Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

genesis motors forum   genesis motors forums

Direct Links: Genesis Motors Brand | Genesis G70 | Genesis G80 | Genesis G90 | Genesis Sedan | Genesis Coupe | Equus
Genesis Forum: 5.0 L V8 Oil/Filter Change 2015
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Schindawg is offline Getting familiar with the group... What I drive: Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    Cars in my garage

Default Re: 5.0 L V8 Oil/Filter Change 2015

Members don't see this ad
    I've always changed my own oil/filter on my vehicles, and until this car it was always from underneath. But with the hassle of removing the panels, I've switched on my V6 Genesis to the suction method. I have the MightyVac hand pump model and it does just fine. The volume it extracts is 7+ quarts so I'm confident I'm getting it all. For the filter, I followed another's suggestion and purchased a low-profile socket. Then I cut off the bottom of a milk jug so there is just a one-inch or so lip, and put it under the filter once I'm able to hand-loosen it, to catch the oil during removal. Using this method, I've found it's actually quicker to change than my other other vehicles! I cannot comment on the V8 as to whether there is room to reach down from the front, but I am more than satisfied with this method for my V6!

Mark_888 is online now Registered Member What I drive: 1G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by Schindawg View Post
    I cannot comment on the V8 as to whether there is room to reach down from the front, but I am more than satisfied with this method for my V6!
    Pretty sure (based on other posts) there is not enough room to reach the oil filter from the top on the V8.

kn5owa is offline Supporting Member What I drive: 2G Genesis 5.0 V8
    Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_888 View Post
    Pretty sure (based on other posts) there is not enough room to reach the oil filter from the top on the V8.
    No way could you access the oil filter on the V8 from above the engine. And, in any case, you still need to remove the front splash panel to access said filter - and that's half the job.

The rear panel extends almost to the center of the car and has to be removed solely to remove the pan plug which is almost laughable.
    Drives '06 Sonata LX V6
    2015 Genesis 5.0 V8
    Montecito Blue

Cars in my garage

I remember seeing V8 oil changing instructions here somewhere, but now I can't find them. Can someone post a link? Does the oil filter direction matter?
    2015 5.0 Ultimate, Casablanca White with Black Interior Build Date July 2014
    Options:
    Mud guards, trunk mat, rear bumper applique, wheel locks
    Customization:Automatic turn on of heated/cooled seats, Automatic raising/lowering of rear sunshade

Other Vehicles:
    2008 Toyota Sequoia Platinum
    2005 Lincoln LS V8

Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by lobsenza View Post
    I remember seeing V8 oil changing instructions here somewhere, but now I can't find them. Can someone post a link? Does the oil filter direction matter?
    The oil filter is NOT directional.

Cars in my garage

Great. I didn't think so. I remember that someone posted pictures of the oil change, but I couldn't find it.

kn5owa is offline Supporting Member What I drive: 2G Genesis 5.0 V8
    Cars in my garage

Great. I didn't think so. I remember that someone posted pictures of the oil change, but I couldn't find it.
    I don't think there is really a start to finish tutorial w/pictures on the 5.0 V8 engine on the forum although people have posted as having done it - not too happily, either.

You have to remove the front splash panel to access the oil filter housing and the rear panel to access the drain plug. Filter placement is critical because it has to be placed symmetrically between two posts - one on the housing and one on the filter cap.

When I get around to doing it, I'm going to take Mark's lead and use a Mity-Vac to remove the oil first, if possible. This is essentially how Mercedes does it nowadays. And, you need a 24 mm socket for the filter cap and a six mm hex wrench for the "drain bolt".

Looks like lots of fun.

Cars in my garage

Try using Google search engine with domain of genesisowners.com

Cars in my garage

The oil change is definitely a pain. But, it is only required every 7500 miles. I use Mobil 1 0w-30.

I definitely think if Hyundai put in removable panels for the filter and drain plug, life would be much easier. I might even do more frequent oil changes.

Genentec is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    Cars in my garage

Members don't see this ad
    just changed oil filter on my 5.0 at dealer. 26 bux can't beat it.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast