Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

genesis motors forum   genesis motors forums

Direct Links: Genesis Motors Brand | Genesis G70 | Genesis G80 | Genesis G90 | Genesis Sedan | Genesis Coupe | Equus
Genesis Forum: 5.0 L V8 Oil/Filter Change 2015
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    kn5owa is offline Supporting Member What I drive: 2G Genesis 5.0 V8
    Cars in my garage

Default Re: 5.0 L V8 Oil/Filter Change 2015

Members don't see this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by xsolara View Post
    It was a solid stop and I was afraid to force any further. Maybe thinner tube might make it but I have not been able to find one locally.
    Maybe thinner tube (Home Depot) and warmer engine will work - also when removing oil - they say - loosen the filler cap.

Been doing a little google/youtube research - apparently the suction idea is going over big with dealers - makes oil change a no-brainer - wonder if they even bother changing out the oil filter?
    Drives '06 Sonata LX V6
    2015 Genesis 5.0 V8
    Montecito Blue

Mark_888 is offline Registered Member What I drive: 1G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    Cars in my garage

It's a home brew unit I made using a heavy duty diesel fuel pump. I have used it for years and works great. It worked on the 2012 Azera plus several other cars
    On the 3.8L eng the dipstick tube has a small bend in it before it enters the pan.... the hose I'm using should have easily made past the bend to the pan.
    It was a solid stop and I was afraid to force any further. Maybe thinner tube might make it but I have not been able to find one locally.
    The MityVac came with two different size tubes, and I have to use the smaller one. But I know what you mean by the "stop" and I sometimes have to plunge the tube up and down to get it past. I would try beveling the end of the tube and do make sure engine is warm.

Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by kn5owa View Post
    wonder if they even bother changing out the oil filter?
    That's one more reason why I change my own oil. I have the oil filter on top on my 2009 Genesis. On the 2015 V6, several people said it can be reached from the top, even though it is near bottom of the engine block.

xsolara is offline Registered Member What I drive: 2G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Central Wisconsin
    Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_888 View Post
    That's one more reason why I change my own oil. I have the oil filter on top on my 2009 Genesis. On the 2015 V6, several people said it can be reached from the top, even though it is near bottom of the engine block.
    Yes it can be removed from the top. The v6 has enough room between the block and the radiator ...

Cars in my garage

I would think that a small removable panel could be designed to be easily removed to uncover the filter and drain plug. I am surprised Hyundai didn't design it this way.
    2015 5.0 Ultimate, Casablanca White with Black Interior Build Date July 2014
    Options:
    Mud guards, trunk mat, rear bumper applique, wheel locks
    Customization:Automatic turn on of heated/cooled seats, Automatic raising/lowering of rear sunshade

Other Vehicles:
    2008 Toyota Sequoia Platinum
    2005 Lincoln LS V8

Midnightsun is offline Been here awhile... What I drive: 2G Genesis 5.0 V8 Ultimate
    I live in Montreal, Canada
    Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by lobsenza View Post
    I would think that a small removable panel could be designed to be easily removed to uncover the filter and drain plug. I am surprised Hyundai didn't design it this way.
    Agreed!

Wish it was like on my Mercedes. Filter is right there under the hood which drains automatically when you drain the oil, spin off the top and replace the cartridge. Hard to even spill a drop even if you try.

The dipstick tube is about 5/8. ID which serves as an oil extractor tube and therefor no need to insert a tube, just insert the Mercedes adapter into the top of the dipstick tube. The design is such that the dipstick tube is at the bottom of the lowest location of the pan. Fxxken Brilliant, can't get easier than this. It is so clean and simple I could change oil in a suit and tie.
    2015 HTRAC V8 Ultimate Montecito Blue/Ivory
    Born July 10th 2014
    1996 Mercedes SL 320 Polar White/Grey, Mint
    2014 Fiat 500L lounge, Loaded, White.
    2017 Honda Ridgeline Touring, White.

xsolara is offline Registered Member What I drive: 2G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Central Wisconsin
    Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by Midnightsun View Post
    Agreed!

Wish it was like on my Mercedes. Filter is right there under the hood which drains automatically when you drain the oil, spin off the top and replace the cartridge. Hard to even spill a drop even if you try.

The dipstick tube is about 5/8. ID which serves as an oil extractor tube and therefor no need to insert a tube, just insert the Mercedes adapter into the top of the dipstick tube. The design is such that the dipstick tube is at the bottom of the lowest location of the pan. Fxxken Brilliant, can't get easier than this. It is so clean and simple I could change oil in a suit and tie.
    Not a bad idea but the dip stick tube doesn't go to the bottom of the pan...so you leave a lot of oil in the pan

kn5owa is offline Supporting Member What I drive: 2G Genesis 5.0 V8
    Cars in my garage

Not a bad idea but the dip stick tube doesn't go to the bottom of the pan...so you leave a lot of oil in the pan
    My guess is that since Mercedes designed the dip stick tube from ground up for the purpose of changing oil - it did go to the bottom of the pan - probably had its own little sump for gathering oil.

On non-Merc's, you simply insert the plastic extraction tube down to the bottom of the pan. All the feedback I've seen indicates that the remaining oil is negligible.

Cars in my garage

With the MityVac tube, and a little effort, you can get the tube to the bottom. Actually, the biggest problem is that tube is curved and it goes past bottom and back up again, so I just have to move the tube around a few times to make sure I got it all. I get more oil out via MityVac than I can with drain plug.

Midnightsun is offline Been here awhile... What I drive: 2G Genesis 5.0 V8 Ultimate
    I live in Montreal, Canada
    Cars in my garage

Members don't see this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by kn5owa View Post
    My guess is that since Mercedes designed the dip stick tube from ground up for the purpose of changing oil - it did go to the bottom of the pan - probably had its own little sump for gathering oil.

On non-Merc's, you simply insert the plastic extraction tube down to the bottom of the pan. All the feedback I've seen indicates that the remaining oil is negligible.
    Yep, eaxacly how it was designed. This is not the case on the Genesis and you do need to insert a small tube all the way down to the bottom of the pan.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast