Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

genesis motors forum   genesis motors forums

Direct Links: Genesis Motors Brand | Genesis G70 | Genesis G80 | Genesis G90 | Genesis Sedan | Genesis Coupe | Equus
Genesis Forum: Does anyone know the sales numbers for the G90?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Doktormoo is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: Genesis G90
    I live in Grand Rapids, MI
    Cars in my garage

Default Re: Does anyone know the sales numbers for the G90?

Members don't see this ad
    It is clear that Genesis is throttling production. They have the capability to manufacture much more and it seems like a very smart strategy to build the brand in the right way. Mine should be here at the end of the month and I cannot wait to drive around in it.

turnne is offline Registered Member What I drive: Equus Signature
    Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by jsmit86 View Post
    Outselling the Lexus LS.
    You are comparing to a car that hasnt had a redesign in many years

I would say wait until the new LS500 rolls out and then compare the numbers

I bet you see a serious uptick in the Lexus numbers

Warren

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Doktormoo View Post
    It is clear that Genesis is throttling production. They have the capability to manufacture much more and it seems like a very smart strategy to build the brand in the right way. Mine should be here at the end of the month and I cannot wait to drive around in it.
    why would say they are throttling back production?

if any manufacturer wasnt producing the cars that the market demanding they would be crazy...since they are "for profit" companies

What they might be doing is trying to keep a glut of cars coming off lease at the same time

But the lease residual is at 43% for this car after 36 months...so its really already at the low point
    I guess if they flooded the market they could even drive it down further when the 3 year old lease cars come back in

Warren

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by wayles View Post
    Does anyone have access to the sales numbers for the G90 since it first went on sale? Also, the split between V8 and V6 versions.

On another thread I saw numbers of 300+ country wide in the month of April. That ain't a lot of cars. Toyota makes more Camry's than that in an hour or two.
    I use this link
    http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2015/11...ly-yearly.html

Its really not fair to compare $$ on cars that are in completely different price classes

A good litmus test is to check cars like the Mercedes E class..BMW 5 series...Lexus GS..Cadillac CT6

Doesnt take you long to figure out that luxury sedans are a shrinking market and that the Germans seems to be dominating the segment
    Its seems that Hyundai/Genesis needs to get a slew of SUV's/Crossovers in the market place

That category is far more profitable , growing and the Germans dont have it locked up

Warren

YEH is offline Registered Member What I drive: In His/Her Dreams (Doesn't own one yet)
    I live in NYC/MD
    Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by turnne View Post
    You are comparing to a car that hasnt had a redesign in many years
    That's no one's fault but Toyota's (and the reason why Toyota didn't launch a new LS on schedule was that they wanted to squeeze every last penny out of the current platform and engine as the ROI isn't great).

And nonetheless, no matter the circumstances, there were many doubters that the G90 would ever outsell the LS (much less the A8 and XJ which are on normal schedule).

I would say wait until the new LS500 rolls out and then compare the numbers
    Can always play the game of wait.

No doubt the new LS500 should turn the table by a good margin (at least at the start). but one could always just say - wait until the next gen G90 (which should be significantly better in all areas, but particularly in sheetmetal).

why would say they are throttling back production?
    Hyundai isn't throttling production.

In fact, a year or so ago, they came to an agreement w/ the Korean auto union to double G90 production in order to meet demand.

Nonetheless, they seem to be pretty careful with the supply of G90s for the US market - which is fine as they are still filling back-orders for the Korean market.

Its really not fair to compare $$ on cars that are in completely different price classes

Well, then the LS shouldn't be compared to the S Class or for that matter, even the 7 Series at the high end (where only the S Class in Maybach form is seen as being a lower-cost alternative to a Bentley or Rolls).

And this was especially true years ago.

1999 Base prices

LS400 - $55,186
    Jaguar Vanden Plas - $66,613
    Audi A8 4.2 Quattro - $67,500
    BMW 740iL - $68,828
    MB S430 - $72,353

A good litmus test is to check cars like the Mercedes E class..BMW 5 series...Lexus GS..Cadillac CT6
    Except, that's what the G80 competes against (except for maybe the CT6 which is a tweener).
    Last edited by YEH; 05-15-2017 at 03:32 AM.

YEH is offline Registered Member What I drive: In His/Her Dreams (Doesn't own one yet)
    I live in NYC/MD
    Cars in my garage

While many Genesis buyers come from inside the Korean automaker’s family – most directly from Hyundai – Lexus owners represent the largest segment – 30% – of conquest buyers to the brand, followed by BMW (15%), Cadillac and Mercedes-Benz (both 11%). Acura, Audi, Infiniti and Lincoln buyers make up the balance of conquest buyers.

http://wardsauto.com/industry/genesi...-luxury-market

Riley2323 is online now Getting familiar with the group... What I drive: 2017 G90 Ultimate, Caspian Black
    I live in Connecticut
    Cars in my garage

Good article and interesting strategy.

I bucked the trend somewhat, was only 44.

Sept 2016=10 cars sold, Oct=92, 301,379, Jan 2017=468, 327, 408, 316, May 2017= 397 if you don't want to hit the sales link a couple posts above.

turnne is offline Registered Member What I drive: Equus Signature
    Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by YEH View Post
    That's no one's fault but Toyota's (and the reason why Toyota didn't launch a new LS on schedule was that they wanted to squeeze every last penny out of the current platform and engine as the ROI isn't great).

And nonetheless, no matter the circumstances, there were many doubters that the G90 would ever outsell the LS (much less the A8 and XJ which are on normal schedule).
    what are you talking about?
    The current A8 has been around for years
    Comparing a brand new car that was just released compared to one that has been on the market for years doesnt make sense

Can always play the game of wait.

No doubt the new LS500 should turn the table by a good margin (at least at the start). but one could always just say - wait until the next gen G90 (which should be significantly better in all areas, but particularly in sheetmetal).
    I dont know of many near cars that dont get a spike in sales do you?
    Its just a natural occurrence
    I guess we will have to see what the LS does in its first few months compared to what the G90 has done in sales

Hyundai isn't throttling production.

In fact, a year or so ago, they came to an agreement w/ the Korean auto union to double G90 production in order to meet demand.

Nonetheless, they seem to be pretty careful with the supply of G90s for the US market - which is fine as they are still filling back-orders for the Korean market.
    I dont think they are throttling production in the least for the United States
    I just think there is not a great demand for them

They are discounting them online already
    The lease residuals are 43-45%
    There is at least a 90 day supply of them being advertised online
    Despite offering AWD which, in theory, should have made it open to a much wider market
    Its not really out doing what the Equus sales numbers were...and the lease residuals are almost the exact same

Well, then the LS shouldn't be compared to the S Class or for that matter, even the 7 Series at the high end (where only the S Class in Maybach form is seen as being a lower-cost alternative to a Bentley or Rolls).

And this was especially true years ago.

1999 Base prices

LS400 - $55,186
    Jaguar Vanden Plas - $66,613
    Audi A8 4.2 Quattro - $67,500
    BMW 740iL - $68,828
    MB S430 - $72,353
    I dont think the market really compares the LS to the S class...do you?
    It makes the most sense to compare cars of like technology

There is a large gap in the current LS and the S class

Except, that's what the G80 competes against (except for maybe the CT6 which is a tweener).
    Do you really think the average E class buyer is considering a G80?
    The technology gap is huge between those two cars

In fact the E class has several options and more customization than even a G90 does

The G90 is much more of a competitor to cars like the CT6 the new Volvo and Lincoln cars
    I drove the G90 and CT6 back to back one day
    Its really 6 of one and half a dozen of the other comparing the two
    The Ct6 is a better driving car and feels a lot more engineered and technology based
    The G90 feels better finished than the CT6

Neither buyer of the two would ( or should have) S class expectations
    So it just a case of what is important in driving those two

Warren

- - - Updated - - -

While many Genesis buyers come from inside the Korean automaker’s family – most directly from Hyundai – Lexus owners represent the largest segment – 30% – of conquest buyers to the brand, followed by BMW (15%), Cadillac and Mercedes-Benz (both 11%). Acura, Audi, Infiniti and Lincoln buyers make up the balance of conquest buyers.

http://wardsauto.com/industry/genesi...-luxury-market
    The G90 sales numbers are trending quite close to the numbers for the Equus average in the same time period

Were those same conquests the ones for the Equus?

Lease residuals for the two cars , after 3 year 36K miles, are almost spot on at 43-44%
    So..the G90 will no doubt be a very good buy, post lease, in 3 years like the Equus was

That puts a V8 ultimate in the low $30's

Warren

Riley2323 is online now Getting familiar with the group... What I drive: 2017 G90 Ultimate, Caspian Black
    I live in Connecticut
    Cars in my garage

I will owe, almost exactly $30K and small change after my lease. Will be interesting to see what my options are at the end of the lease.

I live in NYC/MD
    Cars in my garage

Members don't see this ad
    what are you talking about?
    The current A8 has been around for years
    Comparing a brand new car that was just released compared to one that has been on the market for years doesnt make sense

There are those who scoffed at the thought that anything from Genesis would ever outsell the traditional competition - no matter the circumstances.

In addition, it's not like the A8 was ever a big seller even when it was fresh.

The best sales yr for the A8 was in 2013 (6,300) - doubt that the new A8 will hit that mark as more and more buyers have been leaving for crossovers (in addition to there being more competition in the flagship sedan segment).

The 7 Series last year only did about half of the volume of its best sales year and in its 2nd year, it's already well off the sales pace it did in 2016.

I dont think they are throttling production in the least for the United States
    I just think there is not a great demand for them.
    As I had stated already a no. of times, Hyundai came to an agreement last year with the union to double output of the G90.

But they are probably being careful with supply to the US - which is fine as they are still working on filling the back-orders for the Korean market.

They are discounting them online already
    Everyone is discounting.

Can get a $16k discount on the 7 Series w/o even asking.

Its not really out doing what the Equus sales numbers were...and the lease residuals are almost the exact same
    Again, have to take into account more buyers having moved to crossovers and increased competition within the flagship segment (CT6, Conti, etc.).

It's not like BMW is seeing the sales it wants for the 7 Series.

And while the current S Class is by far the best seller within the flagship segment, it didn't approach the sales heights of its predecessor.

I dont think the market really compares the LS to the S class...do you?
    It makes the most sense to compare cars of like technology
    Why do keep trying to argue the same stuff over and over and over again?

Once again, the automotive industry categorizes both as flagship sedans and thus groups them together when it comes to sales stats and in comparison tests.

But when it comes to actually buyers - there is a difference (think G90 and LS buyers are closer than LS buyers and S Class buyers).

But there are still some buyers who can afford an S Class but don't want to spend that much on a car and/or don't want to deal with the increased hassle of owing a German auto.

As I stated before, there's a gap even btwn 7 Series and S Class buyers, so it's all relative.

There is a large gap in the current LS and the S class
    Gee, tell me something I haven't been saying the whole damn time.

Do you really think the average E class buyer is considering a G80?
    The technology gap is huge between those two cars
    Average - probably not.

But that doesn't mean that there isn't a segment of buyers who have considered the E Class with other options, including the G80.

And for most buyers in this segment, the G80 has more than enough tech.

Most buyers don't get fully-loaded models- esp. as the Germans really hit you on the options ( a loaded 4-banger 5 Series would run you north of $70k).

In fact the E class has several options and more customization than even a G90 does
    Who gives a rat's arse.

The % of buyers who opt for those options are tiny.

There are those buyers who eschew all the added tech, but an increasing # of buyers (those with children) want the basic suite of safety tech (blind spot monitoring, adaptive cruise control, autonomous collision prevention/braking, birds eye view camera).

Most of the rest of the stuff is superfluous and only a small % of buyers opt for them.

The Tesla S doesn't offer all the stuff that the E Class does nor does it have as luxurious of an interior.

The G90 is much more of a competitor to cars like the CT6 the new Volvo and Lincoln cars
    I drove the G90 and CT6 back to back one day
    Again, no one is disputing that the CT6 and LS are probably the closest competitors to the G90 (well, aside from you, who had argued that the LS was more in line with the Germans).

But as I stated before, domestic and import buyers tend to have their preference (unless there isn't an option) - which is why Cadillac is behind Lexus and BMW in conquest sales for the Genesis brand.

The Conti has the same domestic buyer thing going and in addition, it's FWD-based.

For those reasons and others, brands like Lincoln, Volvo, Acura, Audi and Infiniti make up a smaller portion of Genesis conquest sales than do Lexus, BMW, Cadillac and MB.

Geeze, the rest of the stuff (and even the stuff aforementioned) has already been covered ad nauseum.
    Last edited by YEH; 06-12-2017 at 07:17 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12