Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

genesis motors forum   genesis motors forums

Direct Links: Genesis Motors Brand | Genesis G70 | Genesis G80 | Genesis G90 | Genesis Sedan | Genesis Coupe | Equus
Genesis Forum: Found a Montecito Genesis, But... (Scratches)
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mark_888 is online now Registered Member What I drive: 1G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    Cars in my garage

Default Re: Found a Montecito Genesis, But... (Scratches)

Members don't see this ad
    I would think any dealer would make it a CPO if you insisted, for the right price. Dealers have to pay HMA about $1,000 or so to make a car a CPO, since HMA is extending the warranty on the powertrain. The dealer is also supposed to do some inspections on the car. Obviously, the original manufacturer warranty must not have expired yet.

DubbuD is offline Been here awhile... What I drive: 2G Genesis Sedan
    I live in St. John's, Newfoundland - Canada
    Cars in my garage

The scratches look like deep clearcoat marks from the picture. Hard to tell if they went down to the paint. I wouldn't buy it with those marks, but if they wanted to fix them, I'd make an offer.
    2015 Genesis 3.8 H-Trac AWD
    Tech Package
    Parisian Grey
    In my Genesis garage: 2015 Hyundai Genesis Sedan

ghost is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: No Genesis Yet!
    Cars in my garage

The car is a trade in at another car dealership that is not a Hyundai one unfortunately.

Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by ghost View Post
    The car is a trade in at another car dealership that is not a Hyundai one unfortunately.
    What difference does that make? You can still ask them to repair the paint.

If you want an extended warranty, you can still purchase one from any Hyundai dealer that will exceed the CPO warranty. There are several threads on this forum about that subject, where specific dealers are named where you buy the warranty over the phone at a very good price. So long as it is a HPP Platinum Warranty, it will be honored at any Hyundai dealership and the warranty info will be in the Hyundai computers that all dealers use to determine warranty status of a particular VIN.

glennk is offline Supporting Member What I drive: 2G Genesis Sedan
    I live in Dallas, TX
    Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_888 View Post

If you want an extended warranty, you can still purchase one from any Hyundai dealer that will exceed the CPO warranty. There are several threads on this forum about that subject, where specific dealers are named where you buy the warranty over the phone at a very good price. So long as it is a HPP Platinum Warranty, it will be honored at any Hyundai dealership and the warranty info will be in the Hyundai computers that all dealers use to determine warranty status of a particular VIN.
    Not all parts are covered under the HPP warranty. As for other warranty companies, you must have service documentation.
    In my Genesis garage: 2015 Hyundai Genesis Sedan

Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by glennk View Post
    Not all parts are covered under the HPP warranty. As for other warranty companies, you must have service documentation.
    The only thing covered by the CPO warranty is the powertrain (engine and transmission). Nothing else is covered beyond the regular 5 year - 60K mile warranty.

I don't understand why you said "The car is a trade in at another car dealership that is not a Hyundai one unfortunately." What difference does it make?

ghost is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: No Genesis Yet!
    Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_888 View Post

You said that any dealer would make the car a CPO. It's not from a Hyundai dealership so it can't be made a CPO.

The only way to have it painted with the exact same blue since the hood would need to be painted would be to take it to a Hyundai dealership to get done I believe. They're not going to take it to another car dealer to get that done. Hyundai said it would be about $500 for fixing.

Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by ghost View Post
    You said that any dealer would make the car a CPO. It's not from a Hyundai dealership so it can't be made a CPO.

The only way to have it painted with the exact same blue since the hood would need to be painted would be to take it to a Hyundai dealership to get done I believe. They're not going to take it to another car dealer to get that done. Hyundai said it would be about $500 for fixing.
    CPO is really just a designation that reinstates the powertrain warranty on a used car to 10 years - 100K miles that is normally for original owners only. The dealer has to pay Hyundai Motor America about $1,000 to make a car a CPO, since the warranty is really offered by HMA. If that happens, the dealer is going to want you to pay at least $1,000 more for the car (probably closer to $1,500 more).

If you buy the car at a non-Hyundai dealer, you could instead pay about $1,500 for an HMA extended warranty (purchased from any Hyundai dealer), that not only extends the powertrain warranty to 10 years - 100K miles, but also provides a warranty on the rest of the car to 10 years - 100K miles (although certain exclusions may apply). Normally, the warranty on non-powertrain components is 5 years - 60 K miles. To get the $1500 price on an extended warranty you would have to shop around, and this forum has a list of dealers who tend to offer the best prices on these Hyundai extended warranties (they can be purchased on the phone). These are known as the HPP Platinum Extended Warranty.

Regarding the paint, it is extremely unlikely that a Hyundai dealer body shop gets their paint from Korea. There are millions of cars repaired every year, and a good body shop can color match any color. But even if the paint job turns out to be not perfect, it is not likely to be any better at a Hyundai dealer body shop. Most dealers don't even have dedicated body shops anymore, and tend to share body shops among several dealers (with different brands) owned by the same company. I think you have a misunderstanding of how body shops work these days (at the least the top quality ones).

The suggestion was made that you tell them to fix the paint first, and then you will make an offer if the paint job is satisfactory. That does not obligate you to buy the car if the color match is not to your standards. Plus, it does not obligate you to offer any specific price. You could use the repair as a negotiating tool to get the price down.

aircanuck is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: 2G Genesis Sedan
    I live in Niagara, Ontario
    Cars in my garage

My concern is that anyone that would drive around with these scratches on such a nice car would be more than comfortable with neglecting it in other areas as well.
    My personal reaction is to pass her up.

jsmit86 is offline Registered Member What I drive: 2G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Elgin, IL
    Cars in my garage

Members don't see this ad
    Any reputable body shop can get the paint.
    If the body shop is good, you should not have issues. I have had paint done several times over the years. I only had one "butcher" shop vs. a body shop.
    I currently have a local shop that is priced a bit higher than some others, but does excellent work. In my experience, the few times I've had a hood re-shot, they have held up better than the original factory paint. (Factory paint was prone to stone chips, re-paint was not)
    2015 Genesis Signature 3.8 AWD
    Montecito Blue/Beige Interior

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast