Registered members do not see this advertisement! Remove it by signing up for free.
hyundai genesis sedan   hyundai genesis sedan

Go Back   Hyundai Genesis Forum > Hyundai Genesis Sedan Forums - 3.8 V6, 4.6 V8, 5.0 R-Spec V8 > Wheels, Tires, Brakes and Suspension Performance Modifications
Hyundai Genesis Forum Advertise Help us help you! Calendar Today's Posts

Notices

Wheels, Tires, Brakes and Suspension Performance Modifications Discussions regarding modifications and/or issues regarding lightweight wheels, sticky tires, suspension and braking systems of the Hyundai Genesis Sedan.

Hyundai Genesis Forum: Can you turn off the ESC?...YES WE CAN!!!!

Old 04-23-2009, 01:21 PM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
View CanukV6's Photo Album

CanukV6 is on a distinguished road
Talking Can you turn off the ESC?...YES WE CAN!!!!

Remove this ad
Does anybody know if there is a way of completely turning off the Electronic Stability Control? I know there is a switch to the left of the steering wheel, but it just changes how quickly the ESC gets involved, it still won't let you tail slide the car under power . I was at a track recently instructing at a driving school and while the students were in the classroom I took the Genesis out for a few laps. Even with the ESC switched off I couldn't invoke any oversteer as the electronics kept interferring.

Old 04-23-2009, 01:38 PM
Drives a Hyundai 4.6 V8 Tau Sedan
View wallymn's Photo Album

wallymn is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Can you turn off the ESC?

like Lexus, No ECS FULL disable.

I admit it kicks in way too early, wondering how long my rear brakes will last.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:15 PM
Drives a Hyundai In His/Her Dreams (Doesn't own one yet)
View need4speed's Photo Album

need4speed is on a distinguished road

I believe you can't shut off the esc on the sedan. It just has a switch for sportier driving. In this case what you need to do is re program the ecu to disable it completely. Its funny cuz on the coupe esc is either on or off no mid point like in the sedan. But the sedan to my knowledge has mid and full with no off. Just remember though that the sedan was not built as a sports car. Only a sporty mode on the v8 to make it a Lil more fun to drive. If you are gonna track run it. You might want to consider a couple of small engine mods and improve your suspension and tire set up.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:59 PM

I have no intention of tracking my Genesis, I just wanted to see how it handled on the track. It was very good with surprisingly little understeer and good stability through fast and slow bends with very little tire squeal. In slower bends I could have been much faster if I had been able to get the back end to slide a bit, but the ESC just doesn't allow this. After a few laps I pulled into the pits and you could definitely smell the rear brakes.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:59 PM
Drives a Hyundai
View PINGGOLF's Photo Album

PINGGOLF is on a distinguished road

WORKING ON IT!!!

Just got an inside number from the THINK TANK and talked to a lady who will be hooking me up with engineering within the next 5-7 days. Ill keep you posted!!!!

They said they have had TONS of calls about this!!!!
Old 05-04-2009, 01:07 PM
View QCTLG's Photo Album

QCTLG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINGGOLF View Post
WORKING ON IT!!!

Just got an inside number from the THINK TANK and talked to a lady who will be hooking me up with engineering within the next 5-7 days. Ill keep you posted!!!!

PINGGOLF,

Thanks soo much for sharing...please keep us posted...I want that thing OFF when I turn it OFF!

Also, I'd like for the DVD to WORK when the car is in motion...especially for DVD-A's. I can understand for movies but please!

Thanks
Old 05-04-2009, 01:57 PM
View warp08's Photo Album

warp08 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCTLG View Post
PINGGOLF,

Also, I'd like for the DVD to WORK when the car is in motion...especially for DVD-A's. I can understand for movies but please!

Thanks
The DVD audio portion does work when the car is in motion, but the video is restricted for legal and safety reasons. It is unlikely that Hyundai and any other manufacturer would change that due to liability issues. There is a third party plug-in product capable of overriding this restriction but it is somewhat costly and its operation may not be legal in your jurisdiction anyway, because watching motion pictures while driving a motor vehicle is prohibited on video screens that are in view of the driver....or so the lawyers say.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:36 AM
Drives a Hyundai

Warp...You ARE correct. It IS against the law. But...it will only be a matter of time before somebody grows big enough KAHUNAS to clip a wire...HA! It wont be me though. Surely Hyundai will come out with a media system for the back seats that plugs into the main before too long. My little girl will be here any minute!
Old 05-05-2009, 09:47 AM

Quote:
WORKING ON IT!!!
Just got an inside number from the THINK TANK and talked to a lady who will be hooking me up with engineering within the next 5-7 days. Ill keep you posted!!!! They said they have had TONS of calls about this!!!!
Keeping my fingers crossed
On some cars you can disable the ESC completely by holding the 'off' button for a few seconds (eg. Corvette), but no such luck with my Genesis.

Beyond the "fun" factor, I believe there is also a safety issue. In wintertime at slippery intersections the ESC can actually work against you because it intervenes so rapidly. There were a couple of times this past winter when I pulled out into a (normally acceptable) gap in traffic only to have a rear wheel spin on a small icy patch which put the whole ESC into full 'reduce power' mode, resulting in a potentially dangerous situation. From those experiences I learnt to make sure I had plenty of room if the surfaces were slippery. Even with the ESC switched off it still interferred with the getaway.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:28 AM
View warp08's Photo Album

warp08 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Warp...You ARE correct. It IS against the law. But...it will only be a matter of time before somebody grows big enough KAHUNAS to clip a wire...HA! It wont be me though. Surely Hyundai will come out with a media system for the back seats that plugs into the main before too long. My little girl will be here any minute!
Back seat stuff...sure. I'm almost positive it will be an option for the EQUUS, if not for the Genesis.

The driver stuff is another matter. It's more complex than just clipping a wire. Check out the NavTV offering for the Genesis. Because the head-unit is also plugged into the fiber bus system that's connecting all major electronic units in the vehicle, the bypass logic is also more complex. The NavTV unit, btw, is also USB-updatable hopefully to make it compatible for future software upgrades...or so the story goes . All this complexity sure increases the price though, but the unit works as advertised. So, if you really need it, go for it...
Old 05-05-2009, 11:32 PM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 4.6 V8 Tau Sedan
View knight's Photo Album

knight is on a distinguished road

Quote:
My little girl will be here any minute!
If this means you are expecting a new member of the family - CONGRATULATIONS and good luck with the delivery!
Old 05-06-2009, 10:38 AM
Drives a Hyundai

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight View Post
If this means you are expecting a new member of the family - CONGRATULATIONS and good luck with the delivery!
Thank you! First one....well, besides our Mini Schnauzer! The due date is May 16th but our appt. on Monday made the doctor think sometime this week! So, I am just sitting here at work waiting to push the FMLA button for a month! HA! Thanks again!
Old 05-22-2009, 12:19 AM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 5.0 V8 R-Spec Sedan
View daviderle's Photo Album

daviderle is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: Can you turn off the ESC?

Quote:
WORKING ON IT!!!

While having lunch today, I started thinking about an infamous Genesis video made by some owner who shall remain nameless.

So I picked the manual and started wondering, how difficult can this be? I know with all wizardry we have with this vehicle it should not be possible!? Right? Hmmm

So I got to page (7-X on my 4.6 or) 7-51 & 53 of owner’s manual PDF document (Engine compartment main fuse panel & Engine compartment sub fuse panel), and started theorizing as to what happens if a certain 10A & 40A on the 4.6 (the manual does not match the box - ESP) fuses should blow up for any reason!? ... (3.8 owners - your mileage may vary!)

In the interest of science, I neither confirm nor deny what happened this evening in the parking lot after most people went home...

Let us put this way I think I missed my black TrasAM WS6 about twice since November! It is unlikely that would happen again ...…not to mention the Geni Coupe? Yeah, whatever!

So I am (theorizing again) it would be interesting idea to do some neat wiring with a fuse harness that connects to a big red switch that may be placed on top of the current switch nicely labeled: ESO - Extended Stupidity Override - … Will post more details once further research has been completed..

Remember this is all theory!!! And the old proverb “curiosity killed the cat”….

BTW Congratulations PINGGOLF on the great news and hope everything goes well….

Last edited by daviderle; 05-22-2009 at 01:37 AM.
Old 05-23-2009, 04:10 PM
Drives a Hyundai

Remove this ad
Well...what happened in the parking lot when everyone left...

what video are you talking about...

what do you have up your sleeve??? ...anxiously AWAITING MORE!
Old 05-24-2009, 10:58 PM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 5.0 V8 R-Spec Sedan
View daviderle's Photo Album

daviderle is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: Can you turn off the ESC?

Quote:
Well...what happened in the parking lot when everyone left...

what video are you talking about...

what do you have up your sleeve??? ...anxiously AWAITING MORE!
Donuts, Donuts and 25+ feet of uninterrupted burnout (when I amost ran out of parking lot)

When I was reading the ESC thread, I was thinking of this video ;

http://genesisowners.com/hyundai-gen...ils&videoid=15

I just need to verify and repeat my tests as I had to travel the following day. I am hoping to make more progress next weekend when I get back home. Hopefully I can get some pictures or better still get some videos done.

To make a long story short, I think I found a very workable method that manually or on demand disable ESC/ESP completely!

However, thinking about it , I am not sure if everyone (including Sal) would be happy for me to share as this mod will adversely affect the overall stability/safety of the Vehicle! Just let me know if it is o.k.? (and if so, should I use any legal jargon?)

Last edited by daviderle; 05-25-2009 at 12:35 AM.