Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

genesis motors forum   genesis motors forums

Direct Links: Genesis Motors Brand | Genesis G70 | Genesis G80 | Genesis G90 | Genesis Sedan | Genesis Coupe | Equus
Genesis Forum: Not so fast
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not so fast

easygoer13 is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: No Genesis Yet!
    I live in Cali
    Cars in my garage

Default Not so fast

Members don't see this ad
    I am new here and am closing to getting a G80

I was set on the Ultimate Santiago with Black or the Grey but now I am reconsidering if the Premium meets my needs for less.

If anyone was deciding between the two...what swayed you one way or the other

I drove the car tonight for the first time and really liked it.....simply a really nice ride

Mark_888 is online now Registered Member What I drive: 1G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    Cars in my garage

Default Re: Not so fast

Quote Originally Posted by easygoer13 View Post
    I am new here and am closing to getting a G80

I was set on the Ultimate Santiago with Black or the Grey but now I am reconsidering if the Premium meets my needs for less.

I drove the car tonight for the first time and really liked it.....simply a really nice ride
    Did you look at the list of features that are in each Package upgrade? You probably know what features that are of value to you, a lot better than someone else knows what features are of value to you.

pmcjr is offline Getting familiar with the group... What I drive: Genesis G80
    I live in Florida
    Cars in my garage

I opted for the G80 base model largely because I didn't want a sun roof and it comes with all the safety features standard. For me, no need to spend extra for package bells and whistles. Like an earlier post said, look closely at the features in each trim and decide what you really need or want.
    2017 Genesis G80 3.8
    Casablanca White

I live in Cali
    Cars in my garage

Thank you...yes.....For me what swayed me to the ultimate at first was the Lexicon which I learned after was similar with the Premium. The seats. the trunk opener which if I am correct is actually the same across the board and the Nav screen....not sure if those make it worth the extra spend....I am getting some numbers today and now think it will be about 60-65 less which is something to consider.

- - - Updated - - -

its funny....The roof to me was something I was not overly concerned with however I do like the styling it adds to any car....but on the test drive with only the shade open my opinion changed, I really enjoyed how expansive it seemed to make the driving experience and now is sure thing for me.

Mark_888 is online now Registered Member What I drive: 1G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    Cars in my garage

For me what swayed me to the ultimate at first was the Lexicon which I learned after was similar with the Premium.
    The main difference between the 17-speaker Lexicon system and the 14-speaker system is that only the 17-speaker system plays discrete 5 channel or 7 channel surround sound (recorded with 5 or 7 channels in the studio and only available on a DVD-A disc). There is not much music recorded as discrete 5 channel or 7 channel surround on DVD-A, but it does sound spectacular if you find one you like.

The 17-speaker surround sound also has a little better sub-woofer, and a 3 extra speakers for better surround sound.

Both 14 and 17 speaker systems will take a stereo recording and synthesize it into a surround sound signal (by creating delayed rear channels to simulate a concert hall). Obviously, both systems also play regular stereo (as does the 7-speaker sound system on Base Trim model).

I live in Cali
    Cars in my garage

Thank you.....I very much enjoy music, I am sure there is a slight difference but until you could really AB them I doubt you would notice much....slight perhaps but not a big difference unless as you mentioned you have 7 channel source

AustinTX is offline Registered Member What I drive: 2015 Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan RWD (2G)
    I live in Austin, TX
    Cars in my garage

According to the Hyundai Website, the Ultimate package on the G80 adds:

+ Genuine matte-finish wood trim and aluminum trim
    + Premium leather seating surfaces
    + Power driver seat cushion extension and side bolster
    + Full color Heads-up Display
    + Dual mode front vent control and CO2 sensor
    + Premium 9.2” touchscreen navigation with 720p HD display and Driver Information System (Apple CarPlay and Android Auto not available)
    + Lexicon® 17-speaker 7.1 Discrete surround-sound audio system
    + Power trunk lid

- The wood/aluminum is very nice on my Ultimate, but not worth the price premium in my opinion.
    - The premium leather is nice, again I'm not sure it adds enough to the car for me to justify the extra cost
    - The power cushion extender and side bolster may be nice if you're tall. The side bolster thing to me is a total gimmick, but others might disagree
    - The biggest selling point for the Ultimate me is the head-up display (HUD). I don't think I ever want to own a car without that feature again. It's very well done in the Genesis, and I find it super useful. You should try it out, it's much more than a gimmick!
    - I can't comment on the usefulness of the "dual mode front vent control and CO2 sensor" - it's not something I ever notice, or find better than on previous cars I have owned.
    - The 9.2" touchscreen is nice and responsive, the lack of Apple CarPlay and Android Auto is unfortunate
    - The difference between the 14 and 17 speaker audio systems are not discernible to me, but I am not an audiophile, and a car is generally not a great place to create a satisfying audio experience with road and traffic noise, and the weird shapes of the interior. I suggest you take a CD or other uncompressed audio source and ask the dealer to let you sit in the cars and play with the settings on both systems. You may get a weird look from the sales guy, but then, maybe not.
    - The power trunk-lid is nice to have, especially when you both hands full as it will open automatically on approach from the back of the car.

The biggest downside on the Ultimate trim for me is the complete lack of Apple CarPlay and Android Auto support, especially since it's available on the lower trims as a standard feature. The G80 at least offers free map updates and free access to Google voice search for three years, unlike the 2015 Genesis Ultimate I own.

Overall, the sum of the parts makes the Ultimate package a nice to have. My lease price was a few $ per months different, and the exterior color I like (Ibiza Blue) was only available on the Ultimate trim. I think $4,200 is a sizable amount to pay for these things, but on my lease I think it came down to $20/month, so it was an easy decision for me ...
    2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 RWD Ultimate - Ibiza Blue/Ivory

http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/413026.png
    In my Genesis garage: 2015 Hyundai Genesis

onailrof is offline Getting familiar with the group... What I drive: Genesis G80 V6 AWD
    Cars in my garage

I find the seats much more comfortable with the Ultimate package. I'm not tall and I could really tell the difference between the two seats. I also drive - a lot. My G80 is 6 months old and I have 10,000 miles on it.

I happen to like having a sunroof, so that was a plus for me too.

I also love the HUD. This is my first time with this type of technology and it's great, especially at night.

As for the rest, no real need, although people can't believe it's real wood on the dash/doors.

I live in Cali
    Cars in my garage

Thank you....I am going with the Ultimate in the Santiago Silver .....I agree I did think the seats felt better the HUD is not something I cared about but it seems to be something that once you have it you appreciate it....I liked the seats and hands free trunk and bigger Nav screen...when I did the math over 3 years I am paying $1800.00 more then the Premium
    which to me was worth the extra money....I would have hated to regret it after

MrG_NY is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: Genesis G80
    I live in Lower Hudson Valley
    Cars in my garage

Members don't see this ad
    I have the premium and was originally going to go for the ultimate. After thinking about it I went for the premium. My car was in for service and I got a loaner ultimate with 60 miles on it. I had the car for 4 days and would take the premium in a hear beat. The upgraded package is not worth 5k. The stitching on the seats is nicer in the upgrade and the hud. The power trunk take or leave it. The stereo not a big difference, a little cleaner. My car and the loaner same color difference was interior. I actually liked the trim in mine better except for the stitching.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast