Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

genesis motors forum   genesis motors forums

Direct Links: Genesis Motors Brand | Genesis G70 | Genesis G80 | Genesis G90 | Genesis Sedan | Genesis Coupe | Equus
Genesis Forum: Found a Montecito Genesis, But... (Scratches)
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    AustinTX is offline Registered Member What I drive: 2015 Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan RWD (2G)
    I live in Austin, TX
    Cars in my garage

Default Re: Found a Montecito Genesis, But... (Scratches)

Members don't see this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost View Post
    The only way to have it painted with the exact same blue since the hood would need to be painted would be to take it to a Hyundai dealership to get done I believe. They're not going to take it to another car dealer to get that done. Hyundai said it would be about $500 for fixing.
    Every car comes with a color code (it's on a sticker in the car somewhere, maybe with the spare wheel, but it's in the car 100%) that allows repair shops to match the color of any car exactly. Repainting a car is not rocket science, (it's also not cheap), but it's done 1,000's of times a week all over the world, and a good shop makes it so that you can't see the difference between the old and the new paint.

I agree with another poster here. If the previous owner took such poor care of the car, I would pass up on it. I would look for a CPO car just to minimize risk on your investment in the new ride. Close to $30,000 is a major expense, at least have the car inspected by an independent mechanic before purchasing it so you have some reassurance that it's mechanically and structurally in good order.
    2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 RWD Ultimate - Ibiza Blue/Ivory

http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/413026.png
    In my Genesis garage: 2015 Hyundai Genesis

Mark_888 is online now Registered Member What I drive: 1G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by AustinTX View Post
    I agree with another poster here. If the previous owner took such poor care of the car, I would pass up on it. I would look for a CPO car just to minimize risk on your investment in the new ride. Close to $30,000 is a major expense, at least have the car inspected by an independent mechanic before purchasing it so you have some reassurance that it's mechanically and structurally in good order.
    Just having scratches on the hood does not mean the "previous owner took such poor of the car."

A CPO Hyundai means absolutely nothing, other than restoring the 10 year - 100K mile powertrain warranty that is normally available only to original owner. One can purchase an extended warranty directly from Hyundai that will surpass the CPO warranty in terms of coverage, for about the same extra price the dealer will charge for a CPO.

Many posters on this forum have bought a CPO Hyundai, and discovered obvious problems with the car shortly thereafter. It is obvious that very little, if any, real inspections are done for a CPO, and Hyundai dealers pretty much take the attitude that if there is a problem with the car, then owner will bring it in for a warranty repair. It might be good to have the car inspected to make sure that there is not damage caused by road hazards, prior accident, etc, that would not be covered under warranty (and also make sure a Carfax is obtained). But I would do that for CPO also.

Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by AustinTX View Post
    Every car comes with a color code (it's on a sticker in the car somewhere, maybe with the spare wheel, but it's in the car 100%) that allows repair shops to match the color of any car exactly. Repainting a car is not rocket science, (it's also not cheap), but it's done 1,000's of times a week all over the world, and a good shop makes it so that you can't see the difference between the old and the new paint.
    I completely agree, but it should be a moot point, since the buyer should not even consider the car until after the dealer repairs it first. It is a matter of cost ($500 sounds low to me), and also to make sure it is done right.

But I suspect the OP is raising these objections because he really doesn't want a car that has been repainted, even if it is unlikely that anyone could tell. That's a psychological issue that he needs to overcome if he wants to buy the car.

ghost is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: No Genesis Yet!
    Cars in my garage

My concern was really would the paint job on the hood for the scratches match and look as good as the original. I would be fine with the car if so. From talking to the body shop that has worked on my car before they told me it wouldn't match compared to what the Hyundai dealership service dept told me which was where my assumption came. The dealer won't fix it, but said they'd do $30k OTD.

Cars in my garage

My concern was really would the paint job on the hood for the scratches match and look as good as the original. I would be fine with the car if so. From talking to the body shop that has worked on my car before they told me it wouldn't match compared to what the Hyundai dealership service dept told me which was where my assumption came. The dealer won't fix it, but said they'd do $30k OTD.
    If the dealer will not fix it before the sale, then tell him you are walking away. The pic is too much of a close up for me to tell how many body panels, etc need to be painted, but it probably will be expensive.

dougmcp is offline Been here awhile... What I drive: 1G Genesis Sedan
    I live in Plumas Lake, CALIFORNIA
    Cars in my garage

Sounds lke the dealer doesn't want to get involved with paint issues and wants the car off their lot. Any body/paint shop worth their salt can either spot repair or respray the whole hood area, color match and guarantee it for life, Get a quote on repair. Personally I'd be more concerned with the mechanicals of the car than the paint work. I'd have either the Hyundai dealer or an independent shop assess the car for condition before I plunked down the cash. Lastly get an AutoCheck or Carfax on this vehicle before you make any decisions.
    In my Genesis garage: 2013 Hyundai Genesis Sedan

XPO439 is offline Registered Member What I drive: 2G Genesis 5.0 V8
    I live in California
    Cars in my garage

You can always get the car wrapped if you don't want to repaint it. IMHO, if I knew that you repainted the car, I would never buy it.

ghost is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: No Genesis Yet!
    Cars in my garage

Dealer came back and indicated they'd paint it after all. The Carfax was clean and taken in for reg. maintenance. Three years warranty left.

tuckerdog1 is offline Been here awhile... What I drive: 2015 2G 5.0
    I live in TEXAS
    Cars in my garage

Dealer came back and indicated they'd paint it after all. The Carfax was clean and taken in for reg. maintenance. Three years warranty left.

Well there ya go Hope they make it look like it never happened. If you're satisfied & are really leaning toward buying, take it for a good long test drive. A local dealer told me they'd let me have a car for 24 hours. They never found the right car though. The car we did buy, we took for about 3 hours. Seems one of the most common complaints is a sunroof rattle. Want to be sure this car doesn't have that issue. Hope it's still $30 OTD with the new paint.

Tuckerdog1
    In my Genesis garage: 2015 Hyundai Genesis Sedan

jsmit86 is offline Registered Member What I drive: 2G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Elgin, IL
    Cars in my garage

Members don't see this ad
    If it's done properly, it will match. Sometimes that involves blending into adjacent panels, but it's done routinely.
    If your body shop can't match, you may want to get another body shop.
    I will agree that finding a capable shop is not always easy.
    2015 Genesis Signature 3.8 AWD
    Montecito Blue/Beige Interior

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast