Registered members do not see this advertisement! Remove it by signing up for free.
genesis motors forum   genesis motors forums

Direct Links: Genesis Motors Brand | Genesis G70 | Genesis G80 | Genesis G90 | Genesis Sedan | Genesis Coupe | Equus
Genesis Forum: Wheel Locks
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wheel Locks

PMCErnie is offline Registered Member What I drive: 1G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Richmond, VA
    Cars in my garage

Default Re: Wheel Locks

Members don't see this ad
    Just put the lock key in the trunk, under the floor with the spare tire. Isn't that where one would look for it, if needed? Oofah!
    2012 Cabernet Red Pearl & Cashmere
    3.8 V-6 with Premium Pkg only

Mods/Accessories: Trunk wings, wheel cap wings, chrome side trim, illuminated door sills, mud guards, all-weather winter floor mats and trunk cargo mat. Llumar Air Blue 80 ceramic tint. Custom-made left foot rest/dead pedal.

- 2014 Santa Fe Sport 2.0T AWD

mcginnpm is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis G80 5.0L
    I live in People's Republic of Maryland
    Cars in my garage

There should also have been some registration paperwork with the wheel locks. At a minimum, make sure you keep that (and I'd make a copy and stick it some place else safe as a back up). You'll need the contact information and the key code to get a new key if you lose yours. If you don't have that paperwork, check with the dealer where you purchased the car.
    Mike
    USMC Ret

17 G80 5.0L
    09 Genesis 4.6L
    98 Volvo S70 Turbo
    92 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
    89 Saab 900 Turbo
    84 Saab 900 Turbo
    72 Volvo 144

ratledge is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Charleston SC
    Cars in my garage

Lightbulb Re: Wheel Locks

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_888 View Post
    Make sure you don't loose the wheel locks, or you will go through hell if you have a flat tire, or if you need new tires, or even need tires rotated.
    I've never had an issue with my Genny, but the wife's '08 Azera proved this could end up being a real mess: when I took it to get her rear brakes replaced about six months ago as best we can figure the mechanic didn't replace the locking bolt remover into the little faux leather case, but he put the case back in the trunk. Four months later she has a flat passenger rear tire and - guess what? No way to take the tire off. It took the mechanic no more than 10 minutes to remove the lock nut using a combination of a "T" tire lug remover and some serious determination. That's proof enough for me to understand that these are simply a mechanism for making a few extra bucks on every sale, and any truly determined thief is going to get them off easily, but likely not trivially so of course it might save you in a quick theft situation. In the long run they are only a deterrent. By the way the 'tool' that a previous writer was looking for is a "friction kit" that most good tire and brake stores have (unfortunately, that also tells me her brake 'doctor' wasn't that 'good'?). Anway, if that sucker ever gets misplaced and you aren't keenly aware of it - you are asking for a nightmare scenario in a true emergency. Summing all this up, I would avoid them because they only slow a determined criminal down, and an expert thief likely not at all.
    2015 Genesis 3.8 Ultimate Sedan, Santiago Silver (FKA Platinum) on Black

2008 Azera 3.8 Ultimate Black on Black (wife)
    In my Genesis garage: 2015 Hyundai Genesis Ultimate 3.8

Mark_888 is online now Registered Member What I drive: 1G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    Cars in my garage

Members don't see this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by ratledge View Post
    Summing all this up, I would avoid them because they only slow a determined criminal down, and an expert thief likely not at all.
    True, but it might deter a juvenile delinquent, which are probably the majority of people who steal wheels.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12