Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

genesis motors forum   genesis motors forums

Direct Links: Genesis Motors Brand | Genesis G70 | Genesis G80 | Genesis G90 | Genesis Sedan | Genesis Coupe | Equus
Genesis Forum: Oil Change DIY - 3.8 V6 Genesis Sedan
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Mark_888 is offline Registered Member What I drive: 1G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    Cars in my garage

Default Re: Oil Change DIY - 3.8 V6 Genesis Sedan

Members don't see this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Boy View Post
    Thanks for the "How TO" Good stuff.

For answers on this thread that discusses oil and filters pro & cons I would suggest that you go to this site for answers to many of the questions asked here.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

These guys on this site live and breathe lubricants and filtration. They do testing to come to the conclusions they post on the site. There’s a lot of knowledge here from people who just don’t except the manufactures claims for their products. I hope this will help answer some of the questions on this thread.
    Given the wide variation of diametrically opposed opinions posted on the www.bobistheoilguy.com, I would not recommend members visit that site for advice (I previously spent quite a bit of time there). Although some people who give advice on that site have a fair amount knowledge about older engines and older oil technology, they have very little knowledge about newer technology that has changed quite a bit in the last 10-15 years. Much of what is posted is rumor or folklore which may have been true 20 years ago, or may have never been true.

Sayantsi is offline Been here awhile... What I drive: 3.8 V6 Sedan
    Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_888 View Post
    Given the wide variation of diametrically opposed opinions posted on the www.bobistheoilguy.com, I would not recommend members visit that site for advice (I previously spent quite a bit of time there). Although some people who give advice on that site have a fair amount knowledge about older engines and older oil technology, they have very little knowledge about newer technology that has changed quite a bit in the last 10-15 years. Much of what is posted is rumor or folklore which may have been true 20 years ago, or may have never been true.
    I agree - what started out as a small forum with a few educated folks has turned into a large forum with a lot of somewhat educated folks, and they can be the most dangerous type to take advice from! Still, its better than nothing...

Life's too short to drive boring cars.

Sayantsi is offline Been here awhile... What I drive: 3.8 V6 Sedan
    Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by radicaltimes View Post
    To protect your warranty how is everyone documenting your oil changes?
    Save the receipt from the filters and oil. These days you could take a digital pic of the old filter next to a newspaper too.

Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
    I agree - what started out as a small forum with a few educated folks has turned into a large forum with a lot of somewhat educated folks, and they can be the most dangerous type to take advice from! Still, its better than nothing...
    Plus, those people have no sense of humor. One guy was boasting about how many different brands/viscosities/types of oil he had tried in his car, and I responding that he was a whore who was putting his dipstick into every oil he saw. He compalined to the moderator, and I was locked-out for 24 hours. Most other members thought it was hilarious.

But come to think of it, not too many on this forum have a sense of humor either.

scottdk is offline Registered Member What I drive: 1G Genesis 4.6 V8 Tau Sedan
    I live in Minnesota
    Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_888 View Post
    Plus, those people have no sense of humor. One guy was boasting about how many different brands/viscosities/types of oil he had tried in his car, and I responding that he was a whore who was putting his dipstick into every oil he saw. He compalined to the moderator, and I was locked-out for 24 hours. Most other members thought it was hilarious.

But come to think of it, not too many on this forum have a sense of humor either.
    I think that's pretty funny, and also clever. I have tried my sense of humor, and it's hard to sense humor this over a forum, and also my humor is usually pretty dry. Some people are probably frieghtened by a few comments, not knowing I was joking too.
    MN Window Tinter

2009 4.6 with Tech package Black on Black 50,000 miles
    2012 Kia Optima SX 2.0 GDI-t
    2003 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean H6
    2006 Sonata LX 3.3L - Sold July 1, 2013

http://www.youtube.com/user/Scott1tothe7

2012 R Spec suspension conversion - Uniq rigid collars - Lip spoiler - R Spec wheels with wing emblems - KDM wing airbag - MagnaFlow setup - StopTech sport slotted rotors - StopTech stainless steel brake lines - PowerStop Carbon/Ceramic pads - painted grill - 245 45 19 Conti DW tires

Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by scottdk View Post
    I think that's pretty funny, and also clever. I have tried my sense of humor, and it's hard to sense humor this over a forum, and also my humor is usually pretty dry. Some people are probably frieghtened by a few comments, not knowing I was joking too.
    It was obvious I was joking, and got a bunch of LOL's responses from others before he even saw my post, but the guy was from Utah and pretty uptight about that sort of thing. I guess LDS Church members don't like to joke about sex.

upsbroke is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Kansas
    Cars in my garage

Default Re: Oil Change DIY - 2012 3.8 V6 Genesis Sedan

No pictures of the oil filter location on the '12's yet?

upsbroke is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Kansas
    Cars in my garage

I changed oil in my '12 3.8 today. Sure wish they'd left the filter up top. It took about 10 minutes to take the skidpan bolts out (10mm). Once I got it off-the oil filter was easy to spot but kind of hard to get loose. The cap is plastic but it fits into a metal housing. It really didn't seem to want to loosen or tighten easily-a real tight fit. Initially- even though I used a torque wrench-35 nm- it appeared to possibly be leaking, but now appears ok.
    I used Mobil 1 5w-30 that I picked up for $26 a case at Costco. That's about $4.40 compared to over $9.25 at Pepboys. I used a Hyundai filter which included cap seal AND crush washer. Cost was $8.25 which seemed high but the parts guy sold me an extra crush washer because he didn't know one was already included. I was kind of amazed that the oil was real black- but that just means it's doing it's job. It all worked out okay but would have been a whole lot easier job on a lift though.

STREETS is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Connecticut
    Cars in my garage

Plastic shroud must be removed to access the filter? Same as my CLK350 cabriolet.
    I love the filter up top- quick and EZ
    Owner Genesis 3.8 TECH White/Cashmere with Genesis Wing replacement inside-out, LEDs

Philth is offline Been here awhile... What I drive: Genesis/Equus In His/Her Dreams (Doesn't own one yet)
    Cars in my garage

Members don't see this ad
    So the '12 is in a different location eh? Nice. Is it still a cartridge like the previous years?

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast