Registered members do not see this advertisement! Remove it by signing up for free.
genesis motors forum   genesis motors forums

Direct Links: Genesis Motors Brand | Genesis G70 | Genesis G80 | Genesis G90 | Genesis Sedan | Genesis Coupe | Equus
Genesis Forum: Tire Issue - Opinions - Defect or Road Damage?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Cars in my garage

Default Tire Issue - Opinions - Defect or Road Damage?

Members don't see this ad
    What are your thoughts on the pictures below....road damage or tire defect? Looks like a broken cable, just noticed it today. Leaning toward tire defect....I travel I684 daily which is a land mine field on many miles of the road.

IMG_0953.jpg

IMG_0952.jpg

dougmcp is online now Been here awhile... What I drive: 1G Genesis Sedan
    I live in Plumas Lake, CALIFORNIA
    Cars in my garage

Default Re: Tire Issue - Opinions - Defect or Road Damage?

Road hazard not defect; that bubble is tread separation, classic curb or pothole damage from hitting something.
    In my Genesis garage: 2013 Hyundai Genesis Sedan

leggy is offline Getting familiar with the group... What I drive: Genesis/Equus In His/Her Dreams (Doesn't own one yet)
    I live in SoCal
    Cars in my garage

The tire is still inflated so that's very likely a defected tire. Did you go to the dealership yet? Before you go to the dealership, stop by any tire shop and have them evaluate what could cause that, get that info and head to the dealership

5 Timer is offline Registered Member What I drive: 2G Genesis Sedan
    I live in reality
    Cars in my garage

I just showed your photos to my buddy who has a tire shop and he called that an impact break where it forms that bubble, usually from striking a pothole.
    Not a tire defect.

Tire Impact Damage

leggy is offline Getting familiar with the group... What I drive: Genesis/Equus In His/Her Dreams (Doesn't own one yet)
    I live in SoCal
    Cars in my garage

Could be but I have seen many tires, including mine years ago have happened without hitting any road hazard

Cars in my garage

Thanks for the info. TireRack describes it as most likely a road hazard injury to the tire too.

I think TireRack and the tire shop buddy above would all be a little biased of course. I am sure the manufacturers are all up in the 99% quality range at this point, which leaves I684 as the guilty culprit most likely. That interstate will rattle your jaw, especially after the plow trucks have had a couple days with it. It is a joke with the amount of taxes paid in this area. I have no problems with taxes, but I do expect something for them. Is a smooth interstate so much to expect?

Went to Sears to fix it today. They had no tires. Sounds like it should be in the low $200s for a replacement. Will take it to the dealership tomorrow and see what happens.

Mark_888 is online now Registered Member What I drive: 1G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    Cars in my garage

Radial tires have relatively soft sidewalls. That is part of their design, so the sidewalls can flex as a car rounds a curve, etc. But they are susceptible to damage, sometimes even from relatively minor road hazards.

Most people on this forum are probably too young to have been around when bias ply tires were the norm. They had strong and stiff sidewalls, but were terrible at handling and gas mileage was typically 1 or 2 MPG worse than radial tires.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Riley2323 View Post
    Is a smooth interstate so much to expect?
    In NY? Probably is too much to expect, even though New Yorkers pay about $0.42 per gallon in state gasoline taxes, third highest in the country. We all pay about $0.18 per gallon in federal gasoline taxes. Above numbers were as of January 1, 2016.

According to https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/interstate/faq.cfm the States own and operate the Interstate highways.

Cars in my garage

$275 all in at the dealership.

I live in SoCal
    Cars in my garage

Although I doubt but could they figure out what went wrong with the tire?

Cars in my garage

Members don't see this ad
    Do you know the scene in the Big Lebowski when he recovers his car at the impound lot after it had been stolen? He asks the policemen, after discovering the money was gone but his tape deck was still there, do you have any promising leads in the theft of his car?

From the moment I told them on the phone about the bubble they had me funneled into the non-warranty category.

So I felt like I would have gotten a response similar to the above clip if I would have asked if they determined whether it was a defect or road hazard damage. The dealership was a complete mess. It was a brand new building that was still being completed (construction workers and Hyundai workers together) and the half the work force was still at the old address. It would have been wasted breath.

There was another woman getting the exact same issue taken care of with her car, make unknown, assume it was a Hyundai, but right then I was wishing they would send both the tires to the crime lab in Quantico.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast