 miles to go, the low fuel light was not on and the gas gauge said that I had 1/16 of a tank left. I have previously gone below 30 miles fuel left and not run out of gas, so something changed. Anyone have any idea?

maxmar04 is offline Registered Member What I drive: 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Delray Beach, Florida

Default Re: Running Out of Gas

Hmm, very strange. It could be a couple of things of things I can think of:
    Clogged or Busted gas line?
    Dirty or faulty fuel sensor?
    It couldve been a computer glitch (very possible since it is a very new car making the above scenarios highly unlikely)
    There are actually many many things that could have caused this.... Too many for me to list right now

I have gone about 10 miles past the almost empty warning "-- miles left" (comes up after "30 miles left") without running out of gas.

Do not crank the car until you add more gas and rock the car side to side a bit, then head to the dealership and see what they have to say about it.
    '10 black 3.8 sedan
    rebadged with black wings
    debadged "genesis"
    completely redone sound system
    insulation throughout entire car
    20" lexani lx-20
    painted brake calipers
    15% tint and 50% windshield
    lowbeam/fog HIDs (as well as independent fog mod)
    blacked out tail lights and mirror side markers
    ChromeIntakes CAI
    COMPLETE blue LED conversion everywhere (including A/C vents)
    White license plate LED's
    Underbody LED's

soon to come > paint grill,murder (paint all chrome pieces black)

mikec is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis 4.6 V8 Tau Sedan
    I live in SoCal

Did the engine really run out of gas or could it have died for some other reason? One out-of-gas possibility is a defective fuel pick-up pipe. A small leak near the bottom of it would make it suck air instead of gas when the gas level is lower than the leak. A dent in the fuel tank that snags the fuel level sensor float, an incorrectly installed sensor/float, and bad sensor/float will make the fuel gauge read incorrectly high.

The Genesis sedan monitors fuel tank level and compares that to what the engine computer thinks it's burned. If the "I've burned this much gas" doesn't compare to "tank says this much gas has been used" then diagnostic code P0461 is set. The tolerance is 11 liters or 2.6 gallons - i.e. if the tank fuel level is more than 2.6 gallons different from what the computer thinks it's burned you'll get the error code. This is used to monitor the fuel system for gross fuel leaks and issues with the evaporative emissions canister (the charcoal canister).

mike c.

genesis20 is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis 4.6 V8 Tau Sedan

Not a good idea to let your tank get past the 1/8 empty level. Running out of gas is not good for the injectors because they need gas for lubrication. At least that used to be the case in older vehicles. Newer engines might be different but I think they still need to be lubricated by gasoline. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Shawn33 is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Blairstown, NJ

Along with this the fuel pump is typically submerged in gasline which helps cool it. Running it to empty allows the pump to heat up considerably. Keeping the fuel level above 1/8th will help prolong the life of the fuel pump as well.

Shawn
    2015 3.8 AWD Ultimate
    Ibiza Blue/Ivory Interior

CanukV6 is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Beamsville Ontario

The 'Miles to Empty' display should not be relied on, as I believe it uses past average fuel consumption as an indicator, not real time fuel consumption. Therefore if you have had a period of economical highway driving and then you fill up, the M-T-E reading will be quite high. If you then run around the city on hot days with lots of stop and go driving, the actual fuel consumption will be a lot higher than the previous average. While I assume that the system does adapt to the higher consumption (by revising the average fuel consumption) it will still show a false M-T-E reading.

If you Reset your M-T-E at every fill up this problem will be diminished, but for those that never Reset, the average consumption may be a lot higher than actual.
    1st: 2009 3.8 V6, Cabernet/Cashmere, with Tech Package. Returned at Lease End. 119,750km (74,850 miles).
    2nd: 2012 3.8 V6, Twilight Blue Pearl/Cashmere, with Tech Package. Returned at Lease End. 105,000km (65,625 miles).
    Current: 2015 3.8 V6 HTRAC Casablanca White/Beige Two-Tone, with Luxury Package.

EXBMWGUY is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis 5.0 V8 R-Spec Sedan
    I live in Twin Cities, Minnesota

Add to this the potential harm to the catalytic converter from running out of gas.
    2012 R-Spec, Black, Tinted, Wings - Rear, Wheels, Steering Wheel.

Qbedobedoo is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Inland Empire, SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by CanukV6 View Post
    If you Reset your M-T-E ...
    How do you reset the MilesToEmpty?? I thought it was a calculated value..
    2012 3.8 Sedan Titanium Grey Metallic
    Front, back and steering wheel emblem..

CanukV6 is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Beamsville Ontario

Sorry, what I should have said is to Reset the Average Fuel Consumption. In my car you scroll through the trip computer display on the Instrument Cluster until you come to Average Fuel Consumption then hold the button down until it resets. On my 2009 there was a seperate Reset button.

swltf183 is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Tampa, FL

Members don't see this ad
    In addition to everything else mentioned, all the debris floating on the top of the gas is sucked into the system. Like a bathtub drain. That last swallow contains all the floaters.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast