Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

genesis motors forum   genesis motors forums

Direct Links: Genesis Motors Brand | Genesis G70 | Genesis G80 | Genesis G90 | Genesis Sedan | Genesis Coupe | Equus
Genesis Forum: '17 G80 USB Port
    pmcjr is offline Getting familiar with the group... What I drive: Genesis G80
    I live in Florida
    Cars in my garage

Question '17 G80 USB Port

Members don't see this ad
    Can you charge an iPhone with the USB port or is it only for an iPod to play music?
    Thank you.
    2017 Genesis G80 3.8
    Casablanca White

dougmcp is offline Been here awhile... What I drive: 1G Genesis Sedan
    I live in Plumas Lake, CALIFORNIA
    Cars in my garage

Default Re: '17 G80 USB Port

You probably can, I have an older model (2013), the manual says play music only on USB but later it says in the Apple cable part, the USB portion is for charging the iPod.
    In my Genesis garage: 2013 Hyundai Genesis Sedan

AustinTX is offline Registered Member What I drive: 2015 Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan RWD (2G)
    I live in Austin, TX
    Cars in my garage

I assume the UBS port is unchanged between model years, and on the 2015 model it will charge a phone, albeit very slowly. If you use the screen on your phone while plugged into the USB port, it may use more power than the USB port provides in charge (it will drain the battery less quickly while connected to the USB port).

A USB 1.0 and 2.0 port will provide 500 mA (milli-amperes) of current, a USB 3.0 port provides 900 mA.

A dedicated charger will often provide 2.4 A, or about 5 times the amperage of a standard USB port. The amperage determines the rate of the charge - more amps, faster charge (as long as the phone supports higher amp charging).

In my car I added a dedicated two-port USB charger through the cigarette lighter adapter that provides the full 2.4A of a dedicated USB charger for each port, or 4.8A total. This way you get full charging capacity for two phones. The model is use is an "Aukey CC-S1 4.8A Dual Port USB Car Charger", I've been very happy with that, it's small (almost disappears in the cigarette lighter outlet and works very well).
    2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 RWD Ultimate - Ibiza Blue/Ivory

http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/413026.png
    In my Genesis garage: 2015 Hyundai Genesis

dougmcp is offline Been here awhile... What I drive: 1G Genesis Sedan
    I live in Plumas Lake, CALIFORNIA
    Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by AustinTX View Post
    In my car I added a dedicated two-port USB charger through the cigarette lighter adapter that provides the full 2.4A of a dedicated USB charger for each port, or 4.8A total. This way you get full charging capacity for two phones. The model is use is an "Aukey CC-S1 4.8A Dual Port USB Car Charger", I've been very happy with that, it's small (almost disappears in the cigarette lighter outlet and works very well).
    I also use a dual USB cigarette lighter adapter, generic, not sure of the charge rate but it works great as well.
    In my Genesis garage: 2013 Hyundai Genesis Sedan

I live in Florida
    Cars in my garage

I assume the UBS port is unchanged between model years, and on the 2015 model it will charge a phone, albeit very slowly. If you use the screen on your phone while plugged into the USB port, it may use more power than the USB port provides in charge (it will drain the battery less quickly while connected to the USB port).

A USB 1.0 and 2.0 port will provide 500 mA (milli-amperes) of current, a USB 3.0 port provides 900 mA.

A dedicated charger will often provide 2.4 A, or about 5 times the amperage of a standard USB port. The amperage determines the rate of the charge - more amps, faster charge (as long as the phone supports higher amp charging).

Austin TX, thank you for this info. I have a similar charger that I will use instead of the car's USB port. My dealer said you could use the car's USB port, but I was and still am suspect. It's just as easy to plug in the charger as it would be to use the car's USB port.

MrG_NY is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: Genesis G80
    I live in Lower Hudson Valley
    Cars in my garage

The USB port actually charges my iPhone pretty quick even while playing Spotify.

waz is offline Registered Member What I drive: 2G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Western North Cackalacky
    Cars in my garage

Yes you can.
    Currently drive/ride: 2015 Genesis 3.8 Ultimate (Pamplona Red/Gray), 2010 Genesis Coupe 3.8 GT (Gray/Saddle), 1959 Ford F100, 2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250, 1978 Kawasaki KZ 650

I live in Florida
    Cars in my garage

Members don't see this ad

Austin Tx...I just ordered your Aukey charger from Amazon. I'm anxious to see how it works. I was also considering this model Mediabridge USB Car Charger - 2 Port - 24 Watt / 4.8 Amp - Smart Charge Technology for iPhone, iPad, Samsung, HTC, Motorola & More - (Part# UCC2-24B ) also on Amazon. Very similar to the Aukey.