Registered members do not see this advertisement! Remove it by signing up for free.
hyundai genesis sedan   hyundai genesis sedan

Go Back   Hyundai Genesis Forum > Hyundai Genesis Coupe Forums - 2.0T and 3.8 V6 > General 2009-2014 Genesis Coupe Discussion
Hyundai Genesis Forum Advertise Help us help you! Calendar Today's Posts

Notices

General 2009-2014 Genesis Coupe Discussion Forum for discussions specifically regarding the Hyundai Genesis Coupe that don't fit anywhere else.

Hyundai Genesis Forum: Genesis Coupe Track in Winter?

Old 12-09-2009, 01:52 PM
Drives a Hyundai 3.8 V6 Coupe
View Immy's Photo Album

Immy is on a distinguished road
Default Genesis Coupe Track in Winter?

Remove this ad
Hey everyone,

Am new to the forum and looking to buy a GC Track (GT in Canada) within the next few months. The one thing I am a bit concerned about is the suspension and torque on the Track version, and how it will perform in the snow. The salesman at the dealership said it should be fine once I put on snow tires. I drive a RWD with Traction Control right now so that's not much of an issue, but I was wondering if anyone has tested their car in snowy conditions yet? If so, how did it do?

Thanks!

Old 12-09-2009, 02:00 PM
Drives a Hyundai 2.0T Turbo Coupe
View Franknspeed's Photo Album

Franknspeed is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Genesis Coupe Track in Winter?

I'm in Michigan, so this morning the first drive in snow/slush. With the stock tires the grip is not very good, but i got to work without problems. ESC came on only a couple of times, traffic was crawling anyways. The only problem with the traction control is that when it clamps down, it stays on too long and too hard. Which almost stalls the car , which is not good if you are in the process of pulling out of a sidestreet. Once you are rolling its doing ok.
Snow tires problably resolve that.
Mine is a 2.0T premium w M/T.

update: today we had 4" snow on ice. Got to work ok , even with some roads not being cleared. ESC and traction control came on every now and then, but not too bad. Biggest issue is stopping, to be expected in those conditions. So far so good I'd say.

Frank

Last edited by Franknspeed; 12-10-2009 at 01:00 PM. Reason: update
Old 12-09-2009, 02:47 PM
View shailoche's Photo Album

shailoche is on a distinguished road

For what it is worth...

I'm in Austin, TX and we have had some "snowy" conditions lately, nothing near what you would see in Michigan or Canada, but on the icy roads the car handles fine. It will slip a bit when you take off but the ESC and traction control kick-in immediately and stop the wheel spin.

My experience is limited but what I have done is started the vehicle in 2nd gear (I have manual transmission) and that seems to prevent any unwanted wheel spin.

Keep in mind I'm in Texas and icy wet roads here are not equivalent to snowbound roads up north.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:26 PM
View Immy's Photo Album

Thanks guys! ... good to hear that it seems to be able to hold its own in the snow. Good idea with starting off in 2nd to avoid wheelspin.

Is there anyone that has the 3.8 Track that has tested it in winter? I'm curious to know how the stiffer suspension performs.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:53 PM
View Franknspeed's Photo Album

Franknspeed is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Genesis Coupe Track in Winter?

Did some playing in the snow yesterday to see what impact the ESC has.
Speeds around 30mph to keep is safe. In short, ESC keeps you in check.
Even if provoking the car in a turn by jerking the steering wheel or tapping the gas the car kicks the tail just a bit and then clamps down. Couldn't get it to spin or slide much, it just won't allow it. Of course its not saving you if you are driving like an idiot, but it watches out for you quite a bit.
I must say, even with the stock tires its doing very well in snow, i was impressed.
Now with ESC turned off you're all over the place....
Old 12-19-2009, 05:33 PM
View David Dunn's Photo Album

David Dunn is on a distinguished road

I live in Southern Vermont and have now driven my coupe (purchased in September) in some serious snow - up, down and around some local ski mountains - Mt. Snow and Stratton. I purchased smaller rims and Blizzaks from TireRack and had them installed by my local shop. Smaller rims lets physics work for you - heavier load over a smaller area. A bit of experience is all you will need to get used to the rear wheel drive effect - once that happens, it is no different than any other car on the road.

I drove the car in about 3" of snow on a two lane mountain road with a 50MPH limit. The traction control light came on several times and I just relaxed my foot on the gas and everything was fine. No joke, I passed multiple SUV's that got stuck because their owners slowed down so much they lost traction. One unfortunate person in a Ford Explorer actually hit the snowplow. Multiple cars were stuck because they lost traction by going too slow!

Be careful, avoid stupid - you and them.
Old 12-22-2009, 03:19 PM
View Immy's Photo Album

Thanks guys ...

David, what size rims/tires did you get for winter?
Old 12-30-2009, 11:26 AM
View anurbas's Photo Album

anurbas is on a distinguished road

I purchased after market rims as well. I went with 19" TSW Croft rims. Purchased some discontinued Blizzak LM 25. I have to agree with Dunn. I live in Pittsburgh and 2 weeks ago we had about 5" of snow. I had zero problems. The traction control kicked in only a few times. I was passing SUV's, but these folks were still driving. I live up on a hill and got up that without any issues either.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:50 PM
Drives a Hyundai In His/Her Dreams (Doesn't own one yet)
View wild willy's Photo Album

wild willy is on a distinguished road

Shiit....The Burgh is all hills!!
Old 12-31-2009, 10:33 AM
View anurbas's Photo Album

anurbas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild willy View Post
Shiit....The Burgh is all hills!!
You got that right.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:38 PM
View GenesisRZ's Photo Album

GenesisRZ is on a distinguished road

I got my car up Negley Street in Pittsburgh (one of the steepest hills in the city) with an inch of snow on the ground in 2nd gear. This is with my Blizzacks.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:16 AM
View Xoxo's Photo Album

Xoxo is on a distinguished road

I'm doing well with Blizzaks here in Ohio, as long as the snow isn't so deep I end up plowing the road!
Old 02-03-2010, 05:49 PM
View AlaskaGenesis Coupe's Photo Album

AlaskaGenesis Coupe is on a distinguished road

I bought my 2.0T coupe about three weeks ago. I commute to work in it, 110 miles round trip from Wasilla Alaska to Anchorage AK. I have the premium package, so not the 19's with summer only tires, but my car does fantastic on any of the crazy winter surfaces up here.