Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

genesis motors forum   genesis motors forums

Direct Links: Genesis Motors Brand | Genesis G70 | Genesis G80 | Genesis G90 | Genesis Sedan | Genesis Coupe | Equus
Genesis Forum: Maintenance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maintenance

machplus is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: Genesis G80
    I live in Ft Walton Beach
    Cars in my garage

Default Maintenance

Members don't see this ad
    Now that many of us have had our G80 for 6 months I want to know what you are doing about your first oil change. I only have 4100 miles on my car but don't know whether to drive it to 7500 miles before first oil change. What I am thinking of doing is paying for an oil change now with conventional oil and then at 7500 get my free oil change/rotation and put in synthetic oil. Does this make sense? (Also please confirm my G80 did not come with synthetic oil?)

Mark_888 is online now Registered Member What I drive: 1G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    Cars in my garage

Default Re: Maintenance

I don't have a G80 manual, but the same engine used in previous years (2012 - 2016 for both the V6 GDI and V8 GDI engines) did not specify synthetic oil, so it is probably safe to assume it did not have synthetic as factory fill.

Anyone who wants to keep their car for more than couple of years would be wise to use synthetic oil IMO. This is especially true if one does the oil change themselves, since the extra cost of the oil is negligible (at least at Walmart).

Some Hyundai dealers use a synthetic blend oil for all oil changes, which is at least better than conventional. Also, in many cases, one can bring your own oil when the dealer does the oil change.

kn5owa is offline Supporting Member What I drive: 2G Genesis 5.0 V8
    Cars in my garage

Change it now - go synthetic

I've use Mobil1 since '75 - no probs.
    Drives '06 Sonata LX V6
    2015 Genesis 5.0 V8
    Montecito Blue

pmcjr is offline Getting familiar with the group... What I drive: Genesis G80
    I live in Florida
    Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by machplus View Post
    Now that many of us have had our G80 for 6 months I want to know what you are doing about your first oil change. I only have 4100 miles on my car but don't know whether to drive it to 7500 miles before first oil change. What I am thinking of doing is paying for an oil change now with conventional oil and then at 7500 get my free oil change/rotation and put in synthetic oil. Does this make sense? (Also please confirm my G80 did not come with synthetic oil?)
    Like you, I am coming up on 6 months in June, but will only have about 3200 miles. Based on my driving routine and local climate, I intend on following the Severe driving maintenance schedule as recommended in the Manual. That is either 3750 miles or 6 months. Depending on who you ask, Genesis will or will not reimburse the dealer for the Severe 6 months schedule. My dealer believes they will. I haven't yet decided on synthetic or synthetic blend given this shortened interval. If it comes to it, I will pay for the shortened interval oil change if necessary. The car is worth it.
    2017 Genesis G80 3.8
    Casablanca White

Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by pmcjr View Post
    Like you, I am coming up on 6 months in June, but will only have about 3200 miles. Based on my driving routine and local climate, I intend on following the Severe driving maintenance schedule as recommended in the Manual. That is either 3750 miles or 6 months. Depending on who you ask, Genesis will or will not reimburse the dealer for the Severe 6 months schedule. My dealer believes they will. I haven't yet decided on synthetic or synthetic blend given this shortened interval. If it comes to it, I will pay for the shortened interval oil change if necessary. The car is worth it.
    Given a choice of 7500 miles with a good synthetic vs 3750 miles with a conventional oil, there is no comparison. The synthetic will blow the conventional away in every single measurement. It is not just oil longevity, but engine protection from the moment the oil changes is done, that justifies the synthetic.

dougmcp is offline Been here awhile... What I drive: 1G Genesis Sedan
    I live in Plumas Lake, CALIFORNIA
    Cars in my garage

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by machplus View Post
    Regardless of what you choose to do make sure it is documented for warranty purposes. My dealer uses dino oil with an upcharge for synthetic. Although I use synthetic oil for that warm fuzzy feeling, IMHO it is certainly not required for anything other than possible motor longevity. My 2003 Passat V6 has about 175,000 miles on it and my 2000 Expedition had about 140,000 miles before I sold it and never had anything but dino oil and neither vehicle had oil related issues.
    Think of this, at 4100 miles in 6 mos you will be driving 8200 miles per year and in 10 years your car will have 82,000 miles on it. If you plan to change your car within that time frame or shortly after, the type of oil and whether you change it on the severe cycle is nearly irrelevant.
    In my Genesis garage: 2013 Hyundai Genesis Sedan

Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by dougmcp View Post
    Regardless of what you choose to do make sure it is documented for warranty purposes. My dealer uses dino oil with an upcharge for synthetic. Although I use synthetic oil for that warm fuzzy feeling, IMHO it is certainly not required for anything other than possible motor longevity. My 2003 Passat V6 has about 175,000 miles on it and my 2000 Expedition had about 140,000 miles before I sold it and never had anything but dino oil and neither vehicle had oil related issues.
    Think of this, at 4100 miles in 6 mos you will be driving 8200 miles per year and in 10 years your car will have 82,000 miles on it. If you plan to change your car within that time frame or shortly after, the type of oil and whether you change it on the severe cycle is nearly irrelevant.
    That's interesting anecdotal information, but coming from someone who lives in a very moderate climate. If one lives where it freezes or gets very hot, demands on engine oil are more severe. For anyone with a turbo, synthetic is a must. Toyota and Honda now specify synthetic oil for all their engines. The only reason that Hyundai does not, is that they traditionally cater toward buyers are cheapskates.

The price of a 5-quart jug of Mobil 1 at Walmart is about $26 (not even subtracting the $12 mail-in rebate they offer every spring). The price of a 5-quart jug of conventional oil (which doesn't come from dinosaurs, BTW) is about $16. At that price differential, one would have to insane to not use synthetic, especially since even a slight increase in MPG that one will get with synthetic will usually pay for the extra cost. Obviously, a synthetic oil changed done at a shop is a lot more expensive because they like to rip people off.

dougmcp is offline Been here awhile... What I drive: 1G Genesis Sedan
    I live in Plumas Lake, CALIFORNIA
    Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_888 View Post
    That's interesting anecdotal information, but coming from someone who lives in a very moderate climate. If one lives where it freezes or gets very hot, demands on engine oil are more severe. For anyone with a turbo, synthetic is a must. Toyota and Honda now specify synthetic oil for all their engines. The only reason that Hyundai does not, is that they traditionally cater toward buyers are cheapskates.
    Thank you for your input. I spent my first 40 years in Canada where there are true weather extremes and have been driving turbo vehicles since 1993, all of them have had dino oil and none of them have had any issues.
    All oil comes from a mineral base (dino oil) stock which is then refined; the amount of refining is what classifies it as synthetic. Group lll and lV oils all have anti sludge additives to meet with nearly all manufacturer's specifications.
    Honda and Toyota may specify synthetic oil but GM specifies it only for Corvette and Cadillac motors but nothing else in their fleet; believing that Hyundai only specifies dino oil is because they cater to cheapskates is ludicrous and ill informed.
    In my Genesis garage: 2013 Hyundai Genesis Sedan

Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by dougmcp View Post
    Thank you for your input. I spent my first 40 years in Canada where there are true weather extremes and have been driving turbo vehicles since 1993, all of them have had dino oil and none of them have had any issues.
    All oil comes from a mineral base (dino oil) stock which is then refined; the amount of refining is what classifies it as synthetic. Group lll and lV oils all have anti sludge additives to meet with nearly all manufacturer's specifications.
    Honda and Toyota may specify synthetic oil but GM specifies it only for Corvette and Cadillac motors but nothing else in their fleet; believing that Hyundai only specifies dino oil is because they cater to cheapskates is ludicrous and ill informed.
    Here are the correct classifications of base stock used in motor oil:

• Group I - mineral oil (early refining technology no longer used for autos)
    • Group II -mineral oil (This is conventional oil sold today. Some call it dino oil, but it doesn't come from dinosaurs, so people who use that moniker are ill informed)
    • Group III - severely hydrocracked mineral oil (allowed to be called synthetic oil in the US due to infamous FTC ruling, but not in all countries accept that. The quality of Group III synthetics has improved over the years due to advances in refining, and can vary in quality depending on refiner.)
    • Group IV - synthetic (Polyalphaolefin [PAO] base stock that is chemically synthesized from ethylene.)
    • Group V - synthetic (any other type of oil other than mineral oils or PAO lubricants. Esters are the most famous synthetics in Group V, which are 100% Synthetic chemical compounds consisting of a carbonyl adjacent to an ether linkage.)

Most synthetics sold today in the USA are Group III. Some of the better ones are a combination of Groups III, IV, and V. A few are a commination of Group IV and V. Group V is not necessarily better than Group IV. Virtually all motor oils have various additional additives that comprise about 5-10% of the total ingredients that make it multi-viscosity or make other improvements to the oil.

GM, starting in model year 2011 in the USA, requires motor oil to meet the Dexos1 specification for almost all gasoline engines. Generally speaking, Dexos1 is a synthetic blend oil that is typically about 2/3 Group II, and 1/3 Group III or higher.

Starting in September 1, 2017, Dexos2 will be required for all new GM gasoline engines. Generally speaking, Dexos2 is a full synthetic (Group III or higher).

Almost all German gasoline vehicles require synthetic oil.

Again, the difference in price between a 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 at $26 (blend of Group III, IV, and V) is only $9.00 more than the cost of a 5 quart jug on Group II conventional oil at Walmart. The price difference between Mobil 1 and a synthetic blend (blend of Group II and III) is even less than $9.00.

So I will respectfully disagree about who is ill informed.

kn5owa is offline Supporting Member What I drive: 2G Genesis 5.0 V8
    Cars in my garage

Members don't see this ad
    Mark:

Mobil is currently hyping an "annual protection" oil.

Any views on that vs. the "EP" product - which I think you said you used?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast