Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

genesis motors forum   genesis motors forums

Direct Links: Genesis Motors Brand | Genesis G70 | Genesis G80 | Genesis G90 | Genesis Sedan | Genesis Coupe | Equus
Genesis Forum: Oil Change DIY - 3.8 V6 Genesis Sedan
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    shahhere is offline Getting familiar with the group... What I drive: Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    Cars in my garage

Default Re: Oil Change DIY - 3.8 V6 Genesis Sedan

Members don't see this ad
    Are you guys using the Fumoto Valves on the Genesis Sedans?

I have a 2012 3.8 and am looking to install one one but am not sure if the long nipple type is going to fit fine under the engine cover or cause fitment issues:

Regular Nipple $26.64:
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Fumoto-F-106N-Engine-Drain-Valve/dp/B003T7XUE4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1389810998&sr=8-2&keywords=f-106"]Fumoto F-106N Engine Oil Drain Valve : Amazon.com : Automotive[/ame]

Without the Nipple $23.50:
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Fumoto-F-106-Engine-Drain-Valve/dp/B003OXUPOQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389810998&sr=8-1&keywords=f-106"]Fumoto F-106 Engine Oil Drain Valve : Amazon.com : Automotive[/ame]

I have been using these on my other cars and has helped a lot and have not caused any issues.

Shahhere
    2012 Genesis V6 with Technology Package.

Philth is offline Been here awhile... What I drive: Genesis/Equus In His/Her Dreams (Doesn't own one yet)
    Cars in my garage

I tried to install one but with the way the threads were started, the valve body ended up sticking down, lower than the oil pan. Could have presented a problem and cause significant damage to the oil pan, or be ripped off. Didn't chance it and returned it.

shahhere is offline Getting familiar with the group... What I drive: Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by Philth View Post
    I tried to install one but with the way the threads were started, the valve body ended up sticking down, lower than the oil pan. Could have presented a problem and cause significant damage to the oil pan, or be ripped off. Didn't chance it and returned it.
    Philth,

Thanks for the reply and is your car a 2012?

So for the 2012 what I understand is that we have a cover that goes underneath so that being the case we should be able to put the valve and even if it comes down an inch or so it should be fine as there are other components in the back that are lower. I doubt that it will be that much lower, the nipple that is. The Fumoto website actually also has a short nipple version so that might be a better compromise. The reason for the nipple is to have a tube connected to reduce the mess and the other reason is that you can stream the oil at a better angle if not using a tube.

Shahhere

Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by shahhere View Post
    Philth,

Thanks for the reply and is your car a 2012?

So for the 2012 what I understand is that we have a cover that goes underneath so that being the case we should be able to put the valve and even if it comes down an inch or so it should be fine as there are other components in the back that are lower. I doubt that it will be that much lower, the nipple that is. The Fumoto website actually also has a short nipple version so that might be a better compromise. The reason for the nipple is to have a tube connected to reduce the mess and the other reason is that you can stream the oil at a better angle if not using a tube.

Shahhere
    I did my first oil change this weekend and did end up using the fumoto valve. No real issues as it fit back up in the cutout and wasnt sticking out any more than usual. Could have even used the longer nipple won without issues.

Shahhere

Ambush is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Carolinas
    Cars in my garage

Default Re: 2012, 3.8 V6 Genesis Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by gray devil View Post
    Nice oil change write-up.

Does anyone know if the 2012 V6 takes the same oil filter?

On the 2012, the oil filter is not on the top, rear of the engine its underneath, at the front of the motor, on the passenger side. It will require removal of a skid plate underneath to change the filter.

Funny thing is there is still a hole in the skid plate for access to the drain plug. This is the skid plate which needs to be removed to access the oil filter. Unless you are changing oil and not replacing the filter the hole seems unnecessary unless you want to be able to check for leaks.
    REVIVE OLLLLLD THREAD
    I got sick of paying the dealership so I did my oil change today. How about there is no skid plate under my car!!
    Why? I got right under there and changed the oil FAST as heck. another thing, I put in 6 QUARTS by accident. Will I be ok?
    I will check the levels in a few minutes. I got the Mobil 1 5W30 EXTENDED life since I have 118k miles.
    Any advice would be great.

Thanks
    2012 Satin White 3.8 Sedan Pearl/Saddle: Premium
    Power Slot CDS Rotors
    In my Genesis garage: 2012 Hyundai Genesis

Mark_888 is online now Registered Member What I drive: 1G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ambush View Post
    REVIVE OLLLLLD THREAD
    I got sick of paying the dealership so I did my oil change today. How about there is no skid plate under my car!!
    Why? I got right under there and changed the oil FAST as heck. another thing, I put in 6 QUARTS by accident. Will I be ok?
    I will check the levels in a few minutes. I got the Mobil 1 5W30 EXTENDED life since I have 118k miles.
    Any advice would be great.

Thanks
    Not sure if you have Mobil 1 Extended Performance (which is good for an engine regardless of mileage), or Mobil 1 High Mileage (which they sometimes "claim" is for cars over 75K miles).

If you used Mobil 1 Extended Performance, you are good shape with a quality oil.

If you used Mobil 1 High Mileage (or any other brand "High Mileage" oil) then it may be a problem. High Mileage oil should not be used based on the number of miles on the engine, but based on whether the engine is using oil between changes. If your engine does not use oil between oil changes, then High Mileage is not good because it contains chemicals to swell the seals to help prevent excess usage or leaks. Once you start using High Mileage oil, the seals may be permanently changed and it could cause problems if you started using an oil that was not High Mileage oil (the engine may start leaking oil, even if it did not before).

Moral of the story: Never use a high mileage oil solely based on the number of miles on the engine. NEVER.

I live in Carolinas
    Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_888 View Post
    Not sure if you have Mobil 1 Extended Performance (which is good for an engine regardless of mileage), or Mobil 1 High Mileage (which they sometimes "claim" is for cars over 75K miles).

If you used Mobil 1 Extended Performance, you are good shape with a quality oil.

If you used Mobil 1 High Mileage (or any other brand "High Mileage" oil) then it may be a problem. High Mileage oil should not be used based on the number of miles on the engine, but based on whether the engine is using oil between changes. If your engine does not use oil between oil changes, then High Mileage is not good because it contains chemicals to swell the seals to help prevent excess usage or leaks. Once you start using High Mileage oil, the seals may be permanently changed and it could cause problems if you started using an oil that was not High Mileage oil (the engine may start leaking oil, even if it did not before).

Moral of the story: Never use a high mileage oil solely based on the number of miles on the engine. NEVER.
    Thanks for the reply. It is the Mobile 1 extended performance. YUP. i gave the incorrect viscosity, it is 10w30 not 5w30. I went by recommendations on the boards since it is hot (90+ here in the Carolinas). Again, the dip stick is showing a little over since I accidentally put in 6 quarts. I did however eliminate some of the car's vibration at idle but I would like for it to not feel like a HONDA that has over 100k miles and vibrating period.

Did I mention my shield under that bottom was missing? I think the stealer-ship did not put it back at ALL. What should I do? I cannot prove it 100%.

Mark_888 is online now Registered Member What I drive: 1G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ambush View Post
    Thanks for the reply. It is the Mobile 1 extended performance. YUP. i gave the incorrect viscosity, it is 10w30 not 5w30. I went by recommendations on the boards since it is hot (90+ here in the Carolinas).
    Not sure what boards you are talking about, but at next oil change I would switch to 5W-30. Both 5W-30 and 10W-30 have almost the same viscosity at normal operating temperatures, but 5W-30 is better for cold engine starting (where a significant percentage of engine wear takes place).

I live in Carolinas
    Cars in my garage

Members don't see this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_888 View Post
    Not sure what boards you are talking about, but at next oil change I would switch to 5W-30. Both 5W-30 and 10W-30 have almost the same viscosity at normal operating temperatures, but 5W-30 is better for cold engine starting (where a significant percentage of engine wear takes place).
    I just looked back at my recycling bin. It is 5W-30. SIGH. Im sorry about that.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678