Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

genesis motors forum   genesis motors forums

Direct Links: Genesis Motors Brand | Genesis G70 | Genesis G80 | Genesis G90 | Genesis Sedan | Genesis Coupe | Equus
Genesis Forum: Oil changes
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oil changes

srobak is offline Supporting Member What I drive: 2G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Chicagoland
    Cars in my garage

Default Re: Oil changes

Members don't see this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by silberma View Post
    My previous BMW 535i has a twin turbo and used synthetic oil with a recommendation to change every 12 months or 12,000. Many dealers and garages push extra oil changes to pad their bottom line. Even my previous Toyota highlander used synthetic. Hyundai need to get with the program and go synthetic.
    If you talk to independent eurocar shops such as The Werk Shop in Lincolnshire IL or Star European Imports in Yorkville - they will tell you that going that long with BMW engines on oil changes is a dangerous game to play. Even synthetic - the viscosity breaks down considerably at that kind of mileage and you end up with leaking seals and gaskets - speeding up their time before failure. It also increases the wear on the cam chain tensioners and can lead to some very expensive removal and teardown repairs in order to replace them and the guides - especially on the V8s.

TWS is probably the best, no-bullshit, family-owned BMW shop I have found in the country, and they are staffed both in the office and on the service floor by passionate enthusiasts who have worked there for decades - not people who are looking to run volume through their shop. They are rated one of the top BMW restoration shops in the country as well, and have _very_ reasonably priced maintenance plans or intervals that are about 1/4 what any dealer costs. Through both of my 7's they were instrumental in saving me tons of money in repair and maintenance, finding the right vehicles and making sure I wasn't getting robbed.

I never go more than 5k between changes on any car, and try to keep it closer to 4k if I can.

silberma is offline Getting familiar with the group... What I drive: Genesis G80
    I live in Palm Beach, FL
    Cars in my garage

Most BMW's are leased vehicles, the dealers then sell them as certified vehicles with an extended warranty to almost 100,000 miles. I doubt that BMW will put their cars at risk by stretching the oil change intervals. You should also recognize that the quality of lube oil has increased tremendously allowing stretching the oil change intervals. In the 1960's SC oil rating was the best, the current best rating is SN. SN oil is designed to provide improved high temperature deposit protection for pistons, more stringent sludge control, and seal compatibility which allow for longer service intervals. Genesis recommends oil changes at 7,500 miles for normal service. This is compatible with other cars that I had which had oil life monitors.

Jetjockey10 is offline Registered Member What I drive: 2G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    Cars in my garage

My car came with a sticker on the inside of the windshield with a notice of "next service" at 3750 miles. I called and asked why, because that is only for 'Extreme conditions" according to the manual and online at the MyHyundai.com site. Ans. No worries, come in at 7,500 miles for an oil change and tire rotation.

I checked with another Genesis dealer that they recommend oil changes at 5,000 miles. Must have come from the BMW shop. ha.

I guess that would eventually screw up the warranty records because it would only be correct every third visit for the 15,000 mile checkup.

I also recommend a high quality synthetic oil.

Regards,

Ray

smirn0ff is offline Registered Member What I drive: 2G Genesis 3.8 V6 AWD Fully Loaded Sedan
    I live in Bulgaria
    Cars in my garage

TOTAL QUARTZ 9000 ENERGY HKS G-310 5W-30
    this is the oil dealer put in my engine on the 30K km first oil change
    Genesis 3.8 V6 HTRAC Premier Plus GT
    KIA Venga 1.6 CVVL 4AT
    [ex]KIA Optima 2.0 CVVL 6AT
    [ex]KIA Ceed 1.6 CRDi 5MT

pmcjr is offline Getting familiar with the group... What I drive: Genesis G80
    I live in Florida
    Cars in my garage

My dealer's svc mgr told me that in addition to 3700 vs 7500 miles for normal or severe conditions, there is a 6 month consideration as well. I will be under 7500 miles at a 6 months interval with my normal driving. So, I will use the 6 month interval requirement which conforms with the Manual as well. This will meet the warranty requirement. I will also use full synthetic making the 7500 miles OK.
    2017 Genesis G80 3.8
    Casablanca White

kn5owa is offline Supporting Member What I drive: 2G Genesis 5.0 V8
    Cars in my garage

My manual (page 7-10) specifies 12 months or 7500 miles under normal usage - read it carefully.

I have used Mobil 1 synthetic since it's inception in 1975 with no problems & currently change the oil/filter once a year in the spring - usually with much less than the specified mileage limit.

Plain vanilla Mobil 1 currently sells for about $25 per 5 qt. jug at WallyWorld. Mobil 1 EP goes for $3 more for those needing the extra security blanket.

What BMW etc. do - I don't care.
    Drives '06 Sonata LX V6
    2015 Genesis 5.0 V8
    Montecito Blue

Mark_888 is online now Registered Member What I drive: 1G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    Cars in my garage

BMW specifies oil change intervals of 10,000 miles on 2014 and newer vehicles. Before that, it was every 15,000 miles.
    http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=868291
    BMW requires synthetic oil for their engines.

onailrof is offline Getting familiar with the group... What I drive: Genesis G80 V6 AWD
    Cars in my garage

Members don't see this ad
    My first oil change for my G80 was set for 3750 as the service reminder when we were going over the car, as the Genesis Genius said they want to do a first oil change earlier (I've also heard this from other car dealers). I did the 3750 oil change and it was free. The service department added another 3750 miles to the service reminder sticker. I'll probably do mine every 7500 miles, as the manual states. I drive a lot of miles, but not in extreme conditions.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12