Registered members do not see this advertisement! Remove it by signing up for free.
genesis motors forum   genesis motors forums

Direct Links: Genesis Motors Brand | Genesis G70 | Genesis G80 | Genesis G90 | Genesis Sedan | Genesis Coupe | Equus
Genesis Forum: Warranty and Aftermarket Parts - FACTS
    RedTurbo is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: Genesis/Equus In His/Her Dreams (Doesn't own one yet)
    Cars in my garage

Exclamation Warranty and Aftermarket Parts - FACTS

Members don't see this ad
    Hi, first post here but after browsing through the forum looking for interesting info on the Coupe I had to start a thread on this.

Adding aftermarket parts to your car WILL NOT VOID your warranty.

As consumers, we have rights. Any dealership that voids your warranty, or even tries to, for having a K&N filter, headers, cold air intake, cat back exhaust or even a turbo upgrade is essentially breaking the law. Most of the time it only takes a little reminder of that for the dealership to honor the warranty you paid for.

They must prove your part caused the failure to begin with.

That said, if you rebuild your engine from the ground up with all new parts you shouldn't expect the warranty to cover it if you run too much boost and blow it to bits. They will obviously only cover their parts so if you're aftermarket headers you bought off Ebay rust to bits in a months time they will not cover that. (never buy Ebay products, they're garbage)

-----------------------

"The Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act was passed way back in 1975 to combat this exact subject, and ensure that you have the freedom to choose aftermarket parts and upgrades without having your warranty stripped or voided.

Dealerships and car companies are required to prove that any modification of the vehicle with aftermarket parts is the cause of the failure. In addition, even if the part in question caused the failure, does not mean a complete and ultimate void of the warranty, just in that particular case. For example if a turbo kit was installed that was proven to have caused engine damage, any other portion of the warranty, for example the radio or climate control malfunctioned, the warranty would still cover those items, exactly as they would if no modifications had been made.

This month the FTC (Federal Trade Commission) issued a Consumer Alert confirming that it is in fact illegal to void warranties or deny coverage for the use of an aftermarket part. See the FTC Website here. Excerpt of the Consumer Alert:

Will using ‘aftermarket’ parts void my warranty?
    No. An ‘aftermarket’ part is a part made by a company other than the vehicle manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer. Simply using an aftermarket part does not void your warranty. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void your warranty or deny coverage under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket part. Still, if it turns out that the aftermarket part was itself defective or wasn’t installed correctly, and it causes damage to another part that is covered under the warranty, the manufacturer or dealer has the right to deny coverage for that part and charge you for any repairs. The FTC says the manufacturer or dealer must show that the aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before denying warranty coverage.

The Consumer Alert was issued in response to a complaint filed by several of SEMA’s associations, dedicated to the automotive industry, enthusiasts, manufacturers and retailers who empower all of our passion for the automotive world."

Sourced from the Stillen blog:
    http://blog.stillen.com/2011/01/fede...ding-warranty/

Federal Trade Commission alert:
    http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/cons...ts/alt192.shtm

Poseidon is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: Genesis 3.8 V6 Coupe
    Cars in my garage

Default Re: Warranty and Aftermarket Parts - FACTS

@RedTurbo:

Thanks for the thread even though I realize it's a few years old. Just bought a new 2013 Gen Coupe R-Spec last friday. So I was doing extensive planning on mods I would like to do but because of the grey area regarding warranties I did not plan to do them any time soon until now

Mark_888 is online now Registered Member What I drive: 1G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon View Post
    @RedTurbo:

Thanks for the thread even though I realize it's a few years old. Just bought a new 2013 Genesis Coupe R-Spec last friday. So I was doing extensive planning on mods I would like to do but because of the grey area regarding warranties I did not plan to do them any time soon until now
    Keep in mind that the issue of after-market parts in the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act intended to deal with parts that met the OEM specs, and not necessarily parts or components that changed the way the OEM vehicle worked. So for example, a Fram air filter might be the equivalent to the OEM air filter, but a K&N oil-coated air filter might have different specs, and might cause warranty issues. Anything added to an engine that "improves" its performance, presumably has different specs than the OEM.

JCM is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: Genesis/Equus In His/Her Dreams (Doesn't own one yet)
    Cars in my garage

Just thought I'd clear this up for some of you. There is only one thing that will void your warranty and that is a stamped title. Other than that, you can only void parts of your warranty.

For example if you add an intake and you start to have problems with your mass air flow sensor it might be a problem to get it covered but that doesn't mean that when you have a wheel bearing go out that it would cause a problem for you.

Another Example, If you put the wrong trans fluid in your car and the transmission goes out you're going to be paying for it but that doesn't mean any other system is not going to be covered.

Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by JCM View Post
    Just thought I'd clear this up for some of you. There is only one thing that will void your warranty and that is a stamped title. Other than that, you can only void parts of your warranty.

For example if you add an intake and you start to have problems with your mass air flow sensor it might be a problem to get it covered but that doesn't mean that when you have a wheel bearing go out that it would cause a problem for you.

Another Example, If you put the wrong trans fluid in your car and the transmission goes out you're going to be paying for it but that doesn't mean any other system is not going to be covered.
    Yes, very true. But if you have a K&N air filter, then they might want to claim that affects most of the internal engine parts, since air is an essential component that get passed into the engine for combustion to take place.

brfatal is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis 5.0 V8 R-Spec Sedan
    I live in VA
    Cars in my garage

Quote Originally Posted by JCM View Post

Actually there are 3 things. Flood damage (doesn't necessarily give it a salvage title), salvage title, and altered odometers (since they cannot verify your actual mileage).

That being said, the OP neglected a few things. The Moss-Magnuson Warranty Act is NOT there to protect people with performance aftermarket parts. It was passed to protect people who were getting their warranties denied for not having all service complete at the dealership. Oil change at a mom-and-pop garage? Voided. You have non-Hyundai brake pads and your window regulator broke? Voided. Those the why the act was passed and who it was meant to protect. NOT performance enthusiasts. If your aftermarket part can in any possible way be linked to the failure, they have full rights deny coverage based on abuse or the car being run outside of its designed/intended parameters. Abuse is basically a trump card. At that point it would be up to you to debate in court and the burden of proof would be on you to proof that the part conclusively did not contribute to the problem, which is often not possible. And I don't really need to point out that dealership/manufacturer lawyers wear more expensive suits than yours would.
    2012 Hyundai R-Spec Sedan Black Noir Pearl
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX @ 430 whp
    2015 Subaru WRX

jr_garcia152 is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    Cars in my garage

If I put straight pipes on, would that void my warranty?

R-Spec 67 is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: 1G Genesis Coupe
    Cars in my garage

The manufacturer not the dealer is the only one that can void your manufacturer warranty. If you go to court it's the responsibility of the manufacturer not the consumer to prove 100% that the modification directly caused the failure and they better come with a lot of proof.

Just wanted to clear that up

Cars in my garage

Members don't see this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by R-Spec 67 View Post
    The manufacturer not the dealer is the only one that can void your manufacturer warranty. If you go to court it's the responsibility of the manufacturer not the consumer to prove 100% that the modification directly caused the failure and they better come with a lot of proof.

Just wanted to clear that up
    Almost all owners sign away their rights to go to court, and agree at time of vehicle sale to settle such matters via arbitration. Even if one can go to court (or choses arbitration) there are usually legal expenses that would deter most owners from pursuing legal remedies.

If an after-market part does not meet OEM specifications (within reason), and if that part "could have reasonably" caused a problem, then it is likely the owner will lose in arbitration.