Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

genesis motors forum   genesis motors forums

Direct Links: Genesis Motors Brand | Genesis G70 | Genesis G80 | Genesis G90 | Genesis Sedan | Genesis Coupe | Equus
Genesis Forum: LED fog lights with add a fuse
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Jay Panwar is online now Registered Member What I drive: 2G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in NYC
    Cars in my garage

Default Re: LED fog lights with add a fuse

Members don't see this ad
    MLaden:

Did the lights come with a relay or did you install one yourself?

Thank you,

JP

Mladen5375 is offline Registered Member What I drive: 2G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Pittsburgh, PA
    Cars in my garage

Hello guys,
    Chrisp, I did not have to remove the front bumper, only the bottom engine cover.

JP, I did not install a relay or switch. I bought the "add a fuse micro 2" and went off my fuse box in the engine bay. I split the power wire to both left and right fog lights and found a good ground. They come on when the car is on and off when car is shut off. Also, they are REALLY bright, I love it!

Cars in my garage

US law states fog loghts must be out with high beams.....
    2015 5.0 Ultimate, Casablanca White with Black Interior Build Date July 2014
    Options:
    Mud guards, trunk mat, rear bumper applique, wheel locks
    Customization:Automatic turn on of heated/cooled seats, Automatic raising/lowering of rear sunshade

Other Vehicles:
    2008 Toyota Sequoia Platinum
    2005 Lincoln LS V8

LarryJM is offline Registered Member What I drive: 2G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in NoVa
    Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by lobsenza View Post
    I don't think that is correct, however, many states have regs/laws that do not allow fog light operation except in certain conditions and wiring them up to be on whenever the car/ignition is on will AFAIK be in violation of many state laws. Not sure of the legal ramifications of this, but one should be aware since it could subject you to certain liabilites in certain scenarios. Also, for states with annual safety inspections you might have problems depending on your state.

I have mine wired up to work either as the stock system would with the stalk switch or totally independent of any stock lighting scenario. I also have an option for their operation at a reduced brightness.

Larry
    2015 "Winged" Genesis Cassablanca Pearl White-M/Grey Ultimate
    Tri-mode custom DRL/FOG Lights, Illum door catch plates, Dual-mode floor lights

Mladen5375 is offline Registered Member What I drive: 2G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Pittsburgh, PA
    Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by lobsenza View Post
    See, I use these as my DRL's not necessarily as my "fog lights". You have seen the newer Sonata's, they have similar style DRL's. But, for my state, you are correct, once the high beams go on, the fog lights must cut out

chrisp is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: 2G Genesis Sedan
    I live in austin
    Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by LarryJM View Post
    I don't think that is correct, however, many states have regs/laws that do not allow fog light operation except in certain conditions and wiring them up to be on whenever the car/ignition is on will AFAIK be in violation of many state laws. Not sure of the legal ramifications of this, but one should be aware since it could subject you to certain liabilites in certain scenarios. Also, for states with annual safety inspections you might have problems depending on your state.

I have mine wired up to work either as the stock system would with the stalk switch or totally independent of any stock lighting scenario. I also have an option for their operation at a reduced brightness.

Larry
    Larry,
    Thank you for your input. Can you please post the step by step procedure (with photo if possible) on how you did it for the wiring part and the switch with a reduced brightness? Thank you for your time.....

LarryJM is offline Registered Member What I drive: 2G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in NoVa
    Cars in my garage

Members don't see this ad
    I don't have any step by step instructions and would hesitate to provide much detailed information because this mod IMO is not for the novice. It involves using a particular installation configuration determined set of power resistors that even needed in my case the addition of a heat sink due to heat and there can be a definite risk here if not done right. Basically I powered my fog lights from the power point wires in the center console and used two switches located in the forward storage area, one for the reduced intensity mode and a second for full intensity neither which depend on the factory circuits. I also have the stalk fog light switch installed so that I can operate them just like OEM system would. Currently I power the fog lights via the power point source via a relay where I simply use the stalk fog light switch to provide the coil power to the power relay in stock mode and then with my two additional switches can provide my two instensity modes. The reduced mode does require a second relay since there are resistors in the output for the reduced intensity. Below is my "switch box" and two additional pics showing the reduced intensity mode (bottom rocker switch) and the full intensity mode (the small "button" switch above the rocker switch). These pics were of my prototype switch, which I redid to clean up its appearance and make it more professional looking.

Larry
    Last edited by LarryJM; 03-13-2017 at 07:43 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12