Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

genesis motors forum   genesis motors forums

Direct Links: Genesis Motors Brand | Genesis G70 | Genesis G80 | Genesis G90 | Genesis Sedan | Genesis Coupe | Equus
Genesis Forum: Oil Change DIY - 3.8 V6 Genesis Sedan
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mark_888 is offline Registered Member What I drive: 1G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    Cars in my garage

Default Re: Oil Change DIY - 3.8 V6 Genesis Sedan

Members don't see this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by decan9 View Post
    Guess it's too much to hope that it is a cartridge type, screw off/screwon....like my Elantra!!!
    It is a cartridge type on the Genesis, but cartridge does not mean screw off and screw on, it means unscrew the filter housing and replace the cartridge (and also replace the O-rings), and screw the housing back on.

decan9 is offline Getting familiar with the group... What I drive: Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    Cars in my garage

OH I see.....it is a replacement paper one like my sonata had on it....Thanks....more messier work that way!

Mark_888 is offline Registered Member What I drive: 1G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    Cars in my garage

OH I see.....it is a replacement paper one like my sonata had on it....Thanks....more messier work that way!
    I don't think the Genesis cartridge type where you just replace the filter element are necessarily messier, but the new location on the bottom of the engine (instead of on top for 2009-2011 V6) probably is messier.

decan9 is offline Getting familiar with the group... What I drive: Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    Cars in my garage

BUT...haven't found anyplace that sells them! I ordered a case at a time for my Sonata...now all gone!E

hobibill is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: 3.8 V6 Sedan
    Cars in my garage

Smile Re: Oil Change DIY - 3.8 V6 Genesis Sedan

BUT...haven't found anyplace that sells them! I ordered a case at a time for my Sonata...now all gone!E
    Six bucks a piece at your Hyundai dealership and you get exactly what the engineers spec for the engine.

wamba2000 is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Arizona
    Cars in my garage

I previously bought several WIX air and oil filters as my old Azera and current Santa Fe used the same fileters for oil changes from www.rockauto.com. I also got WIX cabin air filters for the4m and my 08 Elantra. Had to get the crush washers from the Hyundai dealer.

I doubt the 2012 models are in the auto parts database yet, wold be safest to get them from the dealer for the moment. If the fileter is on the bottom, it just got harder ( and messier) to do your own work without the right setup.
    2012 Platinum 3.8 V-6 w. Premium Pkg

QuantumRift is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in SE Arizona
    Cars in my garage

After considerable research and observation, I'm leaning to making my Genny's first oil change to be Green Earth Technologies 5-30 oil. I've used 'them all' in all my other vehicles - Mobil 1, Syntec, Royal Purple, Lucas...you name it...from plain dino oil to fully ester synthetics and semi-synthetics and so called 'synthetics' made from base stock oils and not man-made. I'm fairly impressed by the Green Earth Technology oil -

http://getg.com/

Safety Information:
    What if I get product on my skin?
    Rinse with water.

What if I get products in my eyes?
    Flush with clean water.

What happens if swallowed?
    Because GET products are totally safe and non-toxic, we do not recommend inducing vomiting.

What happens if I spill it on my garage floor?
    Call your dog to lick it up. (actually I added that one! )

Are GET Products Safe?
    GET products are totally safe for you, your family, around your pets and the environment. There are no adverse effects evident through swallowing, skin absorption, eye contact or inhalation.

I guess that after you change your oil, you can take your used oil and make gravy with it for Thanksgiving! Or sell it to local restaurants so they can cook french fries in it!

Actually I have 4 vehicles and will be 'converting' them to the GET oils as their oil changes come due, first with a '90 Oldzuzu pickup, then an 04 Envoy 5.3L.....just to see how it works, before I dive in with the Genny.
    "When he drives a new car off the lot, it appreciates in value."

2012 Genesis 3.8L V6, 333 HP
    Pearl White, Cashmere interior
    Premium & Tech packages
    K&N Air Filter
    Rebadged
    Xpel headlight protection
    NAV-TV VIM kit
    LED conversion of courtesy, glove box, trunk, and license plate lights

QuantumRift is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in SE Arizona
    Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by wamba2000 View Post
    ... I've worked in filling stations as a youth where cartridge type filters were very common ( I still have nightmares about the burns you would get changing oil on a '57 Chevy V-8, no way to avoid it). I have not gotten under the Genesis to see if there is a new filter setup, but I definitely can not find one from the top.
    LoL...me too. I didn't have my '67 327 Camaro very long (got it in 1976) when I replaced the messy cartridge thing with a spin-on adapter. Then I had a '67 and a '68 that took the same filters.

My first 4 oil changes are free (had the 3.8L sedan about 5 weeks now) but after that I'd be interested in finding out where the oil filter is...and getting a Chiltons or Haynes book on the thing.

Southern Boy is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in West Central Coast Florida
    Cars in my garage

Thanks for the "How TO" Good stuff.

For answers on this thread that discusses oil and filters pro & cons I would suggest that you go to this site for answers to many of the questions asked here.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

These guys on this site live and breathe lubricants and filtration. They do testing to come to the conclusions they post on the site. There’s a lot of knowledge here from people who just don’t except the manufactures claims for their products. I hope this will help answer some of the questions on this thread.

radicaltimes is offline Been here awhile... What I drive: 3.8 V6 Sedan
    Cars in my garage

Members don't see this ad
    To protect your warranty how is everyone documenting your oil changes?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast