Registered members do not see this advertisement! Remove it by signing up for free.
genesis motors forum   genesis motors forums

Direct Links: Genesis Motors Brand | Genesis G70 | Genesis G80 | Genesis G90 | Genesis Sedan | Genesis Coupe | Equus
Genesis Forum: Engine Hesitation
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30
  1. #1
    Terry Wells is offline Registered Member What I drive: 3.8 V6 Sedan
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Age
    57
    Posts
    13
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Engine Hesitation

    Members don't see this ad
    Has anyone out there had problems with the engine hesitating? My Genesis seems to hesitate between 25-40mph as while I am driving in automatic. The car almost acts as if it wants me to shift gears manually. Also at the same speeds the car does not coast very well, it has a sort of drag feel that slow the car down, is this some type of safety feature?


  2. #2
    ctrcbob is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis 4.6 V8 Tau Sedan
    I live in Mount Dora FL; Penfield NY; Roswell NM
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,598
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: Engine Hesitation

    The "drag feel" is nothing more than the transmission being in, and STAYING in one of the lower gears. I'm sure your Aisin Transmission was designed that way. I know that my ZF Transmission does this.

    Most automatic transmissions always want to go to the highest gear it can find, when you are coasting or slowing down. (unlike a manual transmission which is in the gear you want, not the gear the automatic wants - this is why you have better control of a manual car than an automatic car).

    Can't answer about your hesitation.
    Bob CTRC
    USN Ret.

    Mount Dora, FL (It Could Be Worse)
    Penfield, NY (A Quiet Rochester Suburb)
    Roswell, NM (Alien Central)


    09 Genesis 4.6 Tech (Sold)
    10 SHO Ecoboost Twin Turbo
    11 MKZ

  3. #3
    Mark_888 is online now Registered Member What I drive: 1G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    10,696
    Rep Power
    18

    Default Re: Engine Hesitation

    No hesitation whatsoever at that speed with my V6. Slight hesitation when decelerating to a few MPH and then accelerating too rapidly right after that. Most of these problems are the result of lead-foot driving habits. The Genesis (even the V6) accelerates much faster than most people realize, so you need to learn how to work the throttle with a softer touch.

    This is by far the best transmission I have ever driven, which is no surprise since Aisin is 52% owned by Toyota and are used in some Lexus and Toyota vehicles (plus used by 35 auto manufacturers around the world with a market share of 16.4% of the global market for automatics).

  4. #4
    zoeldar is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: 3.8 V6 Sedan
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Engine Hesitation

    I've been lurking for awhile, now time to join in...my 3.6 has 37K in 13 months (massive highway commuting). Noticed some hesitation over several days...then I had a surprise while on the highway, stepped on the gas and nothing happened...slowed down and exited, and once on a sidestreet, the car would not exceed 20 mph...pulled over, debated...check engine light was on, nothing else. Decided to reboot - shutoff for 2 min, then restarted...light stayed on, but car ran okay. Dealer studied and concluded that E Traction Control and Throttle had dropped memory for whatever reason, reloaded the program, and all was well. For about two months...then I noticed some hesitation again...and last week the car again lost all throttle response. I stopped, turned it off, and then restarted, and it drove fine...engine even went out later on...brought into the dealer, and now they are replacing the whole throttle module. Beware, this may a more common issue...

    Z

  5. #5
    ilovemygenesis is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Connecticut
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    209
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: Engine Hesitation

    Quote Originally Posted by zoeldar View Post
    I've been lurking for awhile, now time to join in...my 3.6 has 37K in 13 months (massive highway commuting). Noticed some hesitation over several days...then I had a surprise while on the highway, stepped on the gas and nothing happened...slowed down and exited, and once on a sidestreet, the car would not exceed 20 mph...pulled over, debated...check engine light was on, nothing else. Decided to reboot - shutoff for 2 min, then restarted...light stayed on, but car ran okay. Dealer studied and concluded that E Traction Control and Throttle had dropped memory for whatever reason, reloaded the program, and all was well. For about two months...then I noticed some hesitation again...and last week the car again lost all throttle response. I stopped, turned it off, and then restarted, and it drove fine...engine even went out later on...brought into the dealer, and now they are replacing the whole throttle module. Beware, this may a more common issue...

    Z


    Thanks for the heads up, i put a lot of miles on my car as well and i experience the hesitation after only 8K. I will certainly look out for the warning signs you described.
    VIVA LA GENESIS!!!!!!
    2013 Genesis 3.8 Black on Black killer
    2009 Genesis 3.8 w/Tech Black on Black Rebadged hood, trunk, and steering wheel
    2002 Acura 3.5RL (My first love)

  6. #6
    TomT is offline Registered Member What I drive: 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in cresskill nj
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    25
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Engine Hesitation

    Zoeldar, I've experienced a similar situation. Have 33,000 miles after 11 months. Also long highway commute. Did the last repair fix the problem?

  7. #7
    zoeldar is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: 3.8 V6 Sedan
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Engine Hesitation

    Just got my 3.6 back; they replaced the whole throttle control module. Seems to be running fine now...will see if the problem is totally resolved over time. Part was on backorder (took 4 days)...hmmm, could be either a) this is a more common problem than Hyundai wants to let on...or b) they really stressed to insure it would be fixed. May never know...

    Z

  8. #8
    Mark_888 is online now Registered Member What I drive: 1G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    10,696
    Rep Power
    18

    Default Re: Engine Hesitation

    Quote Originally Posted by zoeldar View Post
    Just got my 3.6 back; they replaced the whole throttle control module. Seems to be running fine now...will see if the problem is totally resolved over time. Part was on backorder (took 4 days)...hmmm, could be either a) this is a more common problem than Hyundai wants to let on...or b) they really stressed to insure it would be fixed. May never know...

    Z
    How about "they needed to import the part from Korea."

    I don't think that HMA keeps every single part for the Genesis in stock in the USA.

  9. #9
    Sayantsi's Avatar
    Sayantsi is offline Registered Member What I drive: 3.8 V6 Sedan
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    804
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: Engine Hesitation

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_888 View Post
    How about "they needed to import the part from Korea."

    I don't think that HMA keeps every single part for the Genesis in stock in the USA.
    This would be my bet - keep us informed about the throttle now so we know if this worked.

  10. #10
    thomas.cena09 is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: In His/Her Dreams (Doesn't own one yet)
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Age
    29
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Engine Hesitation

    Members don't see this ad
    Its an often occurring problem for your car, which will cause problems for you. You get known with the solution of this problem which you can find in several manuals or on websites.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
MADISON ROSS MEDIA GROUP MARKETPLACE
Need products for your Hyundai Genesis? Check out your options at the links below: