Registered members do not see this advertisement! Remove it by signing up for free.
genesis motors forum   genesis motors forums

Direct Links: Genesis Motors Brand | Genesis G70 | Genesis G80 | Genesis G90 | Genesis Sedan | Genesis Coupe | Equus
Genesis Forum: Coupe alignment issue...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Goose is offline Registered Member What I drive: 3.8 V6 Coupe
    I live in the cornfields of Ohio

Default Coupe alignment issue...

Members don't see this ad
    Compared to other performance cars I've owned, my Coupe's steering is less than impressive. The steering hasn't been awful, but I think I need to have the alignment checked.

My Coupe doesn't track too well on the highway - almost as if it's toe'd-out. The car requires constant minor corrections to stay on a straight line, and tends to be a bit more skittish than I think it's supposed to be. On-center feel is also pretty dull and the car is very susceptible to crosswinds.

Obviously, I have already confirmed that the tire inflations are correct. If I had to guess, I assume the factory spec on the Grand Touring setup (don't know if the track is different) calls for mild toe-in, if anything. I'll be curious if my local dealer even has alignment specs yet (since they don't seem to have much material related to the Genesis Coupe).

I'll keep you informed of what I find out...
    2010 Nordschleife Gray 3.8 Grand Touring Coupe

Fast01Rio is offline Registered Member What I drive: In His/Her Dreams (Doesn't own one yet)
    I live in Pocatello,Idaho

Default Re: Coupe alignment issue...

isn;t this car drive by wire???

"Drive by wire" refers to a car's throttle input. Most modern cars utilize drive by wire for greater fuel economy and emissions reduction, among other benefits.

I haven't checked, but the power steering pump might be electrically powered (as opposed to the more conventional belt-powered pump).

Fast01Rio is offline Registered Member What I drive: In His/Her Dreams (Doesn't own one yet)
    I live in Pocatello,Idaho

oh yeah i forgot, then it's steering by wire. if i remember the Can-Bus is on this car right?

There really isn't anything known as steering-by-wire on any production car - yet. You could say there is if you count the GM Hy-Wire concept car of a few years ago - but there's only one and it's worth several million dollars. I'm sure other companies have other similar concepts as well.

Unfortunately, my steering issue is plain old mechanical alignment. No amount of computer wizardry (ie Can-Bus) is going to correct it.

Here's a link to a video on the Hy-Wire concept from Top Gear. Cool stuff...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iiCrFp89hU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iiCrFp89hU[/ame]

Sounds like a simple alignment thing, maybe the dealer will do it for free but I wouldn't hold my breath on that one

I agree that it's an alignment issue. My local dealer has been sympathetic and is willing to do an alignment for free within the next few thousand miles.

An interesting part of this situation is that, after some checking by my local dealer, Hyundai USA doesn't have the alignment specs yet for the Coupe. My local dealer has been very helpful and will call me once they have the alignment specs from the Engineering department at Hyundai Korea.

All part of owning an all-new model I guess...

Factory alignments are always junk. They are inprecise and often horrible for performance.

One of the first things we always do with any new car we pick up is align it to a performance standard. It's amazing how a simple performance alignment can drastically change the handling characteristics of a car.

Members don't see this ad
    An update...

One week later and my dealer has not been able to get alignment specs to me; they're still waiting on the engineering dept in Korea to respond. I can't get things checked/corrected until the specs arrive. No help from the "customer service helpline" at Hyundai USA - the woman (sounded like I was calling India) had no clue and referred me back to my local dealer.

Poor support from Hyundai at this point. I'll be sure to keep you updated...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast