Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

genesis motors forum   genesis motors forums

Direct Links: Genesis Motors Brand | Genesis G70 | Genesis G80 | Genesis G90 | Genesis Sedan | Genesis Coupe | Equus
Genesis Forum: 3 year tire recall coming to an end - which tire is best?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Cars in my garage

Default Re: 3 year tire recall coming to an end - which tire is best?

Members don't see this ad
    I went out to rotate my tires today having no idea they were recalled for safety. From the outside they looked fine but checkout what I found on the other side. I would have never known this was going on if I hadn't tried to rotate them today. Needles to say if your driving on these tires change them ASAP.

IMG_20170217_153508909.jpg

GrowShack is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    Cars in my garage

My replacement Michelins didn't wear well and seemed to be noisy. I just replaced them with the Continue DWS06. So far, so good. Quiet tires.

ridler101 is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: 2G Genesis Sedan
    I live in San Diego
    Cars in my garage

Hi guys. PLEASE READ ! I dont do this much but i have tried to get this issue fixed with Hyundai... no luck. If you want your car to be the car you bought from the dealer... KEEP READING! I recently decided to finally take my 2015 Genesis to the dealer to get the "free tires" to replace the ones that have "too much road noise".. BAD IDEA! What the dealer recall notice doesnt tell you as that they also lower the performance curve on your Genesis. They are replacing the higher speed rated Hankook tires with the lower speed rating tires. Since they decided not to put the same speed rating of the tire which you purchased the car with, THE DEALERS ARE ALSO LOWERING THE SPEED / PERFORMANCE RATING OF THE VEHICLES!. Dont believe me ? check consumer reports. Or better yet, call this # 1-800-633-5151 . When i called the local dealer, they didnt even know about the governor being changed on these cars. Once they transferred me to the techs in the back, they said yes, it has to be done. My car is now SLOWER than when i first test drove it. Feels like a Camry now... slower. This is my first post. Next is a complaint at consumer reports, later BBB, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi guys. PLEASE READ ! I dont do this much but i have tried to get this issue fixed with Hyundai... no luck. If you want your car to be the car you bought from the dealer... KEEP READING! I recently decided to finally take my 2015 Genesis to the dealer to get the "free tires" to replace the ones that have "too much road noise".. BAD IDEA! What the dealer recall notice doesnt tell you as that they also lower the performance curve on your Genesis. They are replacing the higher speed rated Hankook tires with the lower speed rating tires. Since they decided not to put the same speed rating of the tire which you purchased the car with, THE DEALERS ARE ALSO LOWERING THE SPEED / PERFORMANCE RATING OF THE VEHICLES!. Dont believe me ? check consumer reports. Or better yet, call this # 1-800-633-5151 . When i called the local dealer, they didnt even know about the governor being changed on these cars. Once they transferred me to the techs in the back, they said yes, it has to be done. My car is now SLOWER than when i first test drove it. Feels like a Camry now... slower. This is my first post. Next is a complaint at consumer reports, later BBB, etc.

Cars in my garage

It only effects top speed, noithing else. Unless you are driving over 130 MPH, you will never notice.
    2015 5.0 Ultimate, Casablanca White with Black Interior Build Date July 2014
    Options:
    Mud guards, trunk mat, rear bumper applique, wheel locks
    Customization:Automatic turn on of heated/cooled seats, Automatic raising/lowering of rear sunshade

Other Vehicles:
    2008 Toyota Sequoia Platinum
    2005 Lincoln LS V8

celltech is offline Registered Member What I drive: 2G Genesis 5.0 V8
    I live in Dallas, TX
    Cars in my garage

Can anyone actually confirm that after getting replacement tires Hyundai lowered the top speed? My '15 5.0 came with the cheaper Conti's but I know it will still do 145...

Midnightsun is offline Been here awhile... What I drive: 2G Genesis 5.0 V8 Ultimate
    I live in Montreal, Canada
    Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by celltech View Post
    Can anyone actually confirm that after getting replacement tires Hyundai lowered the top speed? My '15 5.0 came with the cheaper Conti's but I know it will still do 145...
    The 5.0 replacement tires are the Continental Pro Contact TX which are "W" rated @ 168mph so no lowering of the factory regulated 150mph is required. The top speed decrease only affected the V6 models.
    2015 HTRAC V8 Ultimate Montecito Blue/Ivory
    Born July 10th 2014
    1996 Mercedes SL 320 Polar White/Grey, Mint
    2014 Fiat 500L lounge, Loaded, White.
    2017 Honda Ridgeline Touring, White.

Gunny is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: 2G Genesis 5.0 V8 Ultimate
    I live in Atlanta
    Cars in my garage

It seems most of the comments here are performance oriented. My 2015 Genesis 5.0 came with Hankook tires. I felt they were a little noisy but not enough to complain about. I went into my local dealership [Thornton, RD - ATL] for unrelated issues and was told there was a recall [P18] for the tires. At that time they put Continental Pro Contact's on my car and it has been nothing but trouble ever since. One tire was destroyed by a nail. I was surprised to find out it couldn't be repaired but I didn't feel slighted. It happens. Not 6 months later another tire was destroyed but this time I just hit a pothole. Less than 3 months later, another tire destroyed by a pothole! I paid another visit to the dealership. After the dealership said they couldn't help me I sent an email to Hyundai. They replied a day or so later saying that the brand new tires they installed on my car had no warranty from Hyundai and that I should call Continental? Not me... I had a lot of time to think while I changed the tire of my nearly new luxury car on a dark freeway off ramp. These tires are expensive ["they have foam"] and I never actually bought them. They were installed on my car as part of a recall initiated by Hyundai. They cost as much as $400.00 each as of June 2016. Even the dealer agreed that the tires on a sedan north of 50K should be covered in any reasonable circumstance yet she was powerless to help me.

Well. I'll go to Costco soon enough an replace all of these tires. What I'll likely never do again is buy a Hyundai and it's too bad. They built an excellent car for the most part but the service, the dealership experience is just not up to par.
    In my Genesis garage: 2015 Hyundai Genesis Sedan

celltech is offline Registered Member What I drive: 2G Genesis 5.0 V8
    I live in Dallas, TX
    Cars in my garage

Picked up a nice screw in my left rear last night and of course it was too close to the sidewall for them to patch it. I never have liked the Conti's it came with and went ahead and put a set of Michelin Pilot A/S 3+ all around. The tire guys were interesting to talk to. They mentioned the Conti's were harder to balance in all axis due to the foam noise damping ring they slap in the center. I hope I like the new shoes....

Mark_888 is offline Registered Member What I drive: 1G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    It seems most of the comments here are performance oriented. My 2015 Genesis 5.0 came with Hankook tires. I felt they were a little noisy but not enough to complain about. I went into my local dealership [Thornton, RD - ATL] for unrelated issues and was told there was a recall [P18] for the tires. At that time they put Continental Pro Contact's on my car and it has been nothing but trouble ever since. One tire was destroyed by a nail. I was surprised to find out it couldn't be repaired but I didn't feel slighted. It happens. Not 6 months later another tire was destroyed but this time I just hit a pothole. Less than 3 months later, another tire destroyed by a pothole! I paid another visit to the dealership. After the dealership said they couldn't help me I sent an email to Hyundai. They replied a day or so later saying that the brand new tires they installed on my car had no warranty from Hyundai and that I should call Continental? Not me... I had a lot of time to think while I changed the tire of my nearly new luxury car on a dark freeway off ramp. These tires are expensive ["they have foam"] and I never actually bought them. They were installed on my car as part of a recall initiated by Hyundai. They cost as much as $400.00 each as of June 2016. Even the dealer agreed that the tires on a sedan north of 50K should be covered in any reasonable circumstance yet she was powerless to help me.

Well. I'll go to Costco soon enough an replace all of these tires. What I'll likely never do again is buy a Hyundai and it's too bad. They built an excellent car for the most part but the service, the dealership experience is just not up to par.
    I believe that the tires on all vehicles, regardless of make, are warrantied by the tire manufacturer, and not the auto manufacturer. Many forum members had their recall tires replaced at tire shops like Discount Tire or Costco, and not a Hyundai dealer.

But even so, it sounds like all your tire problems were the result of road hazards. When you purchase at Costco, you get a road hazard warranty included in the price, that at least gives you a pro-rated refund on the unused portion of the tread. I personally would never let a dealer change, or even rotate, my tires, since tire shops are experts at that sort of thing.

Gunny is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: 2G Genesis 5.0 V8 Ultimate
    I live in Atlanta
    Cars in my garage

Members don't see this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_888 View Post
    I believe that the tires on all vehicles, regardless of make, are warrantied by the tire manufacturer, and not the auto manufacturer. Many forum members had their recall tires replaced at tire shops like Discount Tire or Costco, and not a Hyundai dealer.

But even so, it sounds like all your tire problems were the result of road hazards. When you purchase at Costco, you get a road hazard warranty included in the price, that at least gives you a pro-rated refund on the unused portion of the tread. I personally would never let a dealer change, or even rotate, my tires, since tire shops are experts at that sort of thing.
    I hear you. That's what Hyundai corporate is saying but I still believe a $400.00 tire should survive a pothole or two and if not it should be covered by Hyundai as they are the ones who put the tire on my vehicle. Let them deal with the tire manufacturer. I didn't have a choice as to what brand they used.

Going forward I will definitely take your advice but this is just one of many service headaches I've experienced since buying this car. As I said before, the car itself is amazing. Too bad the dealership and support are the exact opposite.
    In my Genesis garage: 2015 Hyundai Genesis Sedan

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast