Registered members do not see this advertisement! Remove it by signing up for free.
genesis motors forum   genesis motors forums

Direct Links: Genesis Motors Brand | Genesis G70 | Genesis G80 | Genesis G90 | Genesis Sedan | Genesis Coupe | Equus
Genesis Forum: Difference between 17 & 14 speaker Lexicon system?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Gabe is offline Registered Member What I drive: 3.8 V6 Sedan

Default Difference between 17 & 14 speaker Lexicon system?

Members don't see this ad
    I was curious as to the difference between the 2 systems?

1. Does the wattage vary between the 2?

2. Where are the extra 3 speakers in the 17 speaker system?

3. How many amps do both systems use? Separate for the mids and highs? And 1 for the sub?

Thanks for the feback

MichaelOne is offline Registered Member What I drive: 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in FL

Default Re: Difference between 17 & 14 speaker Lexicon system?

Plenty of information here:

http://hyundai.lexicon.com/system.aspx

Gabe is offline Registered Member What I drive: 3.8 V6 Sedan

Thanks for the link that was helpful.

I noticed where the extra 3 speakers were placed in the 17 speaker system.

It said that the 11 channel amplifier was pushing around 500 watts of power but did not specify if that was the same output for both systems? Being the only difference the 3 extra speakers and a different amp?

Anybody else want to chime in after they look at the link provided above?

Mark_888 is online now Registered Member What I drive: 1G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan

The 17 speaker system is a discreet 7.1 surround sound system designed to handle native 5.1+ signals from a DVD or DVD-A. This is similar to what you would find in a home theater receiver.

The 14 speaker system is simulated 5.1 surround sound from stereo CD/MP3/iPod, etc sources (since it does not handle DVD sources).

Obviously, the 17 speaker system can also produce surround sound from stereo sources like the 14 speaker system.

DavidNJ is offline Registered Member What I drive: In His/Her Dreams (Doesn't own one yet)

the Hyundai Genesis’ power amplifier utilizes eleven channels with a total system amplification rating of over 500 watts. Nine channels are each capable of producing 40 watts from 20Hz to 20kHz with 10% THD (Total Harmonic Distortion). Two subwoofer channels are each capable of producing 80 watts with 10% THD.
    10% THD? They celebrating 4/20?

I wonder what the power levels are at usable distortion levels. It looks like there are two subwoofer channels but one subwoofer. What's that about?

BacktoHyundaibychoice is offline Registered Member What I drive: Equus Signature
    I live in Suburban Chicago

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNJ View Post
    10% THD? They celebrating 4/20?

I wonder what the power levels are at usable distortion levels. It looks like there are two subwoofer channels but one subwoofer. What's that about?
    The link that BayWayRic provided advertises 10% total harmonic distortion (THD), this is not an accurate representation of the architecture of the stereo system. I would be willing to bet this is assuming 10% total harmonic distortion (THD) when sound is being reproduced from a 2 channel source, to a 7.1 or 5.1 source. Obviously signal will be created from nothing, or even spliced away from something.

This is where the signal processing of the Lexicon technology outweighs Mark Levinson's. On the fly processing allows for minimal loss from original signals, while being able to truely reproduce the signal, especially in such closed quarters. In the eyes (and ears, lol) of an audio engineer) that makes it easy - closed quarters (e.g. a car). A home, a theatre, or studio, is entirely different.

Additionally, I was able to call a representative of mine who works for Harman International, who "off the record" informed me, while had no immediate white papers in front of him he was fairly certain the amplifier had been toned down, in terms of wattage, to provide as little distortion as possible.

It is also nice to note, the Mark Levinson system used in the current year model Lexus LS 460 is 19 speaker 450 watts 7.1 architecture. using the ML3-12 Amp. Notably similar to the Hyundai's amp, but with less power, older firmware, and different crossover topology

More here:
    http://www.genesisowners.com/hyundai...ead.php?p=5995

ImInPA is offline Registered Member What I drive: In His/Her Dreams (Doesn't own one yet)

I believe that both the 17 and 14 speaker systems both have the same wattage (528 ithink I read somewhere). The 17 speaker systems adds two midrange drivers in the front doors and either and additional tweeter or midrange in the dash center location. In addition, the 17 speaker system adds the ability to read and decode DVD's (14 speaker system is CD only) and the requisite lexicon sound processing magic that enables the processor to matrix out a surround sound image from two channel sources. Both systems are pretty excellent in my honest opinion.

DavidNJ is offline Registered Member What I drive: In His/Her Dreams (Doesn't own one yet)

What I was mentioning is that 10% THD isn't usable; you are looking for .1% or .01%. 528 watts? probably more like 100watts.

The compensation is made with high efficiency speakers. However, lower efficiency ones are often more accurate. All studio monitors are self powered.

Mark_888 is online now Registered Member What I drive: 1G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by BacktoHyundaibychoice View Post
    The link that BayWayRic provided advertises 10% total harmonic distortion (THD), this is not an accurate representation of the architecture of the stereo system. I would be willing to bet this is assuming 10% total harmonic distortion (THD) when sound is being reproduced from a 2 channel source, to a 7.1 or 5.1 source. Obviously signal will be created from nothing, or even spliced away from something.
    Probably has nothing to do with that. The 10% distortion level is at the advertised power rating and at the frequency range of 20 Hz to 20 kHz. At more realistic power levels and in the the frequency between 50 Hz and 15 kHz (where almost all the music is located) the THD is probably less than .5%.

ImInPA is offline Registered Member What I drive: In His/Her Dreams (Doesn't own one yet)

Members don't see this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by BacktoHyundaibychoice View Post

This is where the signal processing of the Lexicon technology outweighs Mark Levinson's. On the fly processing allows for minimal loss from original signals, while being able to truely reproduce the signal, especially in such closed quarters. In the eyes (and ears, lol) of an audio engineer) that makes it easy - closed quarters (e.g. a car). A home, a theatre, or studio, is entirely different.

Additionally, I was able to call a representative of mine who works for Harman International, who "off the record" informed me, while had no immediate white papers in front of him he was fairly certain the amplifier had been toned down, in terms of wattage, to provide as little distortion as possible.

It is also nice to note, the Mark Levinson system used in the current year model Lexus LS 460 is 19 speaker 450 watts 7.1 architecture. using the ML3-12 Amp. Notably similar to the Hyundai's amp, but with less power, older firmware, and different crossover topology

More here:
    http://www.genesisowners.com/hyundai...ead.php?p=5995
    Keep in mind that Mark Levinson is also a Harmon International company.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast