Registered members do not see this advertisement! Remove it by signing up for free.
genesis motors forum   genesis motors forums

Direct Links: Genesis Motors Brand | Genesis G70 | Genesis G80 | Genesis G90 | Genesis Sedan | Genesis Coupe | Equus
Genesis Forum: 2017 G90 V8 Ultimate HTRAC first impressions
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Rey is offline Registered Member What I drive: '14 Equus Signature
    I live in Salem, OR
    Cars in my garage

Default Re: 2017 G90 V8 Ultimate HTRAC first impressions

Members don't see this ad
    Not to be fearful of servicing the G90 5.0 V8. This drive train has been in production since 2012 on the Genesis and is well known by Hyundai dealers. Seems very reliable.
    Routine service like oil changes, fluid changes, transmission service can be easily done by independent mechanics. None of it is brain surgery.
    Electronic/electrical problems usually require dealership diagnosis. BUT, most electronics quickly "burn in" and remain good for the life of the car.

1xbuck is offline Hasn't posted much yet... I live in Carmel, IN
    Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by 5 Timer View Post
    Thanks for relating your impressions. Informative and aids in my decision making.

I've been mulling over trading up to the G90 5.0 AWD. They seem to be in short supply in the west,
    although I found a white one in Roseville, CA, the closest G90 dealer to me in Reno.
    Just not sure if I want to make a 2+ hour drive for servicing/warranty repairs.
    I too live about 2 and a half hours from the dealer where I I purchased my G90. As I have been informed, you new Genesis valet type service will be honored by any Genesis dealership. I have already been assured that by my local dealer.

hogbreth is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: No Genesis Yet!
    Cars in my garage

Thanks for the review I'm not much at posting but I have had my G90 White with beige interior and V8 now for 6 weeks and around 4500 miles. I noticed a lot of the observations made by the writer of the previous post but the only thing that I found irritating was in the lane keep mode on long straight stretches that I had the same problem being yelled at for not having my hands on the wheel when they were. I've considered putting some type of clip to simulate my hand on the wheel to see if this would help. On a sand note I drove the new car from Florida to Houston for Christmas. In Lake Charles Louisiana in the dark and raining I ran over a 4X4 laying across the slow lane of I10. So far the repair has required 2 right side rims 1 front right tire and a new rack and pinion, $6500. Wish I could say hello to the person who dropped it on the road.I love the car and being a car guy it really hurt when I damaged the car.

macbrett is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: Genesis G90
    I live in California
    Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by hogbreth View Post
    ...I had the same problem being yelled at for not having my hands on the wheel when they were. I've considered putting some type of clip to simulate my hand on the wheel to see if this would help.
    I'm pretty sure that won't do it. It seems to only sense actual steering input, not grip pressure.

Sorry to hear about the damage to your new car. That must have been heartbreaking.

Billfz1 is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis 5.0 V8 R-Spec Sedan
    Cars in my garage

5 timer,
    You wouldn't have to make the drive. If you buy the G90 the service guys come to you and leave you a loaner and take your car in and return it after servicing.
    Bill
    Bill
    2013 Red w/black 5.0 R Spec. Yes I got one!

Goaterguy is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: No Genesis Yet!
    Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by hogbreth View Post
    I had the same problem being yelled at for not having my hands on the wheel when they were. I've considered putting some type of clip to simulate my hand on the wheel to see if this would help.
    LKAS seems to sense your hand weight to the left or right of the wheel. If you keep it at the bottom, it may yell at you.

1xbuck is offline Hasn't posted much yet... I live in Carmel, IN
    Cars in my garage

This is my second Genesis. My first was a 3.8 Ultimate with Htrac in April of 2014. Had there been Htrac available on the 5.0 at the time I would have gotten the 5.0. The feature I liked about the Htrac is the "snow" mode on the drive mode selection. It worked extremely well while driving in snow. I would go back and forth between modes and there was a clear difference going into snow mode. Unfortunately, my G90 5.0 with Htrac appears to not have the snow mode. Perhaps, I just haven't been able to locate it, but there is also no reference to it in the owner's manual. I will also agree with placement of the seat controls. I had no problem with there placement on my 3.8, but there is noticeably a lot less room for my hands in G90 especially for my big hands and big body. Since some have said there steering wheel retracts upon exit, I might have an issue with my G90. On my 3.8, I loved the fact that the steering wheel not only retracted, but also raised up when the ignition was turned off. For some reason, the steering column in my G90 only retracts and doesn't raise up. In addition, it only does it when I open the driver side door to exit the vehicle. Maybe there is a setup that I have yet to find, if not, that is a disappointment. Hopefully, it is user error.

I have had no issues with the volume controls either on the the console or steering wheel. I appreciate the fact that my concerns about the placement of the volume control were addressed for the 3.8. I can count how many times I found my myself adjusting the climate control on my 3.8 because those controls were immediately under the touch screen. That is another thing that is a minor disappointment. I will miss the touchscreen capability and the DVD/CD slot. I guess technology is moving past DVDs. One thing I don't care for is that I still have to deal with the annoying confirmation message every time I start the car. I also have had to deal with my daughter having control of the audio controls from the back seat. There is a way to isolate control to the driver, but I haven't gotten through the volumes of manuals?

As far as the ride is concerned, I have nothing but good things to say. Now it is not as agile as my 3.8, but the ride is amazing. It is the most quiet car, I have ever driven. It sits a little higher than the 3.8 too. The ride though, is simply magnificent. After buying my car in Chicago, I had about 2 hours of very nice straight line highway. I drive fast and let's just say that the 5.0's muscle barely strained as I cruised well over a 100 mph. My experience in snow has been limited to just a few inches since we haven't seen much snowfall. However, traction was excellent and predictable. Tomorrow I will hit 1000 miles and I am enjoying it. Looking forward to my extended drives coming up this spring.

As far as the hands on the steering wheel issue. That is the one drawback only because my wife drives a Tesla. Other than that I have not experienced the beeping keeping my hand in on position. However, I drive with my hand at the bottom of the steering wheel and I guess there is enough feedback. What I have noticed is if I keep my body positioned still for awhile while driving at night that a warning comes up suggesting I a cup of coffee to keep me awake. lol

Aquineas is offline Supporting Member What I drive: Genesis 5.0 V8 Ultimate
    I live in Georgetown, TX
    Cars in my garage

1xbuck, on the G80/Hyundai Genesis, snow mode is activated by holding down the driving mode selection for a few seconds. I'm not certain if this translates to the G90 or not, but the two cars share a lot of innards, so it's worth a shot. I hope this helps!
    Austin Genesis Meetup!! Feb 26th at 11:00am in the Carrabbas parking lot next to Rudy's on 183

Genesis Mods:
    Lowering Springs
    20" Wheels
    2x12 Subwoofer
    Stoptech Rotors + Pads
    KDM Headlights
    Rigid Subframe Collar

mtmtmt is online now Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: Genesis G90
    I live in Northeast PA
    Cars in my garage

There is no "snow" mode on the G90, at least not on mine.
    Also, the steering column does indeed retract and raise up, unless you have it positioned all the way up already. Then it won't go any higher.
    I keep my hand on the bottom of the wheel when I drive and I have been warned to keep my hands on the wheel. One time, I grabbed the wheel at 10:00, but the warning kept going. When I rotated the steering wheel slightly, the warning went away.

Aquineas is offline Supporting Member What I drive: Genesis 5.0 V8 Ultimate
    I live in Georgetown, TX
    Cars in my garage

Members don't see this ad
    mtmtmt, thank you for clarifying. Sorry to all for the misleading information.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast