Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

genesis motors forum   genesis motors forums

Direct Links: Genesis Motors Brand | Genesis G70 | Genesis G80 | Genesis G90 | Genesis Sedan | Genesis Coupe | Equus
Genesis Forum: Wheel Delamination
    wkwcpapa is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: 1G Genesis 4.6 V8 Tau Sedan
    Cars in my garage

Default Wheel Delamination

Members don't see this ad
    I have a 2011 Genesis 4.6 with 18" wheels. The finished portion of the wheels is delaminating. Has any one experienced this? If so, is there a solution?

homeofstone is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis 4.6 V8 Tau Sedan
    I live in Athens, Georgia, USA
    Cars in my garage

Default Re: Wheel Delamination

There are several treads on this. I have over 185k miles on my 2011 4.6 and the wheels are in great shape, however only mild car wash soap has been used to clean them and I have waxed the wheels when the car is waxed. I also have used spray wax on the wheels after they are washed. Road salts on northern roads is bad for painted wheels as is strong wheel cleaners formulated for chrome or cast wheels.
    Current vehicles:
    2011 4.6 with tech, Athens, GA owner
    2011 Mercedes E63 AMG
    2005 Mercedes E500 w/sport pkg.
    2013 GMC Yukon XL Denali AWD
    1965 Ford Mustang 289cid V8 restored

Mark_888 is online now Registered Member What I drive: 1G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    Cars in my garage

As noted above, harsh chemicals such as alloy or aluminum wheel cleaners should not be used on painted wheels, even if under the paint are alloy or aluminum wheels.

Also, when a car is new, or for awhile after a brake job, a lot of very abrasive brake dust is thrown off that accumulates on the wheels. Extra care should be taken to remove the brake dust, without damaging the painted finish. As Homeofstone noted, waxing the wheels with a polymer car wax helps in this regard.

brianq103 is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    Cars in my garage

Members don't see this ad
    My dealer destroyed my rims when it was in for a detailing. The guy used chrome rim chemical cleaner. They ended up giving me a set of brand new rims of my choice (from what the dealer had access to from Hyundai-no after markets). 2009 with 2016 accessory rims now. I kept the original rims and may powder coat them and use them as my winters.