Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

genesis motors forum   genesis motors forums

Direct Links: Genesis Motors Brand | Genesis G70 | Genesis G80 | Genesis G90 | Genesis Sedan | Genesis Coupe | Equus
Genesis Forum: Warranty
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warranty

Goaterguy is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: No Genesis Yet!
    Cars in my garage

Default Warranty

Members don't see this ad
    Is the Genesis warranty fully transferable to the next owner?

If someone buys a 2 year old G90 will he/she retain the rest of the 10/100k warranty?

Mark_888 is online now Registered Member What I drive: 1G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    Cars in my garage

Default Re: Warranty

Read the fine print here:
    https://www.hyundaiusa.com/assurance...-warranty.aspx

The basic 5 year - 60K mile warranty is fully transferable, but the 10 year -100K mile powertrain warranty is for original owner only, unless the used car is sold by a Hyundai dealer as a CPO car. The dealer has to pay HMA a fee to make a car CPO, in part to offset the transferability of the powertrain warranty.

Not that on the 5 year - 60K mile warranty, that there are exceptions such as paint, battery, Radio and audio systems, etc (depending on model year) that you should read about at the above link.

Hyundai also offers extended warranties that can replicate or surpass the CPO warranty on the entire car. These are sold by any dealer (not just where you purchased the car new or used) and are honored by any USA Hyundai dealer.

Genesis Motors may have a slightly different warranty, so you should try and find out the details on that.

Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_888 View Post

Genesis Motors may have a slightly different warranty, so you should try and find out the details on that.
    Mark, I already knew about the Hyundai warranty transfer conditions but wanted to know about Genesis specifically, that's why I posted here. I tried looking at the Genesis website but it's not clear.

Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by Goaterguy View Post
    Mark, I already knew about the Hyundai warranty transfer conditions but wanted to know about Genesis specifically, that's why I posted here. I tried looking at the Genesis website but it's not clear.
    You are correct. The Genesis Motors website is a disgrace. But I am pretty sure that the powertrain warranty is not transferable (like the rest of Hyundai). Note that the 10 year - 100K mile powertrain warranty is only offered in the USA, and not in other countries (for Hyundai or Genesis Motors).

I guess you could go to a dealer, open the glove box, and see if you can find the written warranty terms.

leggy is offline Been here awhile... What I drive: Genesis/Equus In His/Her Dreams (Doesn't own one yet)
    I live in SoCal
    Cars in my garage

Taken from this handbook
    Cover.jpg

Here you go. Hope it answers your question
    Wp1.jpg

Cars in my garage

Thanks Leggy. It looks like Genesis warranty transfer conditions are the same as Hyundai's. On a vehicle as technologically advanced as the G90, the 10/100k warranty seems like a great selling point that could help the resale value. We all know how the large luxury vehicle resale values plummets (maybe except for the LS) so the G90 will need all the help it could get. It looks like a CPO would be the best choice for the ones looking to buy used.

Cars in my garage

Thanks Leggy. It looks like Genesis warranty transfer conditions are the same as Hyundai's. On a vehicle as technologically advanced as the G90, the 10/100k warranty seems like a great selling point that could help the resale value. We all know how the large luxury vehicle resale values plummets (maybe except for the LS) so the G90 will need all the help it could get. It looks like a CPO would be the best choice for the ones looking to buy used.
    There are also extended warranties (which are transferable) that cover everything for 10 years - 100K miles, not just the powertrain.

Cars in my garage

There are also extended warranties (which are transferable) that cover everything for 10 years - 100K miles, not just the powertrain.
    Do you mean that Genesis as a manufacturer offers an extended warranty or you are talking about general third party warranty coverage? If that's the case, that is commonly known, I can get a third party warranty for mostly any vehicle. Third party extended warranty may not be as reliable or offer the same coverage as a manufacturers maintenance plan.

Having the option of buying a third party warranty coverage doesn't really affect the resale value of a vehicle, having a transferable warranty usually does.

Cars in my garage

Do you mean that Genesis as a manufacturer offers an extended warranty or you are talking about general third party warranty coverage? If that's the case, that is commonly known, I can get a third party warranty for mostly any vehicle. Third party extended warranty may not be as reliable or offer the same coverage as a manufacturers maintenance plan.

Having the option of buying a third party warranty coverage doesn't really affect the resale value of a vehicle, having a transferable warranty usually does.
    Hyundai Motor America offers an extended warranty that is honored by every Hyundai USA dealer, and is recorded in all Hyundai dealer computers. There are various flavors of the extended warranty (what is covered and number of years/mileage), but most people seem to purchase the HPP Platinum warranty with coverage up to 10 years - 100K miles. It is fully transferable. It is not limited to the powertrain, but it "may or may not" cover all the radar type electronics.

The HPP extended warranty can be purchased at any Hyundai USA dealer (not just where you purchased the car) and can be purchased any time up until the regular 5 year - 60K warranty runs out. However, the price gets higher once the car is more than one year old. Dealers (usually the "Finance Guy") may "try" to sell these warranties at huge profits, but one can shop around. There are threads on this forum which discuss specific dealers who sell them at very reasonable prices on the phone. Some dealers also sell third-party warranties, so be careful to understand which warranty you are buying.

I have been discussing Hyundai extended warranties, and I assume that they are also available for Genesis Motors vehicles. The head of Genesis Motors USA reports to the CEO of HMA (Hyundai Motor America).
    Last edited by Mark_888; 03-09-2017 at 03:10 PM.

Cars in my garage

Members don't see this ad
    Hyundai Motor America offers an extended warranty that is honored by every Hyundai USA dealer, and is recorded in all Hyundai dealer computers. There are various flavors of the extended warranty (what is covered and number of years/mileage), but most people seem to purchase the HPP Platinum warranty with coverage up to 10 years - 100K miles. It is fully transferable. It is not limited to the powertrain, but it "may or may not" cover all the radar type electronics.

The HPP extended warranty can be purchased at any Hyundai USA dealer (not just where you purchased the car) and can be purchased any time up until the regular 5 year - 60K warranty runs out. However, the price gets higher once the car is more than one year old. Dealers (usually the "Finance Guy") may "try" to sell these warranties at huge profits, but one can shop around. There are threads on this forum which discuss specific dealers who sell them at very reasonable prices on the phone. Some dealers also sell third-party warranties, so be careful to understand which warranty you are buying.

I have been discussing Hyundai extended warranties, and I assume that they are also available for Genesis Motors vehicles. The head of Genesis Motors USA reports to the CEO of HMA (Hyundai Motor America).
    This is great news if Genesis offers it which I'm sure they will.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast