Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

genesis motors forum   genesis motors forums

Direct Links: Genesis Motors Brand | Genesis G70 | Genesis G80 | Genesis G90 | Genesis Sedan | Genesis Coupe | Equus
Genesis Forum: (#easy) You want a LED DRL on your US Genesis? Read on.
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Fight4Hemp is offline Registered Member What I drive: 2G Genesis 5.0 V8
    I live in Georgia
    Cars in my garage

Default Re: (#easy) You want a LED DRL on your US Genesis? Read on.

Members don't see this ad
    Awesome! Trying it this weekend when I get home...seems like body shop places don't want to mess with the wiring and car audio joints dont want to mess with removing the bumper. DIY here I come. Might youtube my train wreck for you guys lol.

Kroams is offline Registered Member What I drive: 2G Genesis 3.8 V6 Ultimate
    Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fight4Hemp View Post
    Awesome! Trying it this weekend when I get home...seems like body shop places don't want to mess with the wiring and car audio joints dont want to mess with removing the bumper. DIY here I come. Might youtube my train wreck for you guys lol.
    Thanks would be great to have a video

chris41 is offline Registered Member What I drive: 2G Genesis 3.8 V6 Ultimate
    I live in Cleveland
    Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kroams View Post
    Taking a video would be very difficult....

There's very little room to work and very little wire slack. You have to insert the connector back into the plug by feel only after moving the pin. Quite frankly, I think it would be much easier to pull the connector out of the plug, cut the 2 wires, move the pin, plug it back in, and splice the cut wires. It's low voltage wire anyways. The wire is very thin and the pins are very delicate.

Fight4Hemp is offline Registered Member What I drive: 2G Genesis 5.0 V8
    I live in Georgia
    Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kroams View Post
    I actually attempted to remove the bumper yesterday. When I got to removing the bumper after taking all the screws/ect out it seemed like I had to apply much more force then I was comfortable with. Im taking it to a body shop for removal next home time.
    Last edited by Fight4Hemp; 09-04-2016 at 09:34 AM.

Daryey is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    Cars in my garage

Is there anyone in the New York area who can do this for me and also get my Fog lights to work and install LED for DRL, of course i would pay

Munch520 is offline Registered Member What I drive: 2G Genesis 3.8 V6 Ultimate
    I live in Midwest
    Cars in my garage

Psyched to read more on this. Love the idea of a DIY without having to remove the bumper!

srobak is offline Supporting Member What I drive: 2G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Chicagoland
    Cars in my garage

I am probably going to try doing the wire move this weekend. The pictures show a pretty significant change in brightness... I like that a lot.

I live in Chicagoland
    Cars in my garage

Conducted the surgery earlier today. Opted not to play operation though, and instead took the bumper off and remove the headlights. Bumper removal was easy, just a little tedious when pulling it away from the headlights... there was a fair amount of jiggling up and down while pulling and also using the body panel tool, but it came off easy enough.

For those looking to do it - make sure you pry open the driver's side first and get your hand in there to flip the clamp-style connector for the parking sensors and disconnect it. There is almost NO slack at all in that cable.

I also have an Ultimate - so there are headlight washers. Best to have a friend hold the wash out while you spread both of the sets of teeth and wiggle it side to side while pulling, taking it off a couple teeth at a time.

For the headlights themselves - you will need a long screwdriver to leverage on the 2 spots on the bottom where they clip in. The outermost clip you can get to straight on, while the innermost you will need to come under the aluminum bumper bar in order to get to.

The connector in question is in the bottom-facing porthole. Once exposed and remove - you will need a tiny flathead screwdriver to flip open the clip, then you will need to depress the pin in the hole first to get it out of fully engaged location, then again to get it past the flipped open clip. Once free, move it over and re-insert and close the clip. The electrical is actually the easiest part of the whole job.

There was a pretty significant difference in brightness, especially if you crouch down to "oncoming car level"... and at night it is just ridiculous. I am pretty impressed, I have to say. You no longer see a string of individual LEDs... it looks like a solid bar of bright light. Not quite light-tube in nature, but pretty close.

One other thing you can do while you have the bumper off - clean out the bottom of the radiator. Seems to be a catch-all for everything that has flown into the grill. I found a nice pile of leaves and even a small rock collection.

Munch520 is offline Registered Member What I drive: 2G Genesis 3.8 V6 Ultimate
    I live in Midwest
    Cars in my garage

looks awesome! so with this mod the LED strip is brighter/on only in parking mode only (so rear tail lights would be on as well)? or does this activate the LEDs for DRL mode?

I live in Chicagoland
    Cars in my garage

Members don't see this ad
    parking mode only. A lot of guys have been driving like this to get the LEDs to function as DRLs. I've actually been doing it since my 2011 Azera. The good part is - you don't need to turn them off. The shut off after you stop the engine and open the door. My Azera did the same. I just left if there all the time unless I needed headlights - then rolled it forward 1 notch. yes - it keeps the tails on... but hey - that much more more visibility.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast