Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

genesis motors forum   genesis motors forums

Direct Links: Genesis Motors Brand | Genesis G70 | Genesis G80 | Genesis G90 | Genesis Sedan | Genesis Coupe | Equus
Genesis Forum: Oil changes
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil changes

BobbyCT is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: Genesis G80
    Cars in my garage

Default Oil changes

Members don't see this ad
    When initially looking at my new G80, I was told that the car needed to be brought in for oil changes every 3700 miles. A few weeks later my salesperson told me that she had learned from her Genesis training that the oil changes would actually only be needed every 7500 miles. However, another person at the dealership told me yesterday when I was picking up my new car to get the oil changed every 3700 miles since 7500 miles was a national average. I have not had a chance to look at the owners manual. Can anyone offer any insight on this? Thanks!

Mark_888 is offline Registered Member What I drive: 1G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    Cars in my garage

Default Re: Oil changes

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyCT View Post
    When initially looking at my new G80, I was told that the car needed to be brought in for oil changes every 3700 miles. A few weeks later my salesperson told me that she had learned from her Genesis training that the oil changes would actually only be needed every 7500 miles. However, another person at the dealership told me yesterday when I was picking up my new car to get the oil changed every 3700 miles since 7500 miles was a national average. I have not had a chance to look at the owners manual. Can anyone offer any insight on this? Thanks!
    Do not ever, ever, ever listen to a dealer regarding maintenance required for your vehicle.

The maintenance schedule required by the manufacturer is described in the Owner's Manual. Read it, understand it, do it.

Dealers stand to benefit financially by providing services to you, even if not needed. That being said, I would recommend full synthetic oil, and if you use that then 7500 miles is fine. If you are leasing, you may not care about the long term reliability of your engine, and may want to use conventional oil.
    Last edited by Mark_888; 10-04-2016 at 01:41 PM.

Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_888 View Post
    Do not ever, ever, ever listen to a dealer regarding maintenance required for your vehicle.

The maintenance schedule required by the manufacturer is described in the Owner's Manual. Read it, understand it, do it.

Dealers stand to benefit financially by providing services to you, even if not needed. That being said, I would recommend full synthetic oil, and if you use that then 7500 miles is fine. If you are leasing, you may not care about the long term reliability of your engine, and may want to use conventional oil.
    Is there a financial benefit to them if they are providing complimentary maintenance? I will look at the owners manual tonight, I just thought I would look for insight from other Genesis owners in the meantime. I appreciate your feedback, thank you.

svandive is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    Cars in my garage

I'm assuming since Genesis Motors picks up the bill for maintenance during the first three years they will have a schedule that matches that of the Owners Manual. However I need to look in to this topic a bit closer. I'm sure that the dealership gets reimbursed from Genesis for the scheduled maintenance and hence its still in their financial best interest to get it done as often as possible. Especially if some of those times they are expecting the owner to pay for "in between services..."

I agree though the Owners manual should always be the final say so on maintenance as it's going to be the bases for what warranty claims or challenges will be tied to.

srobak is offline Supporting Member What I drive: 2G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Chicagoland
    Cars in my garage

Is there a financial benefit to them if they are providing complimentary maintenance?
    Yep. The complimentary maintenance is an HMA thing. Dealer gets reimbursed by HMA for the work.

Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by svandive View Post
    I'm assuming since Genesis Motors picks up the bill for maintenance during the first three years they will have a schedule that matches that of the Owners Manual. However I need to look in to this topic a bit closer. I'm sure that the dealership gets reimbursed from Genesis for the scheduled maintenance and hence its still in their financial best interest to get it done as often as possible. Especially if some of those times they are expecting the owner to pay for "in between services..."

I agree though the Owners manual should always be the final say so on maintenance as it's going to be the bases for what warranty claims or challenges will be tied to.
    I was just a little surprised that I received so many different answers to the simple question of oil change frequency from the dealer. The sales person was the only one I spoke with that had actually attended the Genesis training so I am hoping she is correct. I drive a lot of miles so the longer I can go between oil changes the better. Thank you. I will look at the owners manual when I get home.

Cars in my garage

I was just a little surprised that I received so many different answers to the simple question of oil change frequency from the dealer. The sales person was the only one I spoke with that had actually attended the Genesis training so I am hoping she is correct. I drive a lot of miles so the longer I can go between oil changes the better. Thank you. I will look at the owners manual when I get home.
    Probably the person who told you 3750 didn't even know about G80 complimentary maintenance, which why they told you that. My guess is that if you did get 3750 mile oil changes, they would charge you for the extra oil changes. So if they say 3750 mile oil changes are free under the G80 complimentary maintenance, then I would get it in writing.

srobak is offline Supporting Member What I drive: 2G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Chicagoland
    Cars in my garage

I believe the 3750 comes from the "extreme use" provision that was in the manuals... at least it used to be. I just do it every 5k, and there is a noticeable difference when it is on fresh oil.

silberma is offline Getting familiar with the group... What I drive: Genesis G80
    I live in Palm Beach, FL
    Cars in my garage

My previous BMW 535i has a twin turbo and used synthetic oil with a recommendation to change every 12 months or 12,000. Many dealers and garages push extra oil changes to pad their bottom line. Even my previous Toyota highlander used synthetic. Hyundai need to get with the program and go synthetic.

Cars in my garage

Members don't see this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by silberma View Post
    Hyundai need to get with the program and go synthetic.
    Hyundai is afraid that requiring synthetic will lead to a perception of higher cost of ownership. Right now, since Honda and Toyota require synthetic (they actually only require 0W-20, but that viscosity is only available as a synthetic), Hyundai has a selling point they can use against them. Since Hyundai buyers have been traditionally very price sensitive, that is something they are hesitant to give up.

But I agree that synthetic is the way to go, and is what I use personally. Maybe the new Genesis Motor models will specify synthetic at some point, but even that is a bit sticky since some of their powertrains may be the same as Hyundai vehicles.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast