Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

genesis motors forum   genesis motors forums

Direct Links: Genesis Motors Brand | Genesis G70 | Genesis G80 | Genesis G90 | Genesis Sedan | Genesis Coupe | Equus
Genesis Forum: Oil Catch Can (OCC) on 2017 G80 5.0L
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mcginnpm is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis G80 5.0L
    I live in People's Republic of Maryland
    Cars in my garage

Default Re: Oil Catch Can (OCC) on 2017 G80 5.0L

Members don't see this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Reimer View Post
    I only use Shell V-Power Nitro+ in my car, which I have found in earlier GDI Cars, takes care of the issue without a Catch Can
    I'd be interested to know how any fuel additive can help with keeping intake valves clean, seeing as gas is directly injected (thus the term GDI) into the cylinder. You no longer get the "washing" effect from fuel that is injected onto the intake valves using the older form of fuel injection, or fuel that is atomized in those old carburetors. I've read that some engine manufacturers are looking at going to a mix of GDI and "classic" fuel injection to try and solve the intake valve fouling issue.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by celltech View Post
    Have you considered adding any internal baffling or steel mesh to help catch more oil? I just ordered what looks to be a generic, hence cheaper, of the same OCC to see what I get. But I think I may add something inside to prevent vapors from just flowing through...
    I added steel mesh to mine when I installed it. I've considered also adding some baffling, but when I've checked the line running from the OCC to the intake (by running a Q-tip up in it), I've found it to be completely dry, whereas the line going into the OCC is coated with oil, so I figure I'm catching the lion's share of the oil coming from the PCV side in the OCC.
    Mike
    USMC Ret

17 G80 5.0L
    09 Genesis 4.6L
    98 Volvo S70 Turbo
    92 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
    89 Saab 900 Turbo
    84 Saab 900 Turbo
    72 Volvo 144

pmcjr is offline Getting familiar with the group... What I drive: Genesis G80
    I live in Florida
    Cars in my garage

Has your dealer seen this yet? What is their reaction?
    2017 Genesis G80 3.8
    Casablanca White

mcginnpm is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis G80 5.0L
    I live in People's Republic of Maryland
    Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by pmcjr View Post
    Has your dealer seen this yet? What is their reaction?
    As you can see from my posts above, I've made this very simple to remove and re-install. All I have to do is remove 2 bolts and loosen 2 hose clamps and the entire OCC comes out as one unit. I used the OEM PCV hose as part of my installation, so all I have to do is reconnect that hose to the PCV valve and, voila, the car is back in OEM configuration.

My G-80 will never go to the dealer with the OCC installed, and I've never mentioned it to them. I've read stories that an OCC is OK as far as warranties go, and I've read stories where car manufactures have claimed that the OCC voided the warranty. I'll err to the conservative side.

celltech is online now Registered Member What I drive: 2G Genesis 5.0 V8
    I live in Dallas, TX
    Cars in my garage

Ok...time to report on my OCC. I ordered a black one but all they had was blue and red, so I went with red to match the intake banding. It was an e-bay special that I think is the cheaper, non-branded version of the one the OP installed. I didn't really feel like bending metal tubing and went with the cheap rubber fuel hose method. The bracket is made with some cheap aluminum bar that I had from a previous project. I bent it with nothing more than 2 crescent wrenches. The little piece of foam between the bracket and OCC keeps it from vibrating around. There are 2 bolts holding down the cover over the ignition wires. I "borrowed" one of them to secure the can. It's an odd metric size and I still need to find a replacement to put back on the cover, but even with only 1 remaining it seems pretty secure.

I installed it about 1000 miles ago and just opened it to see what I had caught. I was both amazed and disgusted. Glad I caught this from going on the backside of my intake valves!!! So I can recommend this as a great weekend project that may extend the life of your motor and save you from an expensive cleaning on down the road.
    Attached Images Attached Images

BJCaspianBlack is offline Registered Member What I drive: 2G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Eastern Washington State
    Cars in my garage

Stupid Question. What is the warranty concerning this problem? I have been told, by dealers, it is a non issue up to 100,000 miles? I will believe it, however, when I see it, but still. So many manufactures are going to the GDI design that I have to wonder what the warranty will really be. With so many vehicles out there something has to give! Manufactures will pay a high price in sales if their engines start to fail at 75k miles of so. There is a problem, there must be a solution?

celltech is online now Registered Member What I drive: 2G Genesis 5.0 V8
    I live in Dallas, TX
    Cars in my garage

Good question...and I have no idea. They may blame your "cheap gas" or lack of proper oil changes. This mod may fix nothing as these engines may not buildup carbon like Audis do :-) They may have some intake valve overlap to allow some gas mist to pass around the back side. But it's cheap and fun enough to try if you like cars. I would rather not pass that oil through my intake...

Mark_888 is online now Registered Member What I drive: 1G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by BJCaspianBlack View Post
    Stupid Question. What is the warranty concerning this problem? I have been told, by dealers, it is a non issue up to 100,000 miles? I will believe it, however, when I see it, but still. So many manufactures are going to the GDI design that I have to wonder what the warranty will really be. With so many vehicles out there something has to give! Manufactures will pay a high price in sales if their engines start to fail at 75k miles of so. There is a problem, there must be a solution?
    The carbon buildup will not likely cause an engine to fail, just not operate in an optimum mode. So they will probably just say that it is "normal" and not fix it under warranty.

Meanwhile, Toyota has a V6 (D-4S ) out that operates in dual mode (DGI and FI) to resolve this problem. The FI works in certain situations when the engine determines it is a good time to clean the engine (based on engine temp and RPM).
    http://wardsauto.com/technology/toyo...feature-tacoma
    The above article is a little old, and I believe the D-4S is also used on several other Toyota models also.

jemanner is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: No Genesis Yet!
    I live in Rexburg, ID
    Cars in my garage

Members don't see this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_888 View Post
    Toyota has a V6 (D-4S ) out that operates in dual mode (DGI and FI) to resolve this problem. The FI works in certain situations when the engine determines it is a good time to clean the engine (based on engine temp and RPM).
    http://wardsauto.com/technology/toyo...feature-tacoma
    The above article is a little old, and I believe the D-4S is also used on several other Toyota models also.
    Yes, the D4S system is appearing in other Toyota models, such as the Highlander. I would suspect it will be across the model line soon. Hopefully the dual injection will alleviate intake valve deposits. However, the prime reason for the dual injection is to meet future emissions standards. There are conflicting professional opinions if it will solve the intake valve deposit issue, i.e. that it only runs in the port injection mode on certain occasions. We can only hope. Ironically, Audi/VW, where intake valve deposits are a big issue, use dual injection in Europe, but not yet in the United States, and this is definitely as a result of the tighter emissions requirements abroad. At the corporate level it is all about profit. So if they can get you out of warranty before the expensive valve deposit cleaning is necessary, and not increase production costs, they are happy. I joke it would be a good time to invest in the companies which manufacture the media (walnut shells) blasters necessary to properly clean the intake valves. I feel sorry for those who have the intake ports situated whereas one must pull the head(s).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12