Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

genesis motors forum   genesis motors forums

Direct Links: Genesis Motors Brand | Genesis G70 | Genesis G80 | Genesis G90 | Genesis Sedan | Genesis Coupe | Equus
Genesis Forum: Cross Drilled & Dimpled Rotors Noise
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    losboricua is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in NE Ohio
    Cars in my garage

Default Cross Drilled & Dimpled Rotors Noise

Members don't see this ad
    This is driving me crazy. I needed new brakes and after some research I decided to go with Alien Brake(Quick Stop Pro) cross drilled/ dimpled with Power Stop Z23 pads. I installed them, cleaned the everything properly and they look great and perform great. Only problem I have it that when braking between between 50-20mph I heard a noticeable clicking type of noise and it get decently quiet between 20-0mph but I can still hear it.

I checked everything, made sure that everything was greased properly. I did bed the pads in by PowerStop instructions. Anyone experienced similar issue?

2015 Genesis 3.8 Ultimate Black on Black
    Rear Debadged with Wings, Tint(45/35), Rear Window Spoiler, ARK Springs, Ruff R1 20's Staggered
    1981 Camaro Z28 Silver Mildly Modified SBC 350

Aquineas is offline Been here awhile... What I drive: Genesis 5.0 V8 Ultimate
    I live in Georgetown, TX
    Cars in my garage

Default Re: Cross Drilled & Dimpled Rotors Noise

Hmmm I have a set of front Stoptech Rotors and Pads and I have not noticed this issue.
    Genesis Mods:
    Lowering Springs
    20" Wheels
    2x12 Subwoofer
    Stoptech Rotors + Pads
    KDM Headlights
    Rigid Subframe Collar
    In my Genesis garage: 2015 Hyundai Genesis

I live in NE Ohio
    Cars in my garage

This is the clicking noise that I was hearing for the past 5 days but way louder.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/flwy8zwz89...42.21.mp4?dl=0

I unbolted the whole caliper assembly loaded with the Power Stop Z23 pads as a whole, swapped the rotors back with the factory ones, reassembled the calipers. Took a test drive and the car drives soooooo quiet.

The biggest BS is that the guys at Alien Brakes won't cover the return shipping because he is blaming the pads or calipers which I know that it is not the problem. I paid $70 to get them shipped when I ordered them and now I got to pay another $70 to return them. Basically $140 in the hole for nothing. Total BS

NSXNEXT is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis 5.0 V8 R-Spec Sedan
    Cars in my garage

A quick Google search seems to confirm that slotted rotors can produce a clicking sound as the pad brushes over the slots.
    So now you're running aftermarket pads with stock rotors?
    Seems to confirm that.
    2013 Titanium Gray Metallic RSpec sedan
    OEM wood wheel
    KDM airbag, wheel caps, trunk emblem
    Hoen H7 high beams / H8 yellow fogs
    Uniq Performance Rigid Collars
    Niche M157 Matte Charcoal 20x8.5 +35 / 20x10 +40
    XPEL full hood, front bumper, front quarter panels, mirrors
    Optimum Opti-Coat
    Magnaflow catback and MSA cat deletes - gone but not forgotten
    Coming soon: matte charcoal wrapped chrome trim

Aquineas is offline Been here awhile... What I drive: Genesis 5.0 V8 Ultimate
    I live in Georgetown, TX
    Cars in my garage

Wow that sucks :-(. I think there's an opportunity for Hyundai to do more of what Nismo and TRD does in offering factory authorized mods where you can get mods like this from the factory that you know will work, avoiding being the guinea pig. I took a chance with the Stoptech kit (as I hadn't seen anyone else reference it) and it paid off. I could have just as easily gone the Alien Brake route.
    In my Genesis garage: 2015 Hyundai Genesis

I live in NE Ohio
    Cars in my garage

The thing that sucks is that I have installed at least 20 sets(previous cars and friends) cross drill/slotted rotor with not issues. I'm probably going to go back to R1Concept or new blank rotors. Mine are warped so braking at high speed sucks right now.

84FordMan is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis 4.6 V8 Tau Sedan
    I live in NC
    Cars in my garage

Check the brake pad hardware. On "Brembo-style" calipers that use the locating pins, as well as genuine Brembo calipers, the metal clips that the locating pins ride on can get misaligned and cause a clicking noise as pads load and unload.

If you Google 'Brembo clicking noise' you'll find a Youtube video that shows proper clip alignment, while the clip will not be an exact design to the one Mando uses, it uses the same principle of even gap.

Also we have encountered this before and it concerns the pads. Some pad manufacturers take a 'close enough' approach to fit as many different applications as possible with one part number. This will sometimes leave a pad that is not the correct thickness when new and thus when the pistons retract, there will be a small gap between the piston and backing plate of the pads, creating a clicking sound next time the brakes are engaged.
    -- 2010 3.8 Coupe Auto Bathurst Black -- (Gone)
    - Flowmaster 80-series/R2C/Sedan calipers/RMR grille
    - Top Speed headers/Megan mid-pipe/Nexus7 in dash

-- 2011 4.6 Sedan Tech/Prem Platinum Metallic --
    - Custom SRI
    - MSA X-pipe
    - Depo Racing test pipes
    - Coupe Brembo swap
    - BTR Tuned

Ambush is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Carolinas
    Cars in my garage

YES!!!!!!!!!! Someone is experiencing the same as me. CLICK CLICK CLUNK. I have Power Stop CDS rotors and Power Stop Pads. Ever since I put them on the front I hear it. It is SO ANNOYING. Click CLUMK when I am going 20mph to a stop. It is REALLY loud sometimes like a clicking CV joint or something.

I have no idea how to fix it. Car brakes FINE otherwise. I checked my pads last week and they have so much meat on them.
    If you all find out anything please let me know.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 84FordMan View Post
    Check the brake pad hardware. On "Brembo-style" calipers that use the locating pins, as well as genuine Brembo calipers, the metal clips that the locating pins ride on can get misaligned and cause a clicking noise as pads load and unload.

If you Google 'Brembo clicking noise' you'll find a Youtube video that shows proper clip alignment, while the clip will not be an exact design to the one Mando uses, it uses the same principle of even gap.

Also we have encountered this before and it concerns the pads. Some pad manufacturers take a 'close enough' approach to fit as many different applications as possible with one part number. This will sometimes leave a pad that is not the correct thickness when new and thus when the pistons retract, there will be a small gap between the piston and backing plate of the pads, creating a clicking sound next time the brakes are engaged.
    With this being said, should I try Autozone's best pads and see what happens? They are about $52.00 or so.
    2012 Satin White 3.8 Sedan Pearl/Saddle: Premium
    Power Slot CDS Rotors
    In my Genesis garage: 2012 Hyundai Genesis

I live in NE Ohio
    Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by 84FordMan View Post

Before I took my factory pads I took a picture and made sure that I put the pins and new hardware back that same way. I tripled checked everything and then once I removed the front rotors and put the factory fronts back the noise went away in the fronts. Now I can hear the same noise in the back but it is a lot less noticeable.

I'm just going to get new blank rotors today from Rock Auto and use the replacement Power Stop sent me.

I live in NE Ohio
    Cars in my garage

Members don't see this ad
    Just wanted to update everyone in case someone experience the same issue. New Cetric blank rotors arrived today, I installed them and all the noise went away. I think it was the weird dimpled teardrop shaped slots causing all the issues. Another note to add, do not order rotors from Alien Brakes(Quick Stop Pro company), they will blame everything but their product. I was super nice to them but it got to the point I had to be aggressive about the return of the defected product.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast