Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

genesis motors forum   genesis motors forums

Direct Links: Genesis Motors Brand | Genesis G70 | Genesis G80 | Genesis G90 | Genesis Sedan | Genesis Coupe | Equus
Genesis Forum: Oil Change DIY - 3.8 V6 Genesis Sedan
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Philth is offline Been here awhile... What I drive: Genesis/Equus In His/Her Dreams (Doesn't own one yet)
    Cars in my garage

Default Re: Oil Change DIY - 3.8 V6 Genesis Sedan

Members don't see this ad
    Lol

Cars in my garage

Hi. I was reading this post hoping to find an answer as to why when you add the called for 5.5 qts. of oil the dipstick shows at least .5 qts. past the top mark on the dipstick. Saw this posted earlier in this thread but saw no responses. Any ideas? 2011 3.8 V6. I had it changed at a garage and now did it myself with the same results. Dealer service manager says he's never heard of the problem.

Mark_888 is offline Registered Member What I drive: 1G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by 49danlp View Post
    Hi. I was reading this post hoping to find an answer as to why when you add the called for 5.5 qts. of oil the dipstick shows at least .5 qts. past the top mark on the dipstick. Saw this posted earlier in this thread but saw no responses. Any ideas? 2011 3.8 V6. I had it changed at a garage and now did it myself with the same results. Dealer service manager says he's never heard of the problem.
    Yes. There are some old threads on this problem. Dealer service managers are either don't know (service techs don't tell them) or are just lying. I will give your service manager the benefit of the doubt and say it is number one (techs don't tell him). But it is real and I have done extensive testing of the problem, trying all kinds of different ways to check the dipstick level in an attempt to figure it out (with oil filler cap off vs on, right after engine shut down vs wait at least 5 min, etc). One theory about this is that the oil filter on top of engine drains into crankcase very quickly after shutdown, making it appear that the oil level is over-filled.

When I change my oil, I use an oil suction pump inside the dipstick and move the drain tube around inside the crankcase to make sure I get as much oil as possible. When I do a thorough job of that, then I can put in 5.5 quarts and have the oil at the full level (not above that). But when oil is drained from the bottom, adding 5.5 quarts will cause the oil level to be much higher than the full mark on the dipstick.

The factory fill on my car was well above the full mark on my dipstick, so it sounds like Hyundai engineers don't even know what is going on. Questions to Hyundai dealers and to HMA have fallen on deaf ears. This is why Hyundai will never be a Toyota or Honda. They just don't give a damn.

Cars in my garage

So, from reading your reply it sounds like there is oil left in the crankcase after draining. That was one possibility I pondered. Also that's VERY interesting that you say the car "as delivered" showed a high oil level. Can't say that I ever checked mine when I first got it but wish now that I had. Funny how such a seemingly low tech issue can not be explained by Hyundai. I guess the obvious solution is to add only 5 quarts in the future. Now I can use that Fumoto valve I installed to remove the phantom 1/2 quart. Thanks for the excellent reply.

Cars in my garage

Maybe this issue is the reason Hyundai moved the oil filter to the more normal orientation on the bottom of the motor. Then that half quart stays out of the crankcase and the confusion goes away. Just a thought.

Cars in my garage

Maybe this issue is the reason Hyundai moved the oil filter to the more normal orientation on the bottom of the motor. Then that half quart stays out of the crankcase and the confusion goes away. Just a thought.
    Possibly, or may have something to do with extra stuff needed for GDI, and they needed the space on top. I have not compared the old V6 with the V6 GDI to make a comment on that.

Cars in my garage

So, from reading your reply it sounds like there is oil left in the crankcase after draining. That was one possibility I pondered. Also that's VERY interesting that you say the car "as delivered" showed a high oil level. Can't say that I ever checked mine when I first got it but wish now that I had. Funny how such a seemingly low tech issue can not be explained by Hyundai. I guess the obvious solution is to add only 5 quarts in the future. Now I can use that Fumoto valve I installed to remove the phantom 1/2 quart. Thanks for the excellent reply.
    There is always oil left the crankcase after draining, especially when oil is drained through the drain plug (contrary to popular opinion). The question is: how much, and is that related to the discrepancy? No one seems to know if we are running 1/2 quart too high, just right, or 1/2 quart too low. As mentioned before, it could be that the extra oil in the crankcase when engine is shut off is needed to fill up the oil filter when engine is running.

HMA is too lazy or indifferent to ask someone in Korea for an explanation (I know because I contacted HMA).

Giant Robo is offline Been here awhile... What I drive: Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    Cars in my garage

Sayantsi

Now that is what I call a write up, well done mate!

bomberbill74 is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    Cars in my garage

Nice post and very helpful pics--I have a 2012 Sedan and the oil filter mounts under the engine on the right side (pass side) of the oil pan/drain plug. When I removed the oil filter cap the place where the large 'o' ring installed was obvious. Then I removed the filter and looked all over the engine filter mount and the filter and the cap but could not find where the small 'o' ring would install. I assembled the filter and installed it with the new large 'o' ring and saw no leaks. Not sure if the small 'o' ring is installed on the newer design(under engine mounting.
    Any ideas?

Philth is offline Been here awhile... What I drive: Genesis/Equus In His/Her Dreams (Doesn't own one yet)
    Cars in my garage

Members don't see this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by bomberbill74 View Post
    Nice post and very helpful pics--I have a 2012 Sedan and the oil filter mounts under the engine on the right side (pass side) of the oil pan/drain plug. When I removed the oil filter cap the place where the large 'o' ring installed was obvious. Then I removed the filter and looked all over the engine filter mount and the filter and the cap but could not find where the small 'o' ring would install. I assembled the filter and installed it with the new large 'o' ring and saw no leaks. Not sure if the small 'o' ring is installed on the newer design(under engine mounting.
    Any ideas?
    Small o-rings are for 2011 and older.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast