Registered members do not see this advertisement! Remove it by signing up for free.
genesis motors forum   genesis motors forums

Direct Links: Genesis Motors Brand | Genesis G70 | Genesis G80 | Genesis G90 | Genesis Sedan | Genesis Coupe | Equus
Genesis Forum: Prepurchase Question: 2013 vs 2014 Genesis Sedan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Eijun is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: Genesis/Equus In His/Her Dreams (Doesn't own one yet)

Default Prepurchase Question: 2013 vs 2014 Genesis Sedan

Members don't see this ad
    I had been split, should I wait for the 2014 model or should I buy the 2013?

I am kinda leaning to the 2014 model, too bad there is not enough info out there on it.

2013 - +I prefer the RWD
    2013 - +Sub $30k with no haggling (likely can get below 29 if I haggle or out the door)

2014 - +Redone Hood/Grill (I like it better than the 2013)
    2014 - +Analog Clock
    2014 - ?Price Range?
    2014 - ?are they going to have RWD or All???
    2014 - ?Manual Tranny (likely not, but if do then it will eat into the 4door coupe market)

A sun/moon/panronama roof is nice but too much $$$$ for just the roof (which is part of their packages, likely can get aftermarket for cheaper)
    The GPS/speakers I dont really care much about being I prefer either DYI or aftermarket.
    No opinion on either of the interiors (I prefer the Coupe interior, it is more simple)

What is your opinions?

GenesisCaptain is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan

Default Re: Prepurchase Question: 2013 vs 2014 Genesis Sedan

I had to make the very same decision with a Honda Odyssey 5 years ago. They were doing a mid-cycle refresh and likely to introduce several potential updates. I had a wish list of things I wanted that I then created a probability guess of likelihood they would be offered in the new model. And, I had to do my best to guess when I could even get the new model.

I decided to buy the earlier model. In retrospect, I am so happy I buy what I bought. I really only gave up one feature I wish I had. But, I saved a ton of money and I got the car many months sooner. They ended up being late to market.

If you love the 2013 and you need a car now, then get the 2013. If you do not need a car and can hang on for a while longer, get the 2015.
    2012 Cabernet Red Pearl Genesis Sedan 3.8 with Technology Package
    Upgrades: Full-size spare, Wings badges, FormulaOne Pinnacle 30% tint, Blendmount with hard-wired radar detector

Wish List: Illuminated door sills, LED fog lights, Akebono Euro brake pads, Rear outside door unlock buttons

Ernie3647 is offline Supporting Member I live in Middletown NY

Why donít you wait till the 2014 comes out and make your decision then. Youíll gain two advantages first youíll get to see what itís like and if it offers you something you need or want. Second the 2013 will still be available and youĎll most likely get a better deal on it. As for me my decision is made from what Iíve seen and read 2014 is the trade up year

Ruissimo is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis 5.0 V8 R-Spec Sedan

I agree... wait and THEN decide. If you CAN wait, that is.

I think it's a pretty good bet that the Gen II's will be available in both RWD and AWD. I don't know if the Panoramic sunroof will be standard equipment, but I would look to the Azera option packages as an early indicator of where Genesis packages might land. Again, nothing is set in stone.

My guess is definitely no 6-speed manual. 10-speed automatic only (if they build it in time, otherwise the same tranny we have now). Paddle shifters are a very good possibility based on a couple of pictures.

I'm really looking forward to the new tech, more than anything else. Things like 360 degree top-down parking cameras, seat-integrated blind-spot detection and HUD. But none of that has been confirmed... though it is confirmed on its cousin, the Quoris. And some of it even on the new Cadenza!

2012 Hyundai Genesis 5.0 R Spec Black / Black ē Click here for album
    (KDM Badges front/rear/wheels/steering wheel, sticker for now ē 35% Tint)

427435 is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis 5.0 V8 R-Spec Sedan
    I live in Rochester, Minnesota

I never buy the first year of a dramatically changed car. Too many early bugs to deal with. Maybe the 2nd year, but not the first.

Part of the my reason for buying a 2013 R-Spec was the hope that most of the bugs have been worked out. Time will tell.
    Mark

2013 Genesis R-Spec, 429 hp, Cabernet Red, 21,000
    miles
    2003 Eddie Bauer Explorer, 239 hp, 120,000 miles
    2003 Anniversary Corvette, 350 hp, 23,000 miles
    1967 Corvette, 435 hp, 100,000+ miles (my 1st new
    car)
    1977 IH Scout, lots of torque, lots of miles
    1994 Topaz, who cares, 234,000 miles

kf4zra is offline Registered Member What I drive: 2G Genesis 5.0 V8 Ultimate
    I live in Tampa, FL

I am in the same boat as you. Crappy thing for Hyundai is if they would just let me see pics and read specs of the 2014 model, I could make my decision between the 2013 and 2014. Since I can't get that information, I have started looking at other options. I found the Infiniti M56 and I like what I see.

kf4zra is offline Registered Member What I drive: 2G Genesis 5.0 V8 Ultimate
    I live in Tampa, FL

Quote Originally Posted by 427435 View Post
    I never buy the first year of a dramatically changed car. Too many early bugs to deal with. Maybe the 2nd year, but not the first.

Part of the my reason for buying a 2013 R-Spec was the hope that most of the bugs have been worked out. Time will tell.
    I did that with the 2007 Camry. The gas pedal was not able to be used smoothly, and the doors would always slam instead of that heavy "thunk" they should do. 6 mo later, i bought a 2009 Camry XLE v6 and it was completely different. The pedal was smooth as silk and the doors closed right. Toyota kept telling me things were normal without checking out the car.

The reason I am willing to take a chance with a new Genesis is that from what I have read here, many Hyundai dealerships seem to give more effort to making people happy than Toyota dealerships do.

ockevin is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis 5.0 V8 R-Spec Sedan
    I live in Buena Park,CA

The new car is a 2015 model. The 2014 is the same as the current car.

GenesisCaptain is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by kf4zra View Post
    I am in the same boat as you. Crappy thing for Hyundai is if they would just let me see pics and read specs of the 2014 model, I could make my decision between the 2013 and 2014. Since I can't get that information, I have started looking at other options. I found the Infiniti M56 and I like what I see.
    It is kind of a bummer. But, I do not remember any automaker that has revealed much about a new model before its grand release. And, even when the car is announced with pictures and stuff, they still won't likely reveal colors and features until it is arriving on dealer lots. The auto industry is especially super-secretive about their styling changes for upcoming models.

If the next model will not get revealed at an auto show until 2014, then I would bet it does not hit dealerships until the fall of 2014 as a 2015 model year car. That means you probably have another sixteen months, at least, before you could get hold of one. The odd thing is that a fall 2014 release of a 2015 would put the first generation Genesis at an 8 year model cycle. That is very long for even the most expensive cars.

Eijun is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: Genesis/Equus In His/Her Dreams (Doesn't own one yet)

Members don't see this ad
    So the new model will be in 2015 (late 2014).... *pooie* Then you guys do not recommend getting the first year of the new model so 2016 model, cant wait that long.

Ok, Genesis this month then (likely this weekend). What should a 3.8 Sedan cost (with no techy options)?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast