Registered members do not see this advertisement! Remove it by signing up for free.
genesis motors forum   genesis motors forums

Direct Links: Genesis Motors Brand | Genesis G70 | Genesis G80 | Genesis G90 | Genesis Sedan | Genesis Coupe | Equus
Genesis Forum: Oil change
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oil change

Nomis is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan

Default Oil change

Members don't see this ad
    I have the 2012 genesis with a 3.8.

The manual says to change the oil and filter every 7500 miles.

I plan to keep this car for many years and want to get a couple hundred thousand miles out of the engine.

So I'm planning on taking it into a quick oil change garage every 3,500 miles.
    Anything wrong with this logic? Or I'm I just wasting money and time?

Thanks for your input

Philth is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis/Equus In His/Her Dreams (Doesn't own one yet)

Default Re: Oil change

7,500 is for normal driving. Look closer and you'll see a schedule for 3,750 mile changes under severe service.

Mark_888 is online now Registered Member What I drive: 1G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan

IMO, using a full synthetic at your first oil change interval (and thereafter every 7500 miles) would be better than changing the oil every 3,500 miles with conventional oil. But it wouldn't hurt to do synthetic oil changes every 5000 miles if you are more comfortable with that.

Also, don't expect you local oil change shop to have the correct filter (not a common filter). Either bring your own filter or have the dealer change the oil (but you will not be able to see if the dealer really uses synthetic even if you requested it).

PMCErnie is offline Registered Member What I drive: 1G Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Richmond, VA

Too many horror stories about Jiffy Lube, etc. Suggest you stick with your Hyundai dealer during the bumper to bumper warranty period. Establish a relationship. And yes, 3,750 is much too often unless you are pulling a trailer, driving in dust, or creeping along in inner-city traffic all day long.
    2012 Cabernet Red Pearl & Cashmere
    3.8 V-6 with Premium Pkg only

Mods/Accessories: Trunk wings, wheel cap wings, chrome side trim, illuminated door sills, mud guards, all-weather winter floor mats and trunk cargo mat. Llumar Air Blue 80 ceramic tint. Custom-made left foot rest/dead pedal.

- 2014 Santa Fe Sport 2.0T AWD (wife)

STREETS is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Connecticut

If you change your own- especially V6- jacking the drivers side up as high as possible will drain a significant amount more oil out from the drain hole. Also blow down the fill hole ( I am serious-) will get more out! If you let it drain flat- there will be 1/4 QT still in the motor.
    Just changed mine yesterday- let it go a little long- 9,000 miles on Pennzoil Ultimate Synthetic- my main choice- or Mobil 1 5W30
    Owner Genesis 3.8 TECH White/Cashmere with Genesis Wing replacement inside-out, LEDs

Vinnie is offline Hasn't posted much yet... What I drive: Genesis/Equus In His/Her Dreams (Doesn't own one yet)

Will suggest you stick with the recommended interval and use synthetic for the following reason beside what other Posters have suggested:
    1) Pulling into one of these oil-bays is an opportunity for error during the oil change (incorrect torque, plastic tab breakage, etc.). i.e. The fewest visit that afford your vehicle a reasonable level of maintenance should be desired. 2) The synthetic will provide an extra margin of protection if you have concern about the relative severity of your actual driving conditions compared to what the owner's manual recommend.

newman is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis 5.0 V8 R-Spec Sedan
    I live in Southern California

I have posted this before but as I really dig the product I am going to plug it again (and yes, pun was very much intended).

To make changing oil faster and easier, and to avoid stripping the threads on your oil pan, and to never have to worry about over torquing the oil plug, I recommend installing a Fumoto valve:

Link:
    http://www.qwikvalve.com/homec.php

Picture attached.

Cheers,
    Newman
    Attached Images Attached Images

Philth is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis/Equus In His/Her Dreams (Doesn't own one yet)

Quote Originally Posted by newman View Post
    I have posted this before but as I really dig the product I am going to plug it again (and yes, pun was very much intended).

To make changing oil faster and easier, and to avoid stripping the threads on your oil pan, and to never have to worry about over torquing the oil plug, I recommend installing a Fumoto valve:

Link:
    http://www.qwikvalve.com/homec.php

Picture attached.

Cheers,
    Newman
    I like it. Which model would you suggest? I see they have an "L" drain tube now.

newman is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis 5.0 V8 R-Spec Sedan
    I live in Southern California

Quote Originally Posted by Philth View Post
    I like it. Which model would you suggest? I see they have an "L" drain tube now.
    I use the standard straight model and it works perfectly for me.

Another benefit that I forgot - I you overfill a tad you can remove only what you need cleanly with no fuss.

Cheers
    Newman

CamarilloBrillo is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis 4.6 V8 Tau Sedan

Members don't see this ad
    I used a ball-valve on my riding lawn mower and it was the best ting I ever did. I'm not recommending that for a car but the idea of a valve is awesome but it can't vibrate open.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast