Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

genesis motors forum   genesis motors forums

Direct Links: Genesis Motors Brand | Genesis G70 | Genesis G80 | Genesis G90 | Genesis Sedan | Genesis Coupe | Equus
Genesis Forum: Genesis G80 Sport vs german
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1
    Lawrence Wuu is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: No Genesis Yet!
    I live in canada
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    1
    Cars in my garage
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Genesis G80 Sport vs german

    Members don't see this ad
    Currently in the market for a new sporty sedan. I'm considering between the new G80 Sport and the German equivalents. Does anyone have any ownership experiences they would like to share? Any problems with the current G80s?

    Lawrence


  2. #2
    mrich1353 is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: Genesis G80
    I live in York, PA
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    7
    Cars in my garage
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Genesis G80 Sport vs german

    I came from four BMW's (one 3 series, three 5 Series) and have had my G80 about 6 weeks. The G80 Sport will take things even closer.
    With my G80 (no Sport in USA yet) the ride is not as tuned as I was accustomed to, but not far from the more typically equipped BMW. I had built mine with options dynamic handling and active roll stabilization which you rarely find in dealer inventory. The difficultly (packaged options) and time line getting a car built pushed me to try something different.
    As you compare, the challenge will be comparing apples to apples with the varied equipment levels of the german brands. The price range on a 5 Series BMW can quickly change $15K or more making the Genesis approach quite appealing.

  3. #3
    AustinTX is offline Registered Member What I drive: 2015 Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan RWD (2G)
    I live in Austin, TX
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Age
    47
    Posts
    279
    Cars in my garage
    1
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: Genesis G80 Sport vs german

    Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence Wuu View Post
    Currently in the market for a new sporty sedan. I'm considering between the new G80 Sport and the German equivalents. Does anyone have any ownership experiences they would like to share? Any problems with the current G80s?
    I have owned several German luxury cars, including Audi A6's and A8's.

    I know no one here wants to hear this (after all this is a Genesis owners Website), so I'm preparing for lots opposition here. This is based on my personal experience after owning several high end (and not so high end) German cars, and having owned the Genesis for a year now.

    The Genesis doesn't compare to current Audi and Mercedes offerings (not sure about BMW - I have never looked at those - but the Germans are typically pretty even).

    - The tech is a generation behind (at least) - with the exception of the HUD, all the advanced technology on this car is at least a generation or two behind German offerings - especially the lane keep assist (LKA) and the Adaptive Cruse Control (ACC). They work, but barely, and are often unreliable.
    - The naturally aspirated engines are a generation behind, and thirsty as can be (19 mpg average on my 3.6 RWD). I have no idea what the 3.3T will do, but the Genesis is still very heavy and will probably continue to be thirsty.
    - The service experience is geared towards Hyundai Elantra buyers, not towards luxury car buyers. I have unfortunately had to experience this several times, since my car is frequently at the dealership for warranty repairs.
    - The advertised "America's Best Warranty" is unfortunately no more than a marketing slogan - this is based on personal experience. They try to downplay any issues that don't keep the car from actually driving (do a search about battery issues, sunroof issues, tire vibration issues, etc.). If you show them an issue, they claim it's "normal" - I have 30 years of car ownership, having a car wobble around the street on brand new tires (after 4 warranty visits they replaced all four tires with the same brand and model tires, which is known to cause issues), or having the car vibrate at idle like you have a Magic Wand stuck under each seat is "normal" only in a Genesis - the $16,000 Chevy Cruze rental car I had for four weeks while the dealer was trying to sort out issues with my car didn't exhibit vibration issues at idle or while driving.
    - You will deal with Hyundai sales people and Hyundai service personnel. They are used to haggling and dealing with Eleantra buyers (no offense to anyone owning an Elantra - I have two friends who drive them, they are decent cars), and are the furthest away from a "luxury" car ownership experience you can be. More on the level of KIA or Mitsubishi than Audi, Lexus, BMW or Mercedes-Benz.

    I don't care about "image" - I drove Audi's back when people were still remembering the "unintended acceleration" lie perpetrated by "CBS’s 60 Minutes" and though it was actually true. People (including my girlfriend) questioned my decision to get a Genesis, mainly because of the image issue. The issue to me is not the "image", the issue is that the genesis doesn't offer a luxury car experience. It just checks to boxes that Hyundai felt it needed to check in order to be competitive with the German brands (and Lexus) on paper. You are definitely not getting the same for $50,000 on a Hyundai Genesis (the 3.3T will likely be more) that you get for $65,000 on a German sports sedan.

    Here are two quotes that I believe to be true, and will definitely put in the forefront of my mind when I get my next vehicle:

    1. The Bitterness of Poor Quality remains Long after the Sweetness of Low Price is Forgotten.

    2. The quality will remain long after the price is forgotten.

    All that said, there are plenty of happy owners here, and plenty of people who have had no issues with their vehicles. The fact seems to be, if you have an issue, you will not get an experience that resembles anything "luxury" at all. If you value your time and value the ownership erperience, I can say with certainty that Genesis is far from where they need to be. "Luxury" is more than slapping features on a vehicle and advertising it as a competitor to the Germans and Lexus ...

    Is the Genesis a bad car? No - but if you're comparing it to a german sports sedan, it's doesn't hold up in my opinion.
    2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 RWD Ultimate - Ibiza Blue/Ivory

    http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/413026.png
    In my Genesis garage: 2015 Hyundai Genesis

  4. #4
    silberma is offline Getting familiar with the group... What I drive: Genesis G80
    I live in Palm Beach, FL
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    86
    Cars in my garage
    0
    Rep Power
    1

    Default Re: Genesis G80 Sport vs german

    Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence Wuu View Post
    Currently in the market for a new sporty sedan. I'm considering between the new G80 Sport and the German equivalents. Does anyone have any ownership experiences they would like to share? Any problems with the current G80s?

    Lawrence
    The ride on my BMW535i is slightly better than the Genesis, however, it does not justify the $15,000 premium. I have my Genesis for 7 months and have not experienced any problems and I am throughly satisfied. No more BMW's for me.

  5. #5
    tuckerdog1's Avatar
    tuckerdog1 is online now Getting familiar with the group... What I drive: 2015 2G 5.0
    I live in TEXAS
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    99
    Cars in my garage
    1
    Rep Power
    1

    Default Re: Genesis G80 Sport vs german

    Quote Originally Posted by AustinTX View Post
    I have owned several German luxury cars, including Audi A6's and A8's.

    I know no one here wants to hear this (after all this is a Genesis owners Website), so I'm preparing for lots opposition here. This is based on my personal experience after owning several high end (and not so high end) German cars, and having owned the Genesis for a year now.

    The Genesis doesn't compare to current Audi and Mercedes offerings (not sure about BMW - I have never looked at those - but the Germans are typically pretty even).

    - The tech is a generation behind (at least) - with the exception of the HUD, all the advanced technology on this car is at least a generation or two behind German offerings - especially the lane keep assist (LKA) and the Adaptive Cruse Control (ACC). They work, but barely, and are often unreliable.
    - The naturally aspirated engines are a generation behind, and thirsty as can be (19 mpg average on my 3.6 RWD). I have no idea what the 3.3T will do, but the Genesis is still very heavy and will probably continue to be thirsty.
    - The service experience is geared towards Hyundai Elantra buyers, not towards luxury car buyers. I have unfortunately had to experience this several times, since my car is frequently at the dealership for warranty repairs.
    - The advertised "America's Best Warranty" is unfortunately no more than a marketing slogan - this is based on personal experience. They try to downplay any issues that don't keep the car from actually driving (do a search about battery issues, sunroof issues, tire vibration issues, etc.). If you show them an issue, they claim it's "normal" - I have 30 years of car ownership, having a car wobble around the street on brand new tires (after 4 warranty visits they replaced all four tires with the same brand and model tires, which is known to cause issues), or having the car vibrate at idle like you have a Magic Wand stuck under each seat is "normal" only in a Genesis - the $16,000 Chevy Cruze rental car I had for four weeks while the dealer was trying to sort out issues with my car didn't exhibit vibration issues at idle or while driving.
    - You will deal with Hyundai sales people and Hyundai service personnel. They are used to haggling and dealing with Eleantra buyers (no offense to anyone owning an Elantra - I have two friends who drive them, they are decent cars), and are the furthest away from a "luxury" car ownership experience you can be. More on the level of KIA or Mitsubishi than Audi, Lexus, BMW or Mercedes-Benz.

    I don't care about "image" - I drove Audi's back when people were still remembering the "unintended acceleration" lie perpetrated by "CBS’s 60 Minutes" and though it was actually true. People (including my girlfriend) questioned my decision to get a Genesis, mainly because of the image issue. The issue to me is not the "image", the issue is that the genesis doesn't offer a luxury car experience. It just checks to boxes that Hyundai felt it needed to check in order to be competitive with the German brands (and Lexus) on paper. You are definitely not getting the same for $50,000 on a Hyundai Genesis (the 3.3T will likely be more) that you get for $65,000 on a German sports sedan.

    Here are two quotes that I believe to be true, and will definitely put in the forefront of my mind when I get my next vehicle:

    1. The Bitterness of Poor Quality remains Long after the Sweetness of Low Price is Forgotten.

    2. The quality will remain long after the price is forgotten.

    All that said, there are plenty of happy owners here, and plenty of people who have had no issues with their vehicles. The fact seems to be, if you have an issue, you will not get an experience that resembles anything "luxury" at all. If you value your time and value the ownership erperience, I can say with certainty that Genesis is far from where they need to be. "Luxury" is more than slapping features on a vehicle and advertising it as a competitor to the Germans and Lexus ...

    Is the Genesis a bad car? No - but if you're comparing it to a german sports sedan, it's doesn't hold up in my opinion.
    Very even handed response.

    Wonder if the service experience will improve with the dedicated Genesis dealerships.

    I guess it's a lot like buying a house. Sometimes you pay more, not for the house, but for the neighbors.

    Tuckerdog1
    In my Genesis garage: 2015 Hyundai Genesis Sedan

  6. #6
    AustinTX is offline Registered Member What I drive: 2015 Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan RWD (2G)
    I live in Austin, TX
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Age
    47
    Posts
    279
    Cars in my garage
    1
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: Genesis G80 Sport vs german

    Quote Originally Posted by tuckerdog1 View Post
    Very even handed response.

    Wonder if the service experience will improve with the dedicated Genesis dealerships.

    I guess it's a lot like buying a house. Sometimes you pay more, not for the house, but for the neighbors.

    Tuckerdog1
    Thank you Tuckerdog.

    One can only hope that the service experience will improve. I have some experience with this, based on my move to Austin back in 2000. I had an Audi TT Roadster back then, purchased where I before lived - up north. Fun little car, that got an insane amount of attention, people would flock to it in parking lots or yell to me when stopped at a light or stop sign - "I love your car", stuff like that.

    Anyway, the car had an issue, and the Audi dealer in Austin (sleepy little town back then with hardly anyone who made Audi money - unlike the tech money we have today) was also the VW dealer, off of highway 183. Their "show rooom" had only a few cars, maybe including an Audi A4. Mostly VW's. The building was old and run down, there was no service waiting area, and they had very few technicians who could service any Audi products. It was an absolutely appalling experience to go there, from start to finish. No loaner cars (I had a sedan as my main car, so that wasn't too big of an issue), four - six week wait times for a warranty appointment, car in the shop for weeks for small issues, they lost my car one time when I was picking it up - some valet had parked it two lots away and didn't tell anyone where the car was, stuff not getting fixed the first or second time, so I had to take it back, wait another four weeks for an appointment ...

    I wrote a long letter to Audi, with the promise to create large stickers for my very noticeable car - something along the lines of "Don't buy an Audi - ask my about my experience". Got their attention, got my car fixed, and ultimately the Audi dealership was sold to the Roger Beasley group in Austin (I think it was sold again last year). They cleaned everything up nicely, including building two shiny new dealerships in north and south Austin with proper service departments, and loaners.

    So, there is hope that the service experience will improve - but probably not as long as they cohabitate with Hyundai dealerships in the same buildings. I think the expectations of Audi, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Jaguar, Lexus and other higher end brand customers that Genesis needs to attract are vastly different from what Hyundai buyers are looking for (which is primarily cost I assume).

    I love your comment about buying a house - very true. Never heard that before, but I'll memorize it since it's good example of this type of situation.
    In my Genesis garage: 2015 Hyundai Genesis

  7. #7
    Mark_888 is offline Registered Member What I drive: 1G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    11,288
    Cars in my garage
    0
    Rep Power
    20

    Default Re: Genesis G80 Sport vs german

    Quote Originally Posted by AustinTX View Post
    I love your comment about buying a house - very true. Never heard that before, but I'll memorize it since it's good example of this type of situation.
    I think that falls under the rule that there are 3 main considerations for buying real estate:
    1. Location
    2. Location
    3. Location

  8. #8
    chris41 is offline Registered Member What I drive: 2G Genesis 3.8 V6 Ultimate
    I live in Cleveland
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    281
    Cars in my garage
    0
    Rep Power
    1

    Default Re: Genesis G80 Sport vs german

    I liked your post AustinTx. My wife has a MB entry model GLA 250 and has owned the Audi entry model A4. My biggest gripe with both is the infotainment system. Trying to program the Nav is stupidly complex and frustrating. Too many steps to do the simplest thing and the voice program is terrible. I don't know if this would be the same on the more expensive models?

    I purchased my Genesis Ultimate new for $41k. I could only afford a used CPO higher end German brand (not talking the A4's, 3 series) at this price point.

    I always know I'm driving a Hyundai, but I see a genesis maybe once in a week. The ability to drive a rare car in my area, plus the stupid wing on the rear, makes driving my Genesis lots of fun.

  9. #9
    Bernster is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis 5.0 V8
    I live in Fort Lauderdale
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    36
    Cars in my garage
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Genesis G80 Sport vs german

    I don't know much about German vehicles other than the Mercedes 2013 S550 that I owned prior to purchasing a 2015 Genesis 5.0 Ultimate.The Mercedes was certainly a luxurious car much more luxurious than the Genesis. The service department at Mercedes was far superior to Hyundai and of course much more expensive. I did not care for the handling of the Mercedes as it was just simply too big a car for me. The air suspension ride was superior, however

    The Genesis has been a pain in the neck service wise. I was one of the first to complain about the flat spotting tires. I was able to get a good replacement of tires Before anybody else that I am aware of. From there it went downhill.

    The first major problem was the head unit for the radio had to be replaced which took over a month.The next problem was the car intermittently would not start. I had to take it back several times before the service department determined that it was a faulty brakes sensor. Also, I had the car in 4 times for a defective gas cap opener.

    Too many major repairs for a new car in my opinion.I never had this problem with Japanese vehicles such as Lexus and Infiniti. From what I understand unless you find a truly separate standalone Genesis dealer, you will still be dealing with Hyundai service which sucks.

  10. #10
    Mark_888 is offline Registered Member What I drive: 1G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    11,288
    Cars in my garage
    0
    Rep Power
    20

    Default Re: Genesis G80 Sport vs german

    Members don't see this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernster View Post
    From what I understand unless you find a truly separate standalone Genesis dealer, you will still be dealing with Hyundai service which sucks.
    It will take awhile before we see a lot of standalone Genesis dealers, especially until they release the 2 CUV/SUV's that they have already announced are coming over the next couple of years, plus a smaller sedan. It would be pretty hard for a dealership to be profitable with just the G80 and G90. More than half of Lexus and Acura sales in the USA are CUV's or SUV's (probably the same with other brands also).

    The other issue is that many standalone Genesis dealers are likely to be owned by companies who already own a Hyundai dealership. If Genesis happens to be their first luxury brand, that could be a problem. If they already have some other luxury brands then they probably know what should be done to satisfy luxury brand buyers. Management is going to have to pay more than they pay to Hyundai employees to attract the right talent if they want the kind of customer experience that Genesis owners will expect.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
MADISON ROSS MEDIA GROUP MARKETPLACE
Need products for your Hyundai Genesis? Check out these options below:



 

Check out what the competition is up to. The Kia Stinger is a large sport-oriented hatchback in the mold of the Audi A7.