Registered members do not see this advertisement! Remove it by signing up for free.
genesis motors forum   genesis motors forums

Direct Links: Genesis Motors Brand | Genesis G70 | Genesis G80 | Genesis G90 | Genesis Sedan | Genesis Coupe | Equus
Genesis Forum: 2011 Genesis 4.6 ENGINE SEIZED @ 27,000 miles
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Stunamar is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis/Equus In His/Her Dreams (Doesn't own one yet)

Default 2011 Genesis 4.6 ENGINE SEIZED @ 27,000 miles

Members don't see this ad
    So last week I was backing out of the driveway the car shuttered and stalled. Never happened before thought it was odd, but I hit the button to restart the motor and nothing. One simple click and that's it. I call triples A for a jump thought maybe by some chance the battery was dead. No luck didnt start.
    I had the car towed to my local dealer in NJ that Sunday evening. Monday afternoon i got the call that the engine seized completely. No check engine lights, no low oil pressure, no oil light, nothing.
    The dealer said they were going to put a new motor in the car and i should have it back by the end of the week, AND they did! Going to pick it up today.

The most flabergasting part of this whole scenario is the cost of the new motor....$15,000. Sounds kinda odd to me but for 15k I could have a blower sticking out of the hood making a 1,000 hp.

Props to the dealer though for taking care of this!

MozartMan is offline Registered Member What I drive: 1G Genesis 4.6 V8 Tau Sedan
    I live in Motown/HockeyTown

Default Re: 2011 Genesis 4.6 ENGINE SEIZED @ 27,000 miles

Did you have to pay or was it covered by the warranty?
    2011 Genesis 4.6 V8. Tech Package. White Satin Pearl. Wings badges - hood/trunk/wheels caps/steering wheel.

Potty_Pants is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis 5.0 V8 R-Spec Sedan

New v6 n54 bmw motor is around 30k.

So 15k im not suprised
    Olds Starfire > Chevy Malibu > Isuzu I-mark RS > Grand Am GT > Nissan Maxima > X-Wife > Hyundai Excel > Honda Prelude > Honda Accord > Honda Prelude > Infiniti G35 > BMW E90 335i > Hyundai Genesis Rspec, Hyunadai Sonata > Kia Sorento > Honda CRV-EX

Stunamar is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis/Equus In His/Her Dreams (Doesn't own one yet)

Cost me nothing!

veed is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis 4.6 V8 Tau Sedan
    I live in NW Ohio

did they provide root cause?

OneFunGenesis is offline <- Runnin' on Empty What I drive: 1G Genesis 4.6 V8 Tau Sedan
    I live in Rochester, NY

^ This
    2009 Genesis 4.6 Tech. Platinum Metallic on Black&Brown | How To DL Genesis Sedan FSM (PC Only)|A Concise Explanation of HID's and Angel Eyes (HID Sections are Useful)

Quote Originally Posted by staz View Post
    Thanks for all your responses regarding the RHF Antenna that I discovered under my Genny. Turns out my car was installed with teletrac at the dealership, and this is just the tracking antenna that the police use to locate the vehicle (kind of like Lo-Jack).
    Quote Originally Posted by OneFunGenesis View Post
    I would take it off, hook it up to a small battery and FedEx that bitch around the world

GenesisCaptain is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan

My previous car blew its engine, and that is what got me into the Genesis. The new engine would have been $22K ($17K for the short block plus labor).

Quote Originally Posted by Potty_Pants View Post
    New v6 n54 bmw motor is around 30k.
    The N54 short block MSRP is only $12,366, though most dealers would sell it for around $10K. $15K for the Genesis V8 is a little higher than I would expect, unless that includes a crapload of labor.
    2012 Cabernet Red Pearl Genesis Sedan 3.8 with Technology Package
    Upgrades: Full-size spare, Wings badges, FormulaOne Pinnacle 30% tint, Blendmount with hard-wired radar detector

Wish List: Illuminated door sills, LED fog lights, Akebono Euro brake pads, Rear outside door unlock buttons

Mark_888 is online now Registered Member What I drive: 1G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by GenesisCaptain View Post
    $15K for the Genesis V8 is a little higher than I would expect, unless that includes a crapload of labor.
    At www.newhyundaiparts.com it is $16,839.11 plus shipping, plus installation.

Southern Boy is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in West Central Coast Florida

Quote Originally Posted by Stunamar View Post
    So last week I was backing out of the driveway the car shuttered and stalled. Never happened before thought it was odd, but I hit the button to restart the motor and nothing. One simple click and that's it. I call triples A for a jump thought maybe by some chance the battery was dead. No luck didnt start.
    I had the car towed to my local dealer in NJ that Sunday evening. Monday afternoon i got the call that the engine seized completely. No check engine lights, no low oil pressure, no oil light, nothing.
    The dealer said they were going to put a new motor in the car and i should have it back by the end of the week, AND they did! Going to pick it up today.

The most flabergasting part of this whole scenario is the cost of the new motor....$15,000. Sounds kinda odd to me but for 15k I could have a blower sticking out of the hood making a 1,000 hp.

Props to the dealer though for taking care of this!
    Be glad you bought a Hyundai.

Had an engine seize at 25K on a 1972 Chevy Vega. Dealer and GM laughed when I told them the aluminum block was an engineering problem and they should replace the engine. (Later they admitted the design was flawed and sleeved the block, but too bad for me since I bought the car before the engineering revision)

Warrantee was 12K or 1 year back then. I sold car as is that I paid cash for and took out a loan to buy a Toyota.

Last GM car I ever bought. To this day most cars have only a 3 year / 36K warrantee. If auto manufactures only believe their product will only last for 3 / 36 then why should I have any faith in their product?
    2011 Genesis Sedan 3.8 V6
    Titanium Gray Metallic
    Black leather
    Chrome pillars, Chrome door trim
    Wings hood & trunk, Wings wheel caps
    TSW Sentterton Chrome 18X8 40mm offset Wheels
    General G- Max AS03 225/50ZR18 Tires Nitrogen fill
    Southern Life Philosophy:
    Faster Cars, Younger Women, Older Whiskey and More Money!

yellow3.8track is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis 3.8 V6 Coupe

Members don't see this ad
    The head gaskets were the issue on the 2.3's in the early Vega.

Steel gasket, rust, leak, rust particles and anti-freeze do terrible things to aluminum cylinder walls. The factory engines had aluminum cylinder walls right up to the time they stopped making the 2.3 and switched over to the 2.5's.

I bought mine in 76, new. I ran the snot out of that thing for years. It was running like a top at 125,000 miles on the engine when I parked it due to the effects of all the salt they put on the roads in WV in the winter time.

Maybe I was just lucky but oil/oil filter changes every 3,000 miles might have had something to do with it, too.

My Coupe sure does run better than that old Astre (Pontiac's version of the Vega) but so far, between being married and being in my mid 50's, I've never had the fun in the coupe I had in the Astre.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast