Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

genesis motors forum   genesis motors forums

Direct Links: Genesis Motors Brand | Genesis G70 | Genesis G80 | Genesis G90 | Genesis Sedan | Genesis Coupe | Equus
Genesis Forum: Dead batteries
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dead batteries

weasel is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: Genesis 5.0 V8 R-Spec Sedan
    I live in Las Vegas
    Cars in my garage

Default Dead batteries

Members don't see this ad
    Has anyone had consistent battery problems? My G80 is about 4 months old and has already experienced 2 dead batteries. Road side assistance gave me a jump start on both occasions. The first time, the dealer's rep said it was "apparently a bad battery" and it was replaced. The second time, they completed "exhaustive circuit checks" to rule out a short. The battery was recharged to normal readings. The tech said he found the headlight switch was in the "ON" position and that was the cause of the problem. The service rep said the car should always be locked (even in my garage) so all the onboard computers would shut down and not cause a drain on the battery. To the best of my recollection, the headlights always shut off automatically after 30 seconds. What keeps the computers going?

chris41 is offline Registered Member What I drive: 2G Genesis 3.8 V6 Ultimate
    I live in Cleveland
    Cars in my garage

Default Re: Dead batteries

Where do they come up with such stupid stories??? Maybe they should switch roles with the salesman because they tell you ridiculously dumb stories all the time with a straight face.

MikeyTG is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis G80 V6
    I live in Joisey
    Cars in my garage

I never lock mine in the garage and I've not had a problem with the battery. I have also left the headlights "on" on many occasions without a problem - because they turn off by themselves after a while.

Methinks that the mechanic is one who can only fix things that show as a code on the ODB port, maybe try another dealer...

One thing I saw in a non-hyundai specific article was that on some cars leaving the key fob in the car will cause additional battery drain, I have no experience with this.

Kurmudjon is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: Genesis G80
    Cars in my garage

Have had my G 80 for about 5 months with no battery problems. Used to have a Corvette with a number of battery problems due to all the computers etc.

kn5owa is offline Supporting Member What I drive: 2G Genesis 5.0 V8
    Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by weasel View Post
    Has anyone had consistent battery problems? My G80 is about 4 months old and has already experienced 2 dead batteries. Road side assistance gave me a jump start on both occasions. The first time, the dealer's rep said it was "apparently a bad battery" and it was replaced. The second time, they completed "exhaustive circuit checks" to rule out a short. The battery was recharged to normal readings. The tech said he found the headlight switch was in the "ON" position and that was the cause of the problem. The service rep said the car should always be locked (even in my garage) so all the onboard computers would shut down and not cause a drain on the battery. To the best of my recollection, the headlights always shut off automatically after 30 seconds. What keeps the computers going?
    Your "mechanic" lies like a politician.

One prevalent theory about battery depletion is that leaving the remote fob in the vicinity of the vehicle runs the battery down. I.E., the two items are constantly undergoing a "handshaking" routine - running the battery down.
    Drives '06 Sonata LX V6
    2015 Genesis 5.0 V8
    Montecito Blue

dougmcp is online now Been here awhile... What I drive: 1G Genesis Sedan
    I live in Plumas Lake, CALIFORNIA
    Cars in my garage

This service dept is blowing you off with a variety of excuses while actually saying we don't really know what is happening. There has to be some parasitic battery drain that should/could be found with a meter and a little diagnostic work. Unfortunately if it's not a consistent drain and only pops up occasionally it will be very difficult to find like a tire that goes flat and when it's refilled, never goes flat again, where was the hole?
    Whenever I have intermittent problems I hope it either goes away or becomes worse so I can find it.
    Last edited by dougmcp; 01-24-2017 at 12:17 PM.
    In my Genesis garage: 2013 Hyundai Genesis Sedan

Laxvic is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: NJ
    I live in Freehold
    Cars in my garage

Had this issue before had car towed into dealership. Said they replaced battery not sure if they did. I noticed that I was having issues closing the driver side door. The reason this happened was due to our window and door seals. The G80 is one of the best when it comes to cabin noise or lack there of. Perform a simple test and you will see what I'm talking about. Do a simple test opening and closing your doors, on level ground with windows closed shut the door in a normal fashion. You will see that the door closes most of the time however not every time. Now lower your windows and the door will close every time. The pressure created when windows are closed may leave your door slightly ajar. Be aware of this happening because this may lead to battery drain over a course of a night.

Seejay is offline Registered Member What I drive: 2G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Houston
    Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by Laxvic View Post
    Had this issue before had car towed into dealership. Said they replaced battery not sure if they did. I noticed that I was having issues closing the driver side door. The reason this happened was due to our window and door seals. The G80 is one of the best when it comes to cabin noise or lack there of. Perform a simple test and you will see what I'm talking about. Do a simple test opening and closing your doors, on level ground with windows closed shut the door in a normal fashion. You will see that the door closes most of the time however not every time. Now lower your windows and the door will close every time. The pressure created when windows are closed may leave your door slightly ajar. Be aware of this happening because this may lead to battery drain over a course of a night.
    If that is the case, then it makes no sense, or other electronics that draw considerable power are in play here. Incandescent cabin lights left on in a car with a conventional fllooded cell battery can go for days and still start the car. The lighting in our cars are LED and the AGM battery is a deeper cycle battery than flooded cell.

It appears that the G80 (see the post about the passenger seat belt chime) is just a re-badged 2016 Genesis with no fixes whatsoever. I am profoundly disappointed, but not surprised.

Mark_888 is online now Registered Member What I drive: 1G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by Seejay View Post
    It appears that the G80 (see the post about the passenger seat belt chime) is just a re-badged 2016 Genesis with no fixes whatsoever. I am profoundly disappointed, but not surprised.
    In model year 2018 there will be a minor refresh of the G80, after a brand new design in 2015. Rumors are that 2018 may be out in early summer of 2017. The 2018 G80 Sport will also be released then.

rbres is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: Genesis G80
    I live in ca
    Cars in my garage

Members don't see this ad
    Yes I've noticed that many times my front driver side door does not fully close unless I use quite a bit of force! Was wondering about that so glad it's not just me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast