Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

genesis motors forum   genesis motors forums

Direct Links: Genesis Motors Brand | Genesis G70 | Genesis G80 | Genesis G90 | Genesis Sedan | Genesis Coupe | Equus
Genesis Forum: Does your DMV registration say Genesis or Hyundai?
    pmcjr is offline Getting familiar with the group... What I drive: Genesis G80
    I live in Florida
    Cars in my garage

Default Does your DMV registration say Genesis or Hyundai?

Members don't see this ad
    When my dealer printed the temporary registration on my 2017 G80, he put Genesis as the Make. When the FL DMV registration came last week, it said Hyundai. I asked the dealer about this. His explanation was...Hyundai can call the Genesis a separate brand, but DMV recognizes it as a Hyundai because it still has a Hyundai VIN. Is this what others are seeing on the 2017 Genesis models?
    2017 Genesis G80 3.8
    Casablanca White

Cars in my garage

Default Re: Does your DMV registration say Genesis or Hyundai?

Quote Originally Posted by pmcjr View Post
    When my dealer printed the temporary registration on my 2017 G80, he put Genesis as the Make. When the FL DMV registration came last week, it said Hyundai. I asked the dealer about this. His explanation was...Hyundai can call the Genesis a separate brand, but DMV recognizes it as a Hyundai because it still has a Hyundai VIN. Is this what others are seeing on the 2017 Genesis models?
    Mine was the other way around. Dealer entered make as Hyundai but GA tag office entered make as Genesis.

onailrof is offline Getting familiar with the group... What I drive: Genesis G80 V6 AWD
    Cars in my garage

There is another thread about this on the forum.

It seems to vary. I bought mine in Oct and the paperwork the dealer filled out said Hyundai and the title paperwork came back as Hyundai. Some people on the forum have Genesis as the make.

Uchiha madara is offline Registered Member What I drive: 2G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    Cars in my garage

in Saudi Arabia its Genesis G80 on the car registration

jstrickphoto is offline Getting familiar with the group... What I drive: Genesis 5.0 V8 R-Spec Sedan
    I live in MN
    Cars in my garage

During my transaction on New Years Eve, my dealer told me that I was the first one in MN to lease a '17 Genesis anything. I had to go back a few days later and re-sign a couple documents as the State of Minnesota was not recognizing Genesis as a brand (yet).

You can tell that "Genesis" is doing everything it can to separate itself from Hyundai, from an ownership perspective (it's own financing/leasing company, a separately branded ownership experience website, its own app). But at the end of the day, we all know it still rolled out of a Hyundai Vehicle Assembly facility in Korea.
    His: 2017 Caspian Black / light grey G80 3.8 Ultimate
    Previous Genesis:
    2014 Santiago Silver R-Spec
    2011 Midnight Black 4.6 Tech
    Hers: 2014 Circuit Silver Sante Fe AWD Limited w/Ultimate Package

I live in Florida
    Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by jstrickphoto View Post
    During my transaction on New Years Eve, my dealer told me that I was the first one in MN to lease a '17 Genesis anything. I had to go back a few days later and re-sign a couple documents as the State of Minnesota was not recognizing Genesis as a brand (yet).

You can tell that "Genesis" is doing everything it can to separate itself from Hyundai, from an ownership perspective (it's own financing/leasing company, a separately branded ownership experience website, its own app). But at the end of the day, we all know it still rolled out of a Hyundai Vehicle Assembly facility in Korea.
    FL's DMV hasn 't gotten back to me yet, but it has to be the VIN. That must still be a Hyundai VIN when DMV inputs it into the system.

jstrickphoto is offline Getting familiar with the group... What I drive: Genesis 5.0 V8 R-Spec Sedan
    I live in MN
    Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by pmcjr View Post
    FL's DMV hasn 't gotten back to me yet, but it has to be the VIN. That must still be a Hyundai VIN when DMV inputs it into the system.
    It's definitely the VIN. The first few letters are KMH and KMH = Hyundai Korea (passenger & multi-purpose vehicle).

I live in Florida
    Cars in my garage

Members don't see this ad
    Just got this reply back from FL DMV...."CUSTOMER SERVICE RESPONSE: Thank you for your inquiry, The vehicle is listed based on the manufacturer certificate of origin (MCO). In which the MCO is used to create the title for the vehicle, and based on the MCO the make for this vehicle is Hyundai. Hopefully this information will assist you." So, as things stand now, Hyundai can call it a Genesis, but it's still a Hyundai. At least in Florida it is. Oh well.