Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

genesis motors forum   genesis motors forums

Direct Links: Genesis Motors Brand | Genesis G70 | Genesis G80 | Genesis G90 | Genesis Sedan | Genesis Coupe | Equus
Genesis Forum: Oil Catch Can (OCC) on 2017 G80 5.0L
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mcginnpm is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis G80 5.0L
    I live in People's Republic of Maryland
    Cars in my garage

Default Oil Catch Can (OCC) on 2017 G80 5.0L

Members don't see this ad
    I recently completed installation of an ADD W1 Oil Catch Can (OCC) on my 2017 G80 5.0L and finally got around to taking some pictures of it (see attached photos).

I went for a cleaner installation using 3/8" steel tubing vice using rubber tubing. I also wanted to make it easy to swap back to OEM configuration. As you can see in the photos, all that is required to do the swap is remove two bolts and two hose clamps. The whole set-up then comes out in one piece, after which I simply re-connect the OEM PCV hose to the PCV valve.

For a mounting bracket, I bought a steel "L" corner bracket at Lowe's, bent up one leg of the "L" in a bench vice, drilled two holes for the OCC bracket, and trimmed off the excess metal with a hack saw. I bought a bolt and attached the mounting bracket to the unused bolt hole on the valve cover.

For the connectors, I bought two 3/8" threaded nut adapter fittings and two 3/8"x3/8" threaded adapter union fittings at Lowe's. You could also buy 3/8"x3/8" threaded flare x MIP adapter fittings, but the thread on the adapter going into the OCC body is male NPT whereas the hole in the OCC body itself is female NPS, so you'd have to re-tap the threading in the OCC body to female NPT standards. I just used the union fittings (which have NPS threading on both ends) with teflon tape and it worked out fine.

I also bought a 3/8" hose clamp to secure the tubing and help to stabilize the OCC.

For the tubing, I bought a PA-620 and a PA-630 3/8" steel fuel line at AutoZone which comes pre-flared. If you know how to flare steel tube and have the tools to do it, you can just buy stock 3/8" steel tubing and flare it yourself. I also got a tubing bender (free loaner at AutoZone).

I'm thinking of painting the whole contraction up in flat black, but I'll leave that for a later project.

If you've done any research on GDI engines, you know that they have issues with carbon buildup on the intake valves. The buildup comes from the "baking on" of oil vapors and mist that are routed from the PCV system back into the intake plenum. Since fuel is now injected directly into each cylinder, there is no "washing" of the intake valves from the detergents found in most fuels these days or fuel additives that you put in your fuel tank. The OCC helps to capture much of that oil before it can get to the intake plenum. I've only put about 100 miles on my OCC and it's already got about a 1/2mm layer of oil in the bottom of the can so, if I'm doing my math correctly, it has already captured about 1.3ml of oil.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mike
    USMC Ret

17 G80 5.0L
    09 Genesis 4.6L
    98 Volvo S70 Turbo
    92 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
    89 Saab 900 Turbo
    84 Saab 900 Turbo
    72 Volvo 144

jemanner is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: No Genesis Yet!
    I live in Rexburg, ID
    Cars in my garage

Default Re: Oil Catch Can (OCC) on 2017 G80 5.0L

Been doing a lot or research in regard to the intake valve deposits on DI engines. There are some eye-opening photos out there. It appears manufacturers went with DI for better performance and fuel economy, and now owners are suffering from the unanticipated (or ignored by the builders) long-term problems. However, some engines are worse than others. One particularly affected mill is the VW/Audi 2.0 TFSI. Possibly a catch can will help, but does the EGR system also add to this issue? I have seen no comparative/controlled reporting of results. Toyota's new 2GR-FKS V-6 incorporates a combination of port and direct injection, which should solve the problem. Ironically, in Germany the Audi 2.0 TFSI is fitted with dual injection, but not on the vehicles sold in the U.S. The only present solution pulling the intake manifold and walnut-shell blasting the intake valves/ports, an expensive procedure. Other solutions, such as additives, have been essentially ineffective. Once the deposits are on the valves, it does not come off easily. This said, am seriously considering purchasing a G80, and will definitely add a Catch Can. And finally, have any Genesis owners encountered the problem? Please chime in!

Cars in my garage

Recall that EGR is "exhaust gas recirculation". Any oil mist or oil vapor that made it to the cylinder via the PCV side of the equation was probably burned when the spark plug ignited the fuel-air mixture. I'm sure that there is other "nastiness" that ends up back on the intake side of the equation via EGR, but I doubt that another OCC in that circuit would do anything for those issues.

I think that the OEM's opted not to put OCC's in their vehicles because most car owners are worse than lazy and would never check and empty the OCC on a regular basis. Can you imaging what would happen when the oil in a full OCC starts getting sucked wholesale into the intakes? Besides, the carbon deposits on the intake valves will guarantee business for the dealers or other service providers 20,000 to 40,000 miles down the road when the intake valves need to be cleaned.

I too have found in my research that this issue with GDI engines varies from model to model. I've read that true synthetic oils (such as Amsoil) help due to a lower NOACK volatility (i.e., the oil vaporizes at a higher temperature), thus less vapor is passing through the PCV system. I'll be tracking how much oil my OCC intercepts and I'll try to remember to post the results from time to time. I was quite surprised to see that I had over 1ml of oil in the can after only 100 miles.

Cars in my garage

I got around to painting it up this weekend. See the attached photo. Post #1 has the "before" photos.

rogerlange is offline Registered Member What I drive: 2G Genesis 5.0 V8 Ultimate
    Cars in my garage

Looks very professional , You should make up a kit with the required components, Size it for a direct installation on the 5.0 motor. I know that i for sure would purchase one of the kits, and so would a lot of other 5.0 l owners.
    Roger
    2015 genesis 5.0L H-Trac ultimate

Cars in my garage

Ahhh...if only I had the time to do that. I'd be a millionaire, right?

Here's a parts list for items that I purchased from Lowe's and AutoZone. Similar items from other vendors would do the trick. I used the hose clamps that came with the ADD W1 OCC. I've also added some shots of the whole contraption before it was installed which give a better idea of how I bent and trimmed up the bracket and did the tubing bends.

From Lowe’s
    Item# - Description
    645735 - BrassCraft 3/8-in Threaded Nut Adapter Fitting x 2
    645719 - BrassCraft 3/8-in x 3/8-in Threaded Adapter Union Fitting x 2 (used teflon tape on threads)
    64776 - Stanley-National Hardware 6-in Zinc Corner Brace (bent it in a bench vice, drilled 2 holes to mount the OCC, trimmed off excess material with hacksaw)
    139489 - Hillman Group 2-Pack 1.42-in L Steel Clamps (used 1 of the 2 clamps)
    138935 - Hillman Group 2-Count 6-mm-1.0 x 25-mm Hex Washer-Head Zinc-Plated Hardened Metric Body Bolts (used 1 of the 2 bolts, had to cut about 5mm off the bolt to fit the hole on the valve cover)

From AutoZone
    Item# - Description
    216465 - AGS Poly Armour Brake Tubing PAX-630 (bent as needed with the tube bender, be sure to put the nut adaptor fittings on before bending the tubing)
    216457 - AGS Poly Armour Brake Tubing PAX-620 (bent as needed with the tube bender)
    391367 - OEM Tube Bender (free loaner tool from AutoZone)
    Ask if you can get a 2" scrap of 3/8" ID rubber fuel line hose, as that's all you'll need to hook up to the PCV valve

The trickiest part is bending the tubing. I "mapped out" my bends with coat hanger wire prior to bending the tubing.
    Last edited by mcginnpm; 11-28-2016 at 10:19 PM.

Cars in my garage

I just got back today from a trip to Georgia and have put about 1,600 miles on my G80 since I installed the oil catch can (OCC). As you can see in the attached photo, I've intercepted just a little more than 30 ml of oil, or about 1 ml per 50 miles.

I've gotta say I'm glad that stuff isn't ending up baked onto my intake valves.

I'm gonna check the OCC again in another 1,500 miles to see how much oil I get. I'll post my results when I do. The OCC looks like it can safely hold about 120 ml, so, if the capture rate stays the same, I'll feel pretty safe establishing a "drain interval" at every 6,000 miles.

Cars in my garage

I did another drain today after a total of 2500 miles on the OCC and I've captured a total of about 60 ml of oil, or an average of about 1 ml per 40 miles of driving.

Most of my recent driving has been short distance, stop and go, whereas the first 1000 or so miles were primarily on the interstate. It looks like the capture rate is around 1 ml per 50-55 miles on the interstate and 1 ml per 30-35 miles in town.

If this rates keeps up, I should have about 190 ml of oil by the time I get to my first oil change at 7500 miles.

Larry Reimer is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: 2017 G80
    I live in Fort Lauderdale FL
    Cars in my garage

I only use Shell V-Power Nitro+ in my car, which I have found in earlier GDI Cars, takes care of the issue without a Catch Can

celltech is online now Registered Member What I drive: 2G Genesis 5.0 V8
    I live in Dallas, TX
    Cars in my garage

Members don't see this ad
    Have you considered adding any internal baffling or steel mesh to help catch more oil? I just ordered what looks to be a generic, hence cheaper, of the same OCC to see what I get. But I think I may add something inside to prevent vapors from just flowing through...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast