Registered members do not see this advertisement! Remove it by signing up for free.
genesis motors forum   genesis motors forums

Direct Links: Genesis Motors Brand | Genesis G70 | Genesis G80 | Genesis G90 | Genesis Sedan | Genesis Coupe | Equus
Genesis Forum: Hyundai announces OnStar-like telematics system
    dataguy is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Los Angeles, CA area

Default Hyundai announces OnStar-like telematics system

Members don't see this ad
    http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/05/h...s-texting-you/

There's voice recognition, enabling the driver to search for POIs and the like without taking a single hand off the wheel. There's also remote start, which is handy on a cold morning, and even remote disabling of the car via text message, which is handy if you find nothing but an oil stain where you left your prized ride.
    2009 Genesis Sedan 3.8 (Tech)
    Titanium Grey/Black (Rebadged)
    <-- Track your Genesis MPG at Fuelly
    Best MPG: 29.0, Worst MPG: 18.8

BacktoHyundaibychoice is offline Registered Member What I drive: Equus Signature
    I live in Suburban Chicago

Default Re: Hyundai announces OnStar-like telematics system

Be sure to click on the press release (at the end of the linked piece) for a list of details.
    And I thought the DIS did marvelous things...

BacktoHyundaibychoice is offline Registered Member What I drive: Equus Signature
    I live in Suburban Chicago

Oh, and nice find Dataguy!

OBCT is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis/Equus In His/Her Dreams (Doesn't own one yet)
    I live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Though we all knew something like this had to be coming eventually, this is HUGE news for Hyundai. Competent-or-better implementation of this new telematics system, combined with a few more well-engineered options available under the hood in the future (ie. AWD, direct injection, 8-speed auto tranny, 5 liter engine, super-/turbo-charger, R-spec/sport package, hybrid, ZEV, etc) will make the Hyundai brand thoroughly compelling for a widening cross-section of car buyers.

I hope they hit this one out of the park... the potential is there.
    2009 Hyundai Genesis Sedan 4.6L V8 w/ Technology Package
    Platinum Metallic | Black
    [photos]

Re-badged trunk, wheel caps and steering wheel with KDM "Genesis" wings. Installed Diamond Cut IR window tint; fronts @ 63%, rears @ 50% VLT. Added Chrome Trim to pillars between side windows (6 piece) [.] Installed clear XPEL Protection Film on head & fog lights.

dataguy is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Los Angeles, CA area

Personally, I would prefer more smartphone integration like many of the other manufacturers are starting to do. I'd even settle for modern iPod control with Bluetooth audio streaming. But this does get some of the features (safety, remote start, remote diagnostics, stolen vehicle tracking) that make a lot of people I know go for OnStar.

Doesn't sound like it may make it into the 2nd gen Genesis initially, but perhaps it will.

ilovemygenesis is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Connecticut

Quote Originally Posted by dataguy View Post
    Personally, I would prefer more smartphone integration like many of the other manufacturers are starting to do. I'd even settle for modern iPod control with Bluetooth audio streaming. But this does get some of the features (safety, remote start, remote diagnostics, stolen vehicle tracking) that make a lot of people I know go for OnStar.

Doesn't sound like it may make it into the 2nd gen Genesis initially, but perhaps it will.
    Makes you wonder why more companies don't try to duplicate this service
    VIVA LA GENESIS!!!!!!
    2013 Genesis 3.8 Black on Black killer
    2009 Genesis 3.8 w/Tech Black on Black Rebadged hood, trunk, and steering wheel
    2002 Acura 3.5RL (My first love)

waveman is offline Registered Member What I drive: 4.6 V8 Tau Sedan
    I live in Alabama

Members don't see this ad
    This looks great, especially the guidance part, which will apparently incorporate traffic conditions in routing ("Daily Route Guidance with Traffic Condition"). I guess it makes sense to introduce on the Sonata first because it's their best seller.

I hope that Hyundai has put sufficient effort into making the web-enabled features like remote start and unlock very secure, though.