Registered members do not see this advertisement! Remove it by signing up for free.
genesis motors forum   genesis motors forums

Direct Links: Genesis Motors Brand | Genesis G70 | Genesis G80 | Genesis G90 | Genesis Sedan | Genesis Coupe | Equus
Genesis Forum: G90 Stall

Thread: G90 Stall

Cars in my garage

Default G90 Stall

Members don't see this ad
    I hate to write this and nearly did the first time it happened, on Monday, but figured I better not unless I was absolutely sure I didn't bump something.

My G90 has stalled twice on me in the exact same spot. I drive down a fairly steep hill from my house to the feeder road to the interstate. The road is windy too. It levels out and is briefly slightly up hill at the stop light on the intersection. Each time I come up to the light and am ready to either completely stop or just slightly coast for a right turn on red or it could be green it has stalled. The exact same spot twice. Very strange indeed.

Once was just less than a 1/4 tank of gas and the other was with just over 3/4 of tank. The second time I had witnesses...my son and his girlfriend.

I have no idea what is causing it, but figured I'd post to see if anyone else has experienced something similar. It has stalled no where else. The car in both cases spent the night in my garage and it has been coldish high twenties to low thirties. The exact same distance and route from my garage to the intersection.

It almost feels like it is a sensor or safety feature kicking in inappropriately.

I will monitor and try to solve this puzzle. Hopefully it is something I am doing...I will wait to see if it happens again and hopefully just make it to my first service.

Mark_888 is online now Registered Member What I drive: 1G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    Cars in my garage

Default Re: G90 Stall

Which engine do you have? 3.3 V6 Turbo, or 5.0 V8?

If you can keep reproducing the problem at that location, you may need to take a dealer tech or service writer there to witness it. They are usually not keen on other kinds of witnesses.

jsmit86 is offline Registered Member What I drive: 2G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Elgin, IL
    Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by Riley2323 View Post
    I hate to write this and nearly did the first time it happened, on Monday, but figured I better not unless I was absolutely sure I didn't bump something.

My G90 has stalled twice on me in the exact same spot. I drive down a fairly steep hill from my house to the feeder road to the interstate. The road is windy too. It levels out and is briefly slightly up hill at the stop light on the intersection. Each time I come up to the light and am ready to either completely stop or just slightly coast for a right turn on red or it could be green it has stalled. The exact same spot twice. Very strange indeed.

Once was just less than a 1/4 tank of gas and the other was with just over 3/4 of tank. The second time I had witnesses...my son and his girlfriend.

I have no idea what is causing it, but figured I'd post to see if anyone else has experienced something similar. It has stalled no where else. The car in both cases spent the night in my garage and it has been coldish high twenties to low thirties. The exact same distance and route from my garage to the intersection.

It almost feels like it is a sensor or safety feature kicking in inappropriately.

I will monitor and try to solve this puzzle. Hopefully it is something I am doing...I will wait to see if it happens again and hopefully just make it to my first service.

Try turning off your auto braking, and see if that stops it. You reference downhill and then a switch to up hill. Possibly the radar is confusing the change of terrain with an obstacle.
    If that does not solve the issue, see your dealer pronto. (Not sure if stall meant slowing or stopping vs. engine cutting off. If the latter, my comment does not apply.)
    2015 Genesis Signature 3.8 AWD
    Montecito Blue/Beige Interior

Cars in my garage

5.0 AWD. I was thinking the exact same thing about the auto-break and terrain and/or cross traffic.

Unfortunately it is an engine cut though.

The stress of the immediate aftermath, nose out in traffic or holding up traffic behind me makes it difficult to be scientific or methodical. It is always the cliche Hollywood moment where you think you would be able to quickly get away from doom, but no; you fumble among break being depressed, shifter being depressed, forgetting to hit the park button and pressing the start button.

I think it went to neutral both times..not sure though.

Will keep monitoring. The car is way too perfect and awesome for this to be anything more than a small software glitch...I presume, I hope.

The witnesses comment I meant only for my sanity, not the dealership.

Genesis Motors is offline Genesis Motors Forum What I drive: 2G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Royal Palm Beach, Florida
    Cars in my garage

Maybe have a passenger use a video camera to record the incident. Yes, I'm sure it's something that can be fixed without much trouble. It sounds like a "new car" (first generation) glitch of some sort. It's certainly not something you're going to have to deal with as part of ownership.

I'm going to make this discussion a "sticky" so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle. It's an important issue...

Have an iPhone or Android? Then you can be connected with everything automotive in your area.
    Download the Cars Connected app for your iPhone or Android device today!

Get your Genesis for the lowest price possible! Go to TrueCar.com first!

Visit the Genesis Owners Group on Facebook and Google Plus!

Help support our community. For as little as $4.00 per month, you can help us pay our server bills,
    software bills, licensing, renewal & upgrade fees and more... Click here for more information.
    In my Genesis garage: 2015 Hyundai Genesis Sedan

Cars in my garage

Have had zero stalls since posting. Thought maybe I would experience something with the sub freezing temperatures over the past week and especially this weekend. Nothing.

Making a sticky thread boring is a good problem to have in this case.

Cars in my garage

Members don't see this ad
    On nearly 3500 miles. Nothing since my initial post. Maybe I got a bad batch of gas. Feel free to unsticky this so we don't kill Genesis brand equity and hurt our trade-in value.