Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

genesis motors forum   genesis motors forums

Direct Links: Genesis Motors Brand | Genesis G70 | Genesis G80 | Genesis G90 | Genesis Sedan | Genesis Coupe | Equus
Genesis Forum: grey, sooty motor oil ?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    acxiombill is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: 1G Genesis Sedan
    I live in phoenix, AZ
    Cars in my garage

Default grey, sooty motor oil ?

Members don't see this ad
    I've owned 59 cars to-date (the Genesis 3.8 sedan being the 59th) and I've never seen oil this color AFTER a dealer oil change. All of my previous cars (the BMW being the exception due to no dipstick) always showed a clean, clear amber color on the dipstick after a change. I've had dealer servicing on this car since new and change the oil at 4 to 5K mile intervals (there's 36K on it now). When I get it back after servicing, I always check the oil level (had a bad experience several cars back, so this is why). The new oil looks grey and not amber what so ever. Is this due to GDI or ???. I've been wiping the dipstick beer/after oil changes on a clean white paper towel and there seems to be little difference in the color, although the newer oil does look a bit clearer, but still a sooty gray. The dealership uses a synthetic blend oil but they will not bring a sample out for me to look at. Synthetic blends I've used in the past have been amber in color; are the new oils grey? Any thoughts on this? Thanks in advance.
    In my Genesis garage: -12 Hyundai Genesis Sedan 3.8

Cars in my garage

Default Re: grey, sooty motor oil ?

They did it (failed to change the oil) by accident or on purpose. Find a new dealer.
    '12 4.6 Platinum/Black
    Retired: '09 4.6 Tech Titanium/Black

I live in phoenix, AZ
    Cars in my garage

that was my theory - but to neglect to change it 7X times in a row? It's the same dirty gray every time. That oil would be sludge by now. It's not, as you can see some "clearness" through the oil on the dipstick, but when I wipe on a towel it's gray colored. I am puzzled over this. I'm thinking it's because of the Gas Direct Injection. I have ton's of soot around the exhaust tips on the back bumper. I have to clean the back bumper every week (one of the joys of pearl white paint). My guess is that these new engines are just dirtier overall.

Mark_888 is offline Registered Member What I drive: 1G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by acxiombill View Post
    that was my theory - but to neglect to change it 7X times in a row? It's the same dirty gray every time. That oil would be sludge by now. It's not, as you can see some "clearness" through the oil on the dipstick, but when I wipe on a towel it's gray colored. I am puzzled over this. I'm thinking it's because of the Gas Direct Injection. I have ton's of soot around the exhaust tips on the back bumper. I have to clean the back bumper every week (one of the joys of pearl white paint). My guess is that these new engines are just dirtier overall.
    As I mentioned above, you need to find out if the color is related to kind of oil the dealer uses. That is why you should take it to a new dealer next time. The record of the oil change will still be in the Hyundai computers accessible to all dealers.

If the oil is still grey, then you need to have an oil analysis done, or take it to the dealer and tell them you think there is a cracked block or bad gasket in your engine.

kn5owa is offline Supporting Member What I drive: 2G Genesis 5.0 V8
    Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
    They did it (failed to change the oil) by accident or on purpose. Find a new dealer.
    Better than the dealer on another post - they drained the old oil and put nothing in by way of replacement.
    Drives '06 Sonata LX V6
    2015 Genesis 5.0 V8
    Montecito Blue

Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by kn5owa View Post
    Better than the dealer on another post - they drained the old oil and put nothing in by way of replacement.
    You sure are picky.

Mandrake is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: No Genesis Yet!
    I live in MN
    Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by acxiombill View Post
    You might be onto something there. I know most direction injection engines tend to produce some puffs of smoke but most of these are turbocharged too. You can always get a wix oil analysis done. The test kit is $16 from O'Reilley's. You might have to special order it but once it comes, you fill the sample container with 2 oz of used oil. Then you mail that in and you get a PDF back with the results.

I live in phoenix, AZ
    Cars in my garage

Mandrake -- thanks for the tip. I will do that. As an FYI, I drive this car hard at times (previous cars included BMW's, Mustang GT's, Vette's, Turbo Supra, etc.) but it uses ZERO oil between changes, which occur between 4K and 5K mile intervals. The Stealership uses a Synthetic Blend and I "think" they mentioned it was Quaker State brand (but wouldn't swear to that). An Oil Analysis will tell me something.

pmckechnie is offline Registered Member What I drive: 2018 G80 Base
    I live in Matthews, NC
    Cars in my garage

acxiombill, this really doesn't have anything to do with your question about the gray oil. But I have had many many years of experience working on cars. When I first got my 2016 3.8 i took the car back to the dealer for it's first oil change at around 3K miles (it was free). When I got home, I saw the sticker under the hood that Hyundai recommends Quaker State oil. I called the dealer and ask what brand of oil they used. They said Quaker State, I said thanks and hung up. Before the end of that day, I had changed the oil again with Mobil1 and filter. Does that tell you what I think of QS oil?
    PaulM

2018 Genesis G80 Base

Cars in my garage

Members don't see this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by pmckechnie View Post
    acxiombill, this really doesn't have anything to do with your question about the gray oil. But I have had many many years of experience working on cars. When I first got my 2016 3.8 i took the car back to the dealer for it's first oil change at around 3K miles (it was free). When I got home, I saw the sticker under the hood that Hyundai recommends Quaker State oil. I called the dealer and ask what brand of oil they used. They said Quaker State, I said thanks and hung up. Before the end of that day, I had changed the oil again with Mobil1 and filter. Does that tell you what I think of QS oil?
    Hyundai has a world-wide agreement with Royal Dutch Shell regarding lubricants. Hyundai gets lubricants for factory fill at a discount price, and they agree to recommend Shell products to customers. I don't believe that USA dealers are legally required to be in agreement, although some may do that.

Shell does not market motor oil in the USA under the Shell name (except for Rotella truck oil). But Shell Oil Products US (SOPUS) owns Pennzoil and Quaker State brands in the USA. Pennzoil is considered the premium of the two brands, but since Hyundai normally sells vehicles to budget minded buyers that probably accounts for the reason Shell has asked them to recommend Quaker State motor oil in the USA, which usually sells for a few buck less than Pennzoil.

Quaker State full synthetic oil is "OK," but I wouldn't use any conventional oil in a car that I owned.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast