Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

genesis motors forum   genesis motors forums

Direct Links: Genesis Motors Brand | Genesis G70 | Genesis G80 | Genesis G90 | Genesis Sedan | Genesis Coupe | Equus
Genesis Forum: Windshield Replacement
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    MrB0462 is offline Registered Member What I drive: Equus Signature
    I live in Monroe Township, New Jersey
    Cars in my garage

Default Re: Windshield Replacement

Members don't see this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by homeofstone View Post
    Its not softness of glass. Pits in windshields are caused by weather, road materials and the amount of debris thrown into the air from wind and other vehicles and also speed of your vehicle.
    Yes I had a windshield replaced under warranty when I had a Genesis. Not because of pitting due to pebbles etc. hitting the windshield but because the rain sensor did not work with the existing windshield.

Pitting etc. is not a reason for a warranty replacement it generalyl must be a mechanical issue.

okievision is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: 1G Equus
    I live in Oklahoma
    Cars in my garage

At 47K miles, couldn't stand the pitting of the windshield, especially when driving towards the sunrise/set.
    Safelite replaced with a non OEM, laminated solar glass for $345 total, no insurance help.
    Everything functions fine on the car, no front camera recalibration needed.

Mark_888 is offline Registered Member What I drive: 1G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by okievision View Post
    At 47K miles, couldn't stand the pitting of the windshield, especially when driving towards the sunrise/set.
    Safelite replaced with a non OEM, laminated solar glass for $345 total, no insurance help.
    Everything functions fine on the car, no front camera recalibration needed.
    Do your automatic wipers work (turn on when it starts raining?).

I live in Oklahoma
    Cars in my garage

yes they do, first thing I tested.

Glass says Pilkington Solar in the corner.

dougmcp is online now Been here awhile... What I drive: 1G Genesis Sedan
    I live in Plumas Lake, CALIFORNIA
    Cars in my garage

My 2013 Gen 1 windshield needs replacement (stone bruise). It has lane departure and rain sensing wipers, both sensors are located in the windshield. Cash deal, Safelite quoted $585.95.
    Hyundai's auto glass is no different than any other auto and if they are not chipped/cracked from rock debris are subject to sandblasting from road conditions and debris over time.
    In my Genesis garage: 2013 Hyundai Genesis Sedan

Mark_888 is offline Registered Member What I drive: 1G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    Cars in my garage

yes they do, first thing I tested.

Glass says Pilkington Solar in the corner.
    Good deal.

I live in Oklahoma
    Cars in my garage

Bought this car used and owned now for just a few months . Took clear glass for granted, never had a vehicle as pitted as this one. Did the deal in the evening of course so I didn't really notice at sale time.

I've had full size work trucks with 200K miles of mostly highway and better glass than this Equus! New glass is amazing

To Doug, I thought the sensors were window related too only to discover from the Safelite tech that they're roof mounted and of course hidden by the big plastic cover above the rear view mirror. He said he never had to contact any of that while replacing the glass. All auto controls work including the LDWS.

Future Owner is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: No Genesis Yet!
    I live in Ohio
    Cars in my garage

For what it's worth, German cars are notorious for soft glass. The three German cars I've owned (1 of each make) each had to have its windshield replaced at low miles due to pitting or chipping. By contrast, I've never had to have a windshield in an American or Japanese car replaced for anything but an identifiable road hazard.

dougmcp is online now Been here awhile... What I drive: 1G Genesis Sedan
    I live in Plumas Lake, CALIFORNIA
    Cars in my garage

Members don't see this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by Future Owner View Post
    For what it's worth, German cars are notorious for soft glass. The three German cars I've owned (1 of each make) each had to have its windshield replaced at low miles due to pitting or chipping. By contrast, I've never had to have a windshield in an American or Japanese car replaced for anything but an identifiable road hazard.
    I can't argue with that but part of it may be related to local conditions. My Mercedes SL and Passat both have 175K on them and still have original windshields, a little sandblasted but still serviceable while my Ford F250 has 100K and the original windshield needs replacement from sandblasting. I'm in California and the Ford 4x4 gets all the winter mountain driving with slush, sand etc while the other 2 are fair weather cars.

- - - Updated - - -

Bought this car used and owned now for just a few months . Took clear glass for granted, never had a vehicle as pitted as this one. Did the deal in the evening of course so I didn't really notice at sale time.

I've had full size work trucks with 200K miles of mostly highway and better glass than this Equus! New glass is amazing

To Doug, I thought the sensors were window related too only to discover from the Safelite tech that they're roof mounted and of course hidden by the big plastic cover above the rear view mirror. He said he never had to contact any of that while replacing the glass. All auto controls work including the LDWS.
    That's good info, thanks. I have LDW and Rain sensing wipers and really need to find a reasonable replacement cost for a windshield.
    I'm guessing that the reason that they are expensive is no after market makes them because of low demand as comparatively there are hardly any Genesii out there.
    In my Genesis garage: 2013 Hyundai Genesis Sedan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12