Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

genesis motors forum   genesis motors forums

Direct Links: Genesis Motors Brand | Genesis G70 | Genesis G80 | Genesis G90 | Genesis Sedan | Genesis Coupe | Equus
Genesis Forum: 5.0, or Sport?
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 69

Thread: 5.0, or Sport?

  1. #1
    Dai Uy Ted's Avatar
    Dai Uy Ted is offline Registered Member What I drive: '17 G80 Ultimate 5.0
    I live in Titusville FL
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Age
    72
    Posts
    87
    Cars in my garage
    0
    Rep Power
    3

    Question 5.0, or Sport?

    Members don't see this ad
    Thoughts?

    I'm considering trading my '15 Coupe Ultimate in on a G80.

    I can get a new 5.0 now, in a color I like, for about $50k.

    Or I can wait for a Sport. Rumored to be available sometime this month, at about $55k. I like the new look of the Sport, and that it is purported to have a sportier feel. The 10% increase in price is somewhat of a factor, but more urgently:
    -Will it actually show up here in Florida soon?
    -Will the dealers keep the asking price of a new, hot model at the MSRP, or tack on $2k, or $5k, or $10k more?
    -And, can I have confidence in an entirely new-to-the-market engine?

    Thoughts? Thanks!
    - Ted

    Don't take yourself so seriously.
    No one else does.


  2. #2
    MadCat's Avatar
    MadCat is online now Registered Member What I drive: Genesis V8 5.0 Ultimate
    I live in Brooklyn, NY
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    113
    Cars in my garage
    1
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: 5.0, or Sport?

    Wait for G80 Sport.

    2015 Genesis V8 5.0 Ultimate
    G80 Full LED Headlight System
    K&N Drop In Filters
    Niche Wheels
    2017 Mercedes Benz AMG C43 Coupe

    SOLD:
    2016 Mercedes AMG C450
    2014 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Ultimate Black
    2015 Hyundai Sonata 2.4 Limited
    In my Genesis garage: 2015 Hyundai Genesis V8 Ultimate

  3. #3
    PMCErnie is offline Registered Member What I drive: 1G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Richmond, VA
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,937
    Cars in my garage
    0
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: 5.0, or Sport?

    You'll likely see the Sport in Florida by June. You'll get a 10/100,000 mile warranty on the engine.
    2012 Cabernet Red Pearl & Cashmere
    3.8 V-6 with Premium Pkg only

    Mods/Accessories: Trunk wings, wheel cap wings, chrome side trim, illuminated door sills, mud guards, all-weather winter floor mats and trunk cargo mat. Llumar Air Blue 80 ceramic tint. Custom-made left foot rest/dead pedal.

    - 2014 Santa Fe Sport 2.0T AWD

  4. #4
    akeelj's Avatar
    akeelj is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis/Equus In His/Her Dreams (Doesn't own one yet)
    I live in Los Angeles Area
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    101
    Cars in my garage
    0
    Rep Power
    3

    Default Re: 5.0, or Sport?

    You can bet your a$$ dealers will have a markup on the G80s. I foresee 1-4K ask over MSRP after launch. Hopefully, the price will normalize or even start to discount after the 3.8 and 5.0 are released in September. If you can hold out until then, I say wait for the newness to wear off then pull the trigger.

  5. #5
    Mark_888 is online now Registered Member What I drive: 1G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    11,411
    Cars in my garage
    0
    Rep Power
    20

    Default Re: 5.0, or Sport?

    Quote Originally Posted by akeelj View Post
    You can bet your a$$ dealers will have a markup on the G80s. I foresee 1-4K ask over MSRP after launch. Hopefully, the price will normalize or even start to discount after the 3.8 and 5.0 are released in September. If you can hold out until then, I say wait for the newness to wear off then pull the trigger.
    The MSRP of a G80 Sport 3.3TT is pretty high (about $56K), and I doubt that many (or maybe none) will be sold over MSRP. Dealers are making a bundle at MSRP, especially with holdbacks and incentives.

  6. #6
    GeorgiaGuy is offline Registered Member What I drive: 2G Genesis Sedan
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    33
    Cars in my garage
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: 5.0, or Sport?

    I am also waiting to turn in my 2015 Ultimate. I agree with Mark, I don't believe Genesis (Hyundai) has a strong enough following on high price cars to try and up charge. My local dealer has 21 G80's and 3 G90's in stock. I can appreciate they want to sell the 2017 model first but I feel confident they will negotiate on the 2018 model. Time will tell.

  7. #7
    akeelj's Avatar
    akeelj is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis/Equus In His/Her Dreams (Doesn't own one yet)
    I live in Los Angeles Area
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    101
    Cars in my garage
    0
    Rep Power
    3

    Default Re: 5.0, or Sport?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_888 View Post
    The MSRP of a G80 Sport 3.3TT is pretty high (about $56K), and I doubt that many (or maybe none) will be sold over MSRP. Dealers are making a bundle at MSRP, especially with holdbacks and incentives.
    Ahh Mark_888, always with the counterpoint 😉.

    There wasn't a large enough difference between the '15-'17 Genny/G80 to justify a dealer add. The 2018 G80s is an arguably enhanced model (engine, features, styling) and Genesis knows this ($56K+ MSRP). With a 4 month advance on the regular G80 models, why wouldnt dealers charge an initial markup? They can attempt to gouge early adopters while creating enough of a price gap to make existing '17 inventory look very attractive.

  8. #8
    Mark_888 is online now Registered Member What I drive: 1G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    11,411
    Cars in my garage
    0
    Rep Power
    20

    Default Re: 5.0, or Sport?

    Quote Originally Posted by akeelj View Post
    Ahh Mark_888, always with the counterpoint ��.

    There wasn't a large enough difference between the '15-'17 Genny/G80 to justify a dealer add. The 2018 G80s is an arguably enhanced model (engine, features, styling) and Genesis knows this ($56K+ MSRP). With a 4 month advance on the regular G80 models, why wouldnt dealers charge an initial markup? They can attempt to gouge early adopters while creating enough of a price gap to make existing '17 inventory look very attractive.
    Dealers will try and charge whatever they can get. But since dealers have been selling the Hyundai Genesis or Genesis G80 for quite a while, generally with $3K-$10K discounts, it seems that charging more than MSRP would be hard to get. But I could be wrong, and each dealer sets their own prices.

    Most people would consider MSRP to be gouging on a Hyundai or Genesis.

  9. #9
    akeelj's Avatar
    akeelj is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis/Equus In His/Her Dreams (Doesn't own one yet)
    I live in Los Angeles Area
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    101
    Cars in my garage
    0
    Rep Power
    3

    Default Re: 5.0, or Sport?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_888 View Post
    Dealers will try and charge whatever they can get. But since dealers have been selling the Hyundai Genesis or Genesis G80 for quite a while, generally with $3K-$10K discounts, it seems that charging more than MSRP would be hard to get. But I could be wrong, and each dealer sets their own prices.

    Most people would consider MSRP to be gouging on a Hyundai or Genesis.
    I agree that most Hyundai shoppers expect a discount from MSRP but this is Genesis. Hyundai is trying launch a brand that they hope will be considered in the same circle as the Japanese and German lux brands.
    Perhaps it's the buyer that need to adjust his/her perception of the cars being upscale Hyundais vs. genuine luxury cars
    Last edited by akeelj; 05-01-2017 at 01:19 PM.

  10. #10
    dareckibmw's Avatar
    dareckibmw is online now Supporting Member What I drive: 2G Genesis 5.0 V8 Sedan
    I live in Romeoville, IL
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Age
    46
    Posts
    1,472
    Cars in my garage
    0
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: 5.0, or Sport?

    Members don't see this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by akeelj View Post
    ...They can attempt to gouge early adopters while creating enough of a price gap to make existing '17 inventory look very attractive.
    Reading this, I'm already afraid to go for an oil change with my '15 5.0.....might end up driving back home in a new vehicle.

    It happened before and it'll happen again! ......question: WHEN?

    2015 Hyundai Genesis 5.0 V8 Empire State Gray (fastest color ever)
    2013 Hyundai Genesis 5.0 V8 R-Spec Titanium Gray Metallic (fastest color Rspec) (sold)
    2014 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.3L AWD (Wife's car)
    1999 BMW 540i/6 (sold)
    1998 BMW 540i/6 (sold)
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
MADISON ROSS MEDIA GROUP MARKETPLACE
Need products for your Hyundai Genesis? Check out these options below:


 

Check out what the competition is up to. The Kia Stinger is a large sport-oriented hatchback in the mold of the Audi A7.