Registered members do not see this advertisement! Remove it by signing up for free.
hyundai genesis sedan   hyundai genesis sedan

Go Back   Hyundai Genesis Forum > Hyundai Genesis Sedan Forums - 3.8 V6, 4.6 V8, 5.0 R-Spec V8 > General 2009-2014 Hyundai Genesis Sedan Discussion
Hyundai Genesis Forum Advertise Help us help you! Calendar Today's Posts

Notices

General 2009-2014 Hyundai Genesis Sedan Discussion Forum for discussions regarding the Hyundai Genesis Sedan that don't fit specifically anywhere else.

Hyundai Genesis Forum: Adaptive Cruise Control is the Best feature on 2010

Old 03-15-2010, 08:15 AM
Drives a Hyundai 4.6 V8 Tau Sedan
View 2ez24get's Photo Album

2ez24get is on a distinguished road
Cool Adaptive Cruise Control is the Best feature on 2010

Remove this ad
I have had a chance to drive the our 2010 4.6 to and from work. I drive 60 miles a day. I used the adaptive cruise control and set it to the shortest distance then sat back and enjoyed the commute. The cruise disengages at 5mph. I accelerate above 10 mph and just hit resume and I am back up and running. Only thing to remember is the cruise will not stop as fast as you can make the car stop. So the cruise cannot make emergency stops. Still love the feature.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:30 AM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
View dg_moore's Photo Album

dg_moore is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Adaptive Cruise Control is the Best feature on 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ez24get View Post
I have had a chance to drive the our 2010 4.6 to and from work. I drive 60 miles a day. I used the adaptive cruise control and set it to the shortest distance then sat back and enjoyed the commute. The cruise disengages at 5mph. I accelerate above 10 mph and just hit resume and I am back up and running. Only thing to remember is the cruise will not stop as fast as you can make the car stop. So the cruise cannot make emergency stops. Still love the feature.
My daily commute is only a few miles, so I have no need for cruise control then. However, every couple of weeks I have to drive to another work location, 120 mile round trip. This is from Maryland to northern Virginia and back. Because of traffic the average speed is usually about 15-20 MPH, so, once again, no need for cruise. I do hope to try it out one of these days if I ever find myself on an open road.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:02 AM

I lived in NOVA for 40 years. You will have plenty of roads to use the adaptive cruise. Interstate 270, 95, 495, 66, 395, Dulles toll road, etc...
Old 03-15-2010, 10:09 AM
Drives a Hyundai 3.8 V6 Sedan
View Disaster's Photo Album

Disaster is on a distinguished road

I can see how it would work when in heavier traffic but what about when driving down a 2 or three lane and trying to pass while the cruise control is on. Will it cut the speed, or is it smart enough to know you are to the side of the car in front of you?
Old 03-15-2010, 11:31 AM
Drives a Hyundai 3.8 V6 Sedan
View Sayantsi's Photo Album

Sayantsi is on a distinguished road

Nice. My biggest issue though is that I don't want to sit behind slower traffic, I want to drive around it! I guess in heavy traffic, you can just let the car automatically change speed between say 20-40 mph while you watch?

Life's too short to drive boring cars.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:31 PM

The cruise allows you to manually accelerate through the adaptive control distance of 1, 2 or 3 car length distance and close in on another car without it disengaging the cruise control. If you want to pass someone just accelerate and pass them then as long as you don't hit the brake pedal the cruise control picks back up to the speed set. I have set the cruise to the max speed I want and the adaptive control does the rest. So the car will speed upto the cruise speed setting as long as the traffic in front allows. The adaptive control does slow the car if another car ahead NOT in your lane drifts too close. Play around with the adaptive cruise control and find what works best for you.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:35 PM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 5.0 V8 R-Spec Sedan
View Dimitry's Photo Album

Dimitry is on a distinguished road

I test drove the 10 a few months ago, it's quite the feature - It, along with autohold, makes cruising extremely simple
Old 03-15-2010, 02:46 PM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 4.6 V8 Tau Sedan
View michaeldallen's Photo Album

michaeldallen is on a distinguished road

I too really love this cruise control! On three seperate occasions I tested it behind cars as we got off of the freeway (So.Cal) and it progressively slowed to a dead stop behind them. These were in NO WAY emergency stops, but the car did come to a complete stop at a safe distance each time, then I was alerted that the cruise control doesn't operate at this speed and it turned itself off. (I'm unsure when that little alert came on the display, because I was REALLY WATCHING THE CAR IN FRONT OF ME and had my foot ready to hit the break. Each test was a really scary event and I don't recomend anyone rely on the system in place of responsible driving, but it seemed to keep me at a safe distance. If you try this stunt, BE CAREFUL!
Old 03-15-2010, 09:04 PM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 4.6 V8 Tau Sedan
View knight's Photo Album

knight is on a distinguished road

It is too funny that you just started this thread, because if you hadn't I was going to. I used the Adaptive Cruise Control tonight in Chicago traffic and set the follow option to the middle distance and the speed to the ACC max of 110mph. It was spectacular. Traffic goes from around 5 mph to the posted speed limit pretty often, and sometimes even over, though I disengage the ACC before speeding . Once the car came to a dead stop the ACC flashed a message that a condition of the ACC was not met and disengaged the ACC. By the way, you will see a message that a condition of the ACC was not met if you have ESC turned off and try to use the Cruise Control. The other cool thing is no matter what speed you set the car accelerates moderately to that speed (which is why I tried 110mph).

In previous cars when I pressed resume they went into their version of Formula One mode and downshifted and floored the pedal just to reach the cruising speed, the opposite of what you would expect in "cruise" mode. Hyundai did it right. I literally was laughing out loud when the car came to a stop on it's own. I was covering the brake, but when technology works it is pretty awesome.

-knight
Old 03-15-2010, 10:18 PM
View nearwater's Photo Album

nearwater is on a distinguished road

Now you guys made me all jealous. I really wanted to have this feature, but ended up getting the '09 for its cheaper price.
I commute on local roads and my office is about 5~10 min away, so how many times do I use this feature, right?
But still I want it.
Any way to retro-fit this feature into an '09?

Dan
Old 03-15-2010, 10:39 PM
View sammyb's Photo Album

sammyb is on a distinguished road

I've been addicted to adaptive cruise control since I got it on my '06 Avalon. It was only a $500 option. When we went to get another sedan for my wife, I looked at Mercedes, Audi and BMW -- this feature was crazy-expensive and almost no cars came so equipped. (The feature was $3500 on Bimmers back in '07)

The only downside is that the driver needs to pay attention to speed (rather than distance, as with normal cruise). Once the driver is programmed, he/she won't be so prone to driving under the speed limit behind a slower car without knowing it.

I'm also a big fan of the backup cam.
(Plus 50 additional cylinders in American, British, Italian, and Japanese four-wheeled things.)
Old 03-25-2010, 09:14 PM
View sherrod's Photo Album

sherrod is on a distinguished road

I agree. I absolutely love the adaptive cruise control! I use it in heavy traffic on a 2-lane road going to work every morning. There are four traffic lights along the way, and unless I'm unlucky and come to a full stop, the cruise control works perfectly to handle the speeds as they vary greatly.

Unless I am in real stop-and-go traffic where there is frequent stopping, I usually have cruise engaged.

Hyundai's implementation of adaptive cruise has far exceeded my expectations. It works significantly better than the one on my son't Lexus 430.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:45 PM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
View dg_moore's Photo Album

dg_moore is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ez24get View Post
I lived in NOVA for 40 years. You will have plenty of roads to use the adaptive cruise. Interstate 270, 95, 495, 66, 395, Dulles toll road, etc...
I'm not so sure - the majority of my driving is in heavy rush hour traffic. I seldom see much clear highway in front of me. I had cruise in all of my last 4 or 5 cars, and i don't remember ever using it in any of them.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:57 PM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 5.0 V8
View Midnightsun's Photo Album

Midnightsun is on a distinguished road

Remove this ad
Well here is my take. I thought it would simply just disengage the cruise and turn it back on when the vehicle in front acelerated or moved. Nope, this actually controls the brakes also. I was playing around while on cruise keeping my foot hovered over the brake jut in case. Cut in behind slow moving traffic in the lane beside me and slowed down real quick and maintained the correct distance. Move out of the slow lane and it accelerates to the set speed. Even tried in 4 lane wide traffic moving from lane to lane. Always nows when things are clear or someone is in the way. Awesome piece of equipment and works wonderfully.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:35 PM
View dev's Photo Album

dev is on a distinguished road

I drive my 2010 4.6 on the hiway about 70% of the time. I set my cruise at about the max plus 5 mph, and seldom need to desengage. The one concern I have is that if some one enters your lane inside the distance you have set, the car decellerates quickly without putting on the brakes. If the traffic is heavy I don't think the brake lights light. I usually press the brakes so the one behine, if they are following close, doesn't overtake me.. Otherwise I love the whole thing, I never had it on the Lexus I had before because it was too expensive.