Registered members do not see this advertisement! Remove it by signing up for free.
genesis motors forum   genesis motors forums

Direct Links: Genesis Motors Brand | Genesis G70 | Genesis G80 | Genesis G90 | Genesis Sedan | Genesis Coupe | Equus
Genesis Forum: Mercedes owns Hyundai!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sayantsi is offline Registered Member What I drive: 3.8 V6 Sedan

Exclamation Mercedes owns Hyundai!

Members don't see this ad
    Well, that's what I was told yesterday. I was speaking with a Sonata owner, complementing his car and asking if he's had any problems with it, and we got to talking about Hyundais. His Hyundai had 70k mi on it, not a single problem so far, but he locked the key inside his car and was waiting for Hyundai roadside assistance to come get him in.

At any rate, he mentioned that Mercedes owns a large chunk of Hyundai; that's why the Genesis is so good and why you don't see Hyundai badges all over it, in case you were wondering! Fwiw, Daimler sold its Hyundai shares in 2004.

Life's too short to drive boring cars.

ImInPA is offline Registered Member What I drive: In His/Her Dreams (Doesn't own one yet)

Default Re: Mercedes owns Hyundai!

I was not aware that Daimler-Benz owned part of Hyundais autombile manufacturing. I know they were invested in the Heavy Truck side of Hyundai for a while. Learn something new every day.

Dimitry is offline Registered Member What I drive: 2G Genesis 5.0 V8 Ultimate

A lot of car manufacturers own a portion of each other.

I think Daimler owns 10% of Hyundai (which is a pretty damn nice investment for them if you ask me) - which I wouldn't classify as a majority chunk.

sherrod is offline Registered Member What I drive: 4.6 V8 Tau Sedan
    I live in Nashville, TN

Given the way Hyundai is growing and Daimler is struggling, I won't be surprised if in a few years I hear Mercedes is owned by Hyundai.

Remember, in terms of profit, Hyundai is the largest car company in the world.
    2010 Genesis, V8, Tech package, Platinum with cashmere/black interior.

Mark_888 is online now Registered Member What I drive: 1G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitry View Post
    A lot of car manufacturers own a portion of each other.

I think Daimler owns 10% of Hyundai (which is a pretty damn nice investment for them if you ask me) - which I wouldn't classify as a majority chunk.
    The OP said that DaimlerChrysler (now Daimler) sold their 10% stake in Hyundai in 2004, and apparently DaimlerChrysler divested its interest in the Daimler-Hyundai Truck Corporation by selling its 10.5 percent stake in 2004 also.

ConceptVBS is offline Been here awhile... What I drive: In His/Her Dreams (Doesn't own one yet)
    I live in texas

That used to be the case but not anymore.

Hyundai is owned by no one, not even Mitsubishi.

ld_gen is offline Registered Member What I drive: 4.6 V8 Tau Sedan
    I live in Richardson, TX

Below is the latest list reported Mar 23, 2010 on Who owns Who in the automotives industry:

http://www.examiner.com/x-547-Sports...n-rss-National

regards,
    ld_gen

In this modern business world of international consolidation it is sometimes hard to keep track of who owns which car marque these days. Here is a complete list of the current car companies and their perspective owners. Click on the highlighted links to see car reviews and other stories pertaining to the cars.

BMW currently owns BMW, Mini, and Rolls Royce.

Bentley is currently owned by Volkswagen.

Daimler AG owns Mercedes-Benz, Maybach and Smart.

The Fiat Group now owns: Alfa Romeo, Ferrari, Fiat, Lancia and Maserati. They also own Chrysler and Dodge plus a 20% share in Jeep.

Ford Motor Company now owns Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Volvo and a 13.4% share of Mazda.

General Motors Corporation owns Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet and GMC. They also have a controlling interest in Daewoo whose cars are currently only available in Viet Nam and South Korea. GM also owns Opel and Vauxhall in Europe, and Holden in Australia. Pontiac is said to be discontinued for now.

Honda owns Honda, and their upmarket brand Acura.

Hyundai owns Hyundai and the fellow Korean marque, Kia.

Hummer is still owned by GM and they are considering offers to sell the brand.

Koenigsegg is a Swedish super car manufacturer.

Lotus is currently owned by Malaysian car company Proton.

Mazda owns 86.6% of itself with Ford owning the other 13.4%.

Mitsubishi is responsible for 100% of their own company, a rarity these days!

Pagani is an Italian car company who makes the Zonda supercar.

Peugot the French car maker also owns Citroen.

Porsche owns their own brand as well as a majority stake in Volkswagen.

French company Renault owns Nissan who also makes their upscale brand Infiniti.

Saab is now owned by the Dutch car company Spyker.

Saturn is owned by GM, but production has stopped and assets are being liquidated.

Suzuki took over Daewoo jointly with GM but now only uses their manufacturing facilities. They have now gone to engineering completely new cars rather than rebadging Daewoo's with cars like the new Suzuki Kizashi.

Tata Motors is an Indian car company who currently owns Jaguar and Land Rover.

Tesla is an American electric car company based in the Silicon Valley area of California.

Toyota Motor Company owns Lexus, Toyota, Scion, Daihatsu and Hino Motors, plus a share of Isuzu, and a majority stake in Subaru.

Volkswagen currently owns Audi, Volkswagen, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, SEAT and Skoda.

CanukV6 is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Beamsville Ontario

Well almost right.
    Porsche is actually a fully owned subsidary of Volkswagen, not the other way round. Porsche did try to take over VW but failed and the head of Porsche was canned for his efforts.
    Ford no longer owns Volvo, it was recently sold off to Geeley, a Chinese automaker!!
    Also Aston-Martin is now owned by a group of Middle-Eastern businessmen with LOTS of money!
    1st: 2009 3.8 V6, Cabernet/Cashmere, with Tech Package. Returned at Lease End. 119,750km (74,850 miles).
    2nd: 2012 3.8 V6, Twilight Blue Pearl/Cashmere, with Tech Package. Returned at Lease End. 105,000km (65,625 miles).
    Current: 2015 3.8 V6 HTRAC Casablanca White/Beige Two-Tone, with Luxury Package.

ld_gen is offline Registered Member What I drive: 4.6 V8 Tau Sedan
    I live in Richardson, TX

CanukV6,

Thanks for the most information. I've leaned a lots from this forum.

Regards,
    ld_gen

bradyb is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis 4.6 V8 Tau Sedan
    I live in Oceanside/Carlsbad

Members don't see this ad
    wow makes ya wonder what we'll see on the road in the years to com.......
    421 crank HP. Black Opal/Blk Leather, BORLA prototype CAT-Back dual exhaust, ARK Racing Lowering springs prototype, K/N Filter, restriction plate elimination, ESC-Kill, tint, and badged.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast