Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

genesis motors forum   genesis motors forums

Direct Links: Genesis Motors Brand | Genesis G70 | Genesis G80 | Genesis G90 | Genesis Sedan | Genesis Coupe | Equus
Genesis Forum: Does A Genesis Dealer Have To Do Oil Changes For G90 Warranty To Be Valid?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtmtmt is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: G90, Ultimate 5.0, Casablanca White, AWD
    I live in Northeast PA
    Cars in my garage

Default Does A Genesis Dealer Have To Do Oil Changes For G90 Warranty To Be Valid?

Members don't see this ad
    My nearest Genesis dealer is nearly 100 miles from me. I refuse to let anyone drive my car that distance.

Now I'm trying to figure out if my local mechanic can do the oil changes and the G90 still be covered by the warranty. I will have to pay for the oil and filter, but it is offset by the gas to the dealer, 200 miles wear and tear on the car, and my time (although that's not worth much).

I was initially attracted by the Genesis Service that provided a loaner while they came and picked up my G90. But I'm not about to let anyone else drive the 200 mile round trip to the dealer. If I have to, I'll drive to the dealer.

The dealership assured me that they would drive to my house, since they are the closest Genesis dealer to me.

dave1442397 is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: No Genesis Yet!
    I live in NJ
    Cars in my garage

Default Re: Does A Genesis Dealer Have To Do Oil Changes For G90 Warranty To Be Valid?

You can have it serviced anywhere. Just make sure you keep your documentation.

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...ne-maintenance

L8RSK8R is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: Equus Signature
    I live in San Diego
    Cars in my garage

Default Re: Does A Genesis Dealer Have To Do Oil Changes For G90 Warranty To Be Valid?

It's not worth the 200 mile drive.

Mark_888 is offline Registered Member What I drive: 1G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    Cars in my garage

The warranty will remain intact if your local mechanic does the oil change (as noted, make sure you keep the documentation). But I would purchase OEM oil filters from a dealer (there are dealers who sell them online) and give them to your local mechanic when doing the oil change.

jsmit86 is offline Registered Member What I drive: 2G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Elgin, IL
    Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_888 View Post
    The warranty will remain intact if your local mechanic does the oil change (as noted, make sure you keep the documentation). But I would purchase OEM oil filters from a dealer (there are dealers who sell them online) and give them to your local mechanic when doing the oil change.
    Good advice. There have been issues with aftermarket filters. Best to avoid that.
    2015 Genesis Signature 3.8 AWD
    Montecito Blue/Beige Interior

Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by jsmit86 View Post
    Good advice. There have been issues with aftermarket filters. Best to avoid that.
    There are only two kinds of Genesis Motors (or Hyundai Genesis/Equus) oil filters:

1. Those cartridges that are made by Mahle, which includes the OEM filters, and some major aftermarket brands
    2. Those cartridges that are not made by Mahle and are crap (usually made in China)

So there is no benefit to getting an aftermarket cartridge oil filter for a Genesis Motors vehicle. All the good ones are identical to the OEM filer.

jjsC6 is offline Registered Member What I drive: In His/Her Dreams (Doesn't own one yet)
    I live in Houston
    Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_888 View Post
    There are only two kinds of Genesis Motors (or Hyundai Genesis/Equus) oil filters:

1. Those cartridges that are made by Mahle, which includes the OEM filters, and some major aftermarket brands
    2. Those cartridges that are not made by Mahle and are crap (usually made in China)

So there is no benefit to getting an aftermarket cartridge oil filter for a Genesis Motors vehicle. All the good ones are identical to the OEM filer.
    That's a pretty funny statement given the car is made in Korea.

Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by jjsC6 View Post
    That's a pretty funny statement given the car is made in Korea.
    I am lost. What are you talking about?

Mahle makes the entire oil filter canister unit, and is the supplier of oil filter cartridges to Hyundai/Kia. They also sell the exact same oil filter cartridge to aftermarket oil filter companies. Companies like Fram, Purolater, etc don't make all the filters they sell.

The only exception is that the 2009-2011 3.8 Hyundai OEM filters were made by Mann-Hummel.

Goaterguy is online now Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: No Genesis Yet!
    Cars in my garage

mtmtmt is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: G90, Ultimate 5.0, Casablanca White, AWD
    I live in Northeast PA
    Cars in my garage

Members don't see this ad
    Thanks for all the info on the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act and the recommendation to use Hyundai brand oil filters.

I am having trouble determining which part number is the correct Hyundai oil filter. Is the Hyundai part number this: 26320-3C30A (cartridge)

If anyone has a link to buying the correct oil filter, I would appreciate it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast