Registered members do not see this advertisement! Remove it by signing up for free.
genesis motors forum   genesis motors forums

Direct Links: Genesis Motors Brand | Genesis G70 | Genesis G80 | Genesis G90 | Genesis Sedan | Genesis Coupe | Equus
Genesis Forum: performance programmer
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    20124.6 is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis 5.0 V8 R-Spec Sedan
    I live in Superstition Mountain, Arizona

Default performance programmer

Members don't see this ad
    When will someone have a performance programer out for the R-spec. i had one for my charger daytona and they are awesome. it got rid of the ESC, change shift points, etc. to maximize performance. Diablo had a great one out for the charger and i would think someone would have one out soon.

OneFunGenesis is offline <- Runnin' on Empty What I drive: 1G Genesis 4.6 V8 Tau Sedan
    I live in Rochester, NY

Default Re: performance programmer

We should see if we can get enough people together and contact COBB Tuning and see if they can do something for us. There is a small problem however, that all of our ECU's will be different because of year, package, and engine. Not to mention the 4.6 is out the door for the future.

However, my friend has a WRX with a COBB Tuner on it. He gets 30MPG on cruises and like 12MPG and more boost when he wants it....
    2009 Genesis 4.6 Tech. Platinum Metallic on Black&Brown | How To DL Genesis Sedan FSM (PC Only)|A Concise Explanation of HID's and Angel Eyes (HID Sections are Useful)

Quote Originally Posted by staz View Post
    Thanks for all your responses regarding the RHF Antenna that I discovered under my Genny. Turns out my car was installed with teletrac at the dealership, and this is just the tracking antenna that the police use to locate the vehicle (kind of like Lo-Jack).
    Quote Originally Posted by OneFunGenesis View Post
    I would take it off, hook it up to a small battery and FedEx that bitch around the world

Capt Steve is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis 4.6 V8 Tau Sedan
    I live in Palm Beach, FL

The big problem is that there is not enough demand. It takes a lot of effort to reverse engineer the code. Hyundai has not released the code that I know of.

The other problem is that there are not that many R-Specs Genesis sold to begin with. The 5.0 GDI has only been out 2 years. Then assume that only a VERY small percent of those would ever give up the warranty to have a tune done. Remember that most Genesis owners are not going to race their car anyway.

So when you look at the numbers, there is really no good business case to spend that kind of effort for what, maybe 1 or 2 tunes per shop.

It is not like my Corvette where the code is open and a lot of owners have them tuned. That is why there are many shops that can tune the LS engines and transmissions.
    2012 Genesis 4.6 V8 - TWILIGHT BLUE PEARL

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Steve View Post
    The big problem is that there is not enough demand. It takes a lot of effort to reverse engineer the code. Hyundai has not released the code that I know of.

The other problem is that there are not that many R-Specs Genesis sold to begin with. The 5.0 GDI has only been out 2 years. Then assume that only a VERY small percent of those would ever give up the warranty to have a tune done. Remember that most Genesis owners are not going to race their car anyway.

So when you look at the numbers, there is really no good business case to spend that kind of effort for what, maybe 1 or 2 tunes per shop.

It is not like my Corvette where the code is open and a lot of owners have them tuned. That is why there are many shops that can tune the LS engines and transmissions.
    using a hand held programmer you back up the original tune on car. Then you download a pre set tune or do one yourself through the programmer. When you take it to the dealer you put the backup original tune back in and dealer has no idea you tuned it. Did that with my charger for 4 years everytime i took to dealer i took out the tune i did and put original back in car to stock settings.

Also i have seen programmers out there for Grand Marquis and other cars like that, so if they have one i am sure we will get one soon. I mean really who is not going to make one for a car with 430hp just give me one to disengage the esc and i will be happy.

Capt Steve is offline Registered Member What I drive: Genesis 4.6 V8 Tau Sedan
    I live in Palm Beach, FL

Quote Originally Posted by 20124.6 View Post
    using a hand held programmer you back up the original tune on car. Then you download a pre set tune or do one yourself through the programmer. When you take it to the dealer you put the backup original tune back in and dealer has no idea you tuned it. Did that with my charger for 4 years everytime i took to dealer i took out the tune i did and put original back in car to stock settings.
    We use to do this all the time. The problem is that the manufacturers got wise to this.

I don't know if Hyundai does this, but I know on the C6 Corvette, every time you upload a new tune, the check-sum gets changed and recorded in the ECM. If the Chevy dealer checks the check-sum and it does not match what is in their system, they will void the engine warranty.

GM started doing this on their diesel engines first because of the insane HP people were making with tunes and blowing up the engines and transmissions. Now all GM cars have this. If a car comes in with a blown engine or tranny, it is the first thing the regional rep checks before signing off on the engine replacement. So even a "friendly" dealer can't replace an engine or transmission under warranty that has been tuned.

We use to do this all the time. The problem is that the manufacturers got wise to this.

I don't know if Hyundai does this, but I know on the C6 Corvette, every time you upload a new tune, the check-sum gets changed and recorded in the ECM. If the Chevy dealer checks the check-sum and it does not match what is in their system, they will void the engine warranty.

GM started doing this on their diesel engines first because of the insane HP people were making with tunes and blowing up the engines and transmissions. Now all GM cars have this. If a car comes in with a blown engine or tranny, it is the first thing the regional rep checks before signing off on the engine replacement. So even a "friendly" dealer can't replace an engine or transmission under warranty that has been tuned.

not sure but i never had an issue and everyone on the Dodge forum did it with no issues at dealership.

maxmar04 is offline Registered Member What I drive: 3.8 V6 Sedan
    I live in Delray Beach, Florida

You're right. the Genesis does monitor if you tune/reflash it/restore back to stock. the computer in this thing practically records EVERYTHING. once they plug their computer in, everything that is not normal is flagged.
    '10 black 3.8 sedan
    rebadged with black wings
    debadged "genesis"
    completely redone sound system
    insulation throughout entire car
    20" lexani lx-20
    painted brake calipers
    15% tint and 50% windshield
    lowbeam/fog HIDs (as well as independent fog mod)
    blacked out tail lights and mirror side markers
    ChromeIntakes CAI
    COMPLETE blue LED conversion everywhere (including A/C vents)
    White license plate LED's
    Underbody LED's

soon to come > paint grill,murder (paint all chrome pieces black)

scottdk is offline Registered Member What I drive: 1G Genesis 4.6 V8 Tau Sedan
    I live in Minnesota

Quote Originally Posted by maxmar04 View Post
    You're right. the Genesis does monitor if you tune/reflash it/restore back to stock. the computer in this thing practically records EVERYTHING. once they plug their computer in, everything that is not normal is flagged.
    PINGGOLF (non-participating member for the forum) said that when he did the ESC mod found on this forum, that the computer stored data and the Hyundai tech discovered this info when in for a CEL.
    MN Window Tinter

2009 4.6 with Tech package Black on Black 50,000 miles
    2012 Kia Optima SX 2.0 GDI-t
    2003 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean H6
    2006 Sonata LX 3.3L - Sold July 1, 2013

http://www.youtube.com/user/Scott1tothe7

2012 R Spec suspension conversion - Uniq rigid collars - Lip spoiler - R Spec wheels with wing emblems - KDM wing airbag - MagnaFlow setup - StopTech sport slotted rotors - StopTech stainless steel brake lines - PowerStop Carbon/Ceramic pads - painted grill - 245 45 19 Conti DW tires

Members don't see this ad
    Don't know what to tell you did it with my dodge and others with chargers said that the dealership could not tell they had it programmed before. you are taking out the aftermarket program and setting car back to stock. Never once had an issue with the dealership.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast