Registered members do not see this advertisement! Remove it by signing up for free.
genesis motors forum   genesis motors forums

Direct Links: Genesis Motors Brand | Genesis G70 | Genesis G80 | Genesis G90 | Genesis Sedan | Genesis Coupe | Equus
Genesis Forum: Keyless Entry Fob
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Advocate225 is online now Registered Member What I drive: 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Philadelphia

Default Keyless Entry Fob

Members don't see this ad
    I have a 2009 Genesis that is now 38 months old. For about the last 10 weeks my keless entry won't let me open the doors first time I want to use the car each day. I need tro open the fob and use the key. Once in the car the fob will start the engine without any problem.

Each time I then use the car throghout the day the keyless entry allows me to open the doors without any problem. But the next day, the routine starts all over again.

I was at the service shop for two dealers to ask if I need to replace batteries in teh fob but both told me "no" since the fob wouldn't be working if the batteries were dead. I left the car for five days with one dealer but was told that the fob worked every morning for them (I am starting to question if they ever really tried the fob).

Anybody having a similar problem?

darrell is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Marietta, GA

Default Re: Keyless Entry Fob

After 3 + years of use a weak battery could certainly be the cause.
    Do you have the same issue with the second or spare FOB?

Carrying a cell phone in close proximity of the key fob may also cause RF interferance
    resulting in the issue you are having.

CanukV6 is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Beamsville Ontario

I would change the battery in the fob and see if that makes a difference. Do you have a second fob? Does it work OK? Another thing to try is inserting the fob into the slot above the gear selector. Some posts I've read here suggest that this helps the fob "connect" with the car security system. Not sure if that's true but its worth a try.
    1st: 2009 3.8 V6, Cabernet/Cashmere, with Tech Package. Returned at Lease End. 119,750km (74,850 miles).
    2nd: 2012 3.8 V6, Twilight Blue Pearl/Cashmere, with Tech Package. Returned at Lease End. 105,000km (65,625 miles).
    Current: 2015 3.8 V6 HTRAC Casablanca White/Beige Two-Tone, with Luxury Package.

I live in Philadelphia

The same pattern holds with either of my two fobs. ididn't know that cells interfere as I often carry my i-phone in the same pocket. But it only happens the first time in the day so if it was the phone, wouldn't that happen each time I went to enter the car?

Thanks for your comment.

I live in Philadelphia

Quote Originally Posted by CanukV6 View Post
    I would change the battery in the fob and see if that makes a difference. Do you have a second fob? Does it work OK? Another thing to try is inserting the fob into the slot above the gear selector. Some posts I've read here suggest that this helps the fob "connect" with the car security system. Not sure if that's true but its worth a try.
    It's the same with either fob. Sometimes I do put the fob into the dashboard since, when I first purchased the car, the dealer told me that is a way to keep the charge up in the fob.

Thanks for your comment.

Richard Ft. Lauderdale is offline Registered Member What I drive: Equus Signature
    I live in Wilton Manors, Fl. That gay town in Florida.

Pretty sure you can't charge the battery in the key fob. I replaced the battery in both of them probably a year or so ago.

darrell is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Marietta, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Advocate225 View Post
    The same pattern holds with either of my two fobs. ididn't know that cells interfere as I often carry my i-phone in the same pocket. But it only happens the first time in the day so if it was the phone, wouldn't that happen each time I went to enter the car?
    Thanks for your comment.
    Simple enough to test! Separate the FOB and cell and let us know if the issue still exist.
    You did say the dealer was not able to recreate the problem.

waveman is offline Registered Member What I drive: 4.6 V8 Tau Sedan
    I live in Alabama

I was at the service shop for two dealers to ask if I need to replace batteries in teh fob but both told me "no" since the fob wouldn't be working if the batteries were dead. I left the car for five days with one dealer but was told that the fob worked every morning for them (I am starting to question if they ever really tried the fob).
    There's a gradation between "full charge" and "dead." If the batteries are weak but still have some charge, the fob could still work close to the car or inside it. If you have a meter, check the voltage. If not, just replace one of the batteries to see if that helps. They're not expensive. If that doesn't work, go back to the dealer.

Southern Boy is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in West Central Coast Florida

After reading through this thread I was wondering if the car is parked in the same place every morning.

If it is there might is a RF signal in the area of where the car is parked affecting the RF signal emitted by the fob. If you can try parking the car at another location and see if the problem still exist.

If you know someone who operates a ham or CB radio, they may have a meter that measures RF signal. See if you can borrow a meter and check for stray RF signals in the area of where the car is parked.

The signal might be intermittent, because of equipment transmitting the stray signal being turn off later in the day.

If I didnít find any other explanation I would suspect interference with the Fob RF signal as being the reason for the problems.
    2011 Genesis Sedan 3.8 V6
    Titanium Gray Metallic
    Black leather
    Chrome pillars, Chrome door trim
    Wings hood & trunk, Wings wheel caps
    TSW Sentterton Chrome 18X8 40mm offset Wheels
    General G- Max AS03 225/50ZR18 Tires Nitrogen fill
    Southern Life Philosophy:
    Faster Cars, Younger Women, Older Whiskey and More Money!

Gurkha is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Montreal, Quebec

Members don't see this ad
    Sometimes I do put the fob into the dashboard since, when I first purchased the car, the dealer told me that is a way to keep the charge up in the fob. Thanks for your comment.
    That claim is totally false. I don't know where some salespeople get their info from. It's not the first time I hear this, even seen it on a youtube vid.
    That slot only allows you to start the car if the battery is dead in the key fob.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast