Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

genesis motors forum   genesis motors forums

Direct Links: Genesis Motors Brand | Genesis G70 | Genesis G80 | Genesis G90 | Genesis Sedan | Genesis Coupe | Equus
Genesis Forum: Commuting in Stop and Go Traffic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Riley2323 is offline Getting familiar with the group... What I drive: 2017 G90 Ultimate, Caspian Black
    I live in Connecticut
    Cars in my garage

Default Commuting in Stop and Go Traffic

Members don't see this ad
    Today was my first commute. Got on 684 at 8ish am which can be an accordion nightmare on any given day. Set the smart cruise control at 80 MPH and the distance between cars at only one notch and it was heaven. Didn't hit the break once to and from work for 30 plus miles each way. Came to a complete stop several times and the car handled beautifully. Had to mess with the virtual notches between cars a few times until I got comfortable. Went with the aggressive 1 notch after my confidence was assuaged by the performance of the braking. Works on the off ramps too. Wasn't sure if it would disengage at certain MpH as the lane assist does. My greatest fear is that I will read about a trick or spot to put a finger to prevent the steering wheel from not sensing my hands. I would be afraid that I would take advantage of it. Also sort of concerned about the bad habits this technology can create and nurture.

mcginnpm is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis G80 5.0L
    I live in People's Republic of Maryland
    Cars in my garage

Default Re: Commuting in Stop and Go Traffic

Just did the same with my new G80...nearly 400 miles down I-95 to GA and back...and the adaptive cruise control worked like a charm. It even slammed on the brakes with no intervention from me when a guy I was behind slammed on his, and then it promptly accelerated back to cruise speed when the guy in front of me sped up. There were only a few instances, when packs of cars were jockeying for position around the 18-wheelers, where I "chickened out" and went back to "manual control". It probably would have done fine if I'd just let the cruise control do it's thing. My only gripe is that at one notch of following distance, the gap is too big and other cars jumped into the gap to get around the 18-wheelers.
    Mike
    USMC Ret

17 G80 5.0L
    09 Genesis 4.6L
    98 Volvo S70 Turbo
    92 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
    89 Saab 900 Turbo
    84 Saab 900 Turbo
    72 Volvo 144

Riley2323 is offline Getting familiar with the group... What I drive: 2017 G90 Ultimate, Caspian Black
    I live in Connecticut
    Cars in my garage

I haven't done enough experimenting or reading yet to know whether the gap is distance based and static or if it is variable distance based on speed. In other words is one notch equal to 30 feet whether you are going 10 MPH or 80 MPH or is it using a type of 2-3 second rule to allow for breaking distance. I will try to judge tomorrow. I am guessing cars were getting into your gap at slower speeds?

The other issue that is annoying and definitely a 1st world problem, and I have heard others mention too, is the whole getting behind a slow poke when the slow lane is wide open. If you are not driving aggressively and actively you can find yourself going several miles below set speed on the SCC. Maybe they need a separate radar or camera checking the lane to the left and right on two or more lane highways. It could be called an aggressive passing assist option. I am only half serious, but the thought of it throttling heavy and whipping around a car with SCC would be sweet.

Aquineas is online now Been here awhile... What I drive: Genesis 5.0 V8 Ultimate
    I live in Georgetown, TX
    Cars in my garage

As an owner of a 2015 5.0 (DH) and an owner of the previous generation (BH), I will say that the DH Genesis "plays chicken" a bit more than on the previous generations and waits a bit to brake, which I'm not sure I'm as comfortable with. The adaptive cruise control was quicker to slow down on the BH models.
    Genesis Mods:
    Lowering Springs
    20" Wheels
    2x12 Subwoofer
    Stoptech Rotors + Pads
    KDM Headlights
    Rigid Subframe Collar
    In my Genesis garage: 2015 Hyundai Genesis

DubbuD is online now Been here awhile... What I drive: 2G Genesis Sedan
    I live in St. John's, Newfoundland - Canada
    Cars in my garage

Yeah, I drove 400 km towards central NL a few times and back now using adaptive cruise, LKAS, etc. Only times I intervened were when I wanted to accelerate heavy to get around slow moving big rigs in the park. Otherwise it worked wonderfully and I didn't have to touch the gas or brake the whole ride. It'd be neat if the car would let you keep your hands off the wheel and just give you a reminder to keep an eye on the road every 10 or 15 seconds, but it isn't the point of the system, and I probably wouldn't be overly comfortable with that anyway. Hahaha.
    2015 Genesis 3.8 H-Trac AWD
    Tech Package
    Parisian Grey
    In my Genesis garage: 2015 Hyundai Genesis Sedan

Fahrfrumwurken is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: 2G Genesis 3.8 V6 Ultimate AWD
    I live in North Carolina
    Cars in my garage

Absolutely love Adaptive Cruise Control! One thing to watch though...if you are passing traffic in a left lane and coming into a left direction curve with slow traffic in the right lane already into curve, your car will pick them up and instantly slow drastically. Your cruise reads straight ahead so make sure you are not directly in line of sight of slow traffic, or cancel adaptive cruise and resume after clearing the traffic. Scared the crap out of me the first time it happened! More applicable to highway driving than stop and go traffic.

DubbuD is online now Been here awhile... What I drive: 2G Genesis Sedan
    I live in St. John's, Newfoundland - Canada
    Cars in my garage

Yeah I've had that happen a couple of times now. I just turn it off and keep going when it does that. :P

Genesis Motors is offline Genesis Motors Forum What I drive: 2G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Royal Palm Beach, Florida
    Cars in my garage

Aggressive passing assist! I love that idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Fahrfrumwurken View Post
    Absolutely love Adaptive Cruise Control! One thing to watch though...if you are passing traffic in a left lane and coming into a left direction curve with slow traffic in the right lane already into curve, your car will pick them up and instantly slow drastically. Your cruise reads straight ahead so make sure you are not directly in line of sight of slow traffic, or cancel adaptive cruise and resume after clearing the traffic. Scared the crap out of me the first time it happened! More applicable to highway driving than stop and go traffic.
    Yeah, there are certainly a few quirks involved with this technology. But it seems Genesis has done a great job making it work. One thing I certainly don't like is how my car sometimes brake-checks the people behind me - or at least appears to - when certain things happen in front of it. I almost want to put a sticker or license plate frame on my car that says something like, "It wasn't me! It was the car...".

Have an iPhone or Android? Then you can be connected with everything automotive in your area.
    Download the Cars Connected app for your iPhone or Android device today!

Get your Genesis for the lowest price possible! Go to TrueCar.com first!

Visit the Genesis Owners Group on Facebook and Google Plus!

Help support our community. For as little as $4.00 per month, you can help us pay our server bills,
    software bills, licensing, renewal & upgrade fees and more... Click here for more information.

I live in Connecticut
    Cars in my garage

I have yet to confirm that the brake lights actually come on with Smart CC. Waiting for my memory to kick in and coincide with night time so I can see the reflection on the road. I just assume they do! If not one would definitely need the it's the car sticker.

markpoisson is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    Cars in my garage

Members don't see this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by Riley2323 View Post
    I have yet to confirm that the brake lights actually come on with Smart CC. Waiting for my memory to kick in and coincide with night time so I can see the reflection on the road. I just assume they do! If not one would definitely need the it's the car sticker.
    They do - i confirmed that with my wife awhile back. Same as Auto Hold - brake lights are on.
    2015 Genesis 3.8 Ultimate
    2013 Sante Fe Limited

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast