Registered members do not see this advertisement! Remove it by signing up for free.
hyundai equus sedan   hyundai equus sedan

Go Back   Hyundai Genesis Forum > Hyundai Equus Forums > General 2011-2014 Hyundai Equus Discussion
Hyundai Genesis Forum Advertise Help us help you! Calendar Today's Posts

Notices

General 2011-2014 Hyundai Equus Discussion Forum for discussions regarding the Hyundai Equus that don't fit in any other area.

Hyundai Genesis Forum: Road Noise?

Old 06-26-2011, 01:19 PM
Drives a Hyundai Equus Signature
View jgriffter's Photo Album

jgriffter is on a distinguished road
Default Road Noise?

Remove this ad
Wondering if any of you are having a similar experience ...

The Equus is quiet - very nice. I have noticed though that on highways i do hear quite a bit of road noise. In South Texas the highways are often concrete and not so level. Driving above 55 there seems to be quite a bit of road noise transmitted back in to the car - normal or sport mode. It somewhat feels "busy" like pieces in the suspension are moving or vibrating more than they should.

I asked the dealer to take a look at it for me when I went in for an oil change and they found nothing. The tires are good (Contis) and in balance. Perhaps it is due to the other noises from the car being hushed, but the Equus is not as smooth and quiet as our '03 LS430 and i am surprised about that.

Have any of you noticed this?

Old 06-27-2011, 09:35 PM
View sonatafan's Photo Album

sonatafan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Road Noise?

Absolutely. On new smooth asphalt the ride is relatively quiet but as soon as the road surface roughens ups you hear it. I can even hear when the car drives over some painted lines on the road. The other thing I hear and that is sometimes difficult to differentiate is wind nosie. I road tested the car and knew it was there. Other reviews, blogs and forums have mentioned wind noise on the Equus. I guess they missed the outside noise thing in their development but for 10-15K less or more, what can you expect
Old 07-09-2011, 04:25 PM
Drives a Hyundai In His/Her Dreams (Doesn't own one yet)
View imperial4ever's Photo Album

imperial4ever is on a distinguished road

1st model year squeaks and rattles?
Old 07-09-2011, 06:14 PM
Drives a Hyundai 3.8 V6 Sedan
View Mark_888's Photo Album

Mark_888 will become famous soon enough

The noise is probably related somewhat to the tires. If you want to reduce road noise, don't get Energy Saver tires. Look for tires that are rated as very quiet on TireTrack.com customer survey reviews. Energy Saver type of tires are typically used by manufacturers who are trying to squeeze every last MPG out the EPA ratings.
Old 07-10-2011, 01:10 AM
Drives a Hyundai Equus Ultimate
View cliffbig's Photo Album

cliffbig is on a distinguished road

Odd--I've been amazed at how quiet the Equus is. Just took it on a 200 mile road trip today, over a mixture of interstate, state highways, and rural roads, and the ride was the quietest I've had in any car. If they make 'em quieter than this, I'm afraid I might forget my car was moving and step out of the door at 65mph!
Old 07-10-2011, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffbig View Post
Odd--I've been amazed at how quiet the Equus is. Just took it on a 200 mile road trip today, over a mixture of interstate, state highways, and rural roads, and the ride was the quietest I've had in any car. If they make 'em quieter than this, I'm afraid I might forget my car was moving and step out of the door at 65mph!
Roads are probably smoother where you live (mostly asphalt). Some people drive on concrete roads that can make tire noises.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:33 PM
View imperial4ever's Photo Album

imperial4ever is on a distinguished road

All of the reviews that I have watched and read said the Equus was errily quiet. Too quiet for some except for feedback coming from those huge tires. Maybe the individual in this post who is hearing the suspension feedback should ride in the backseat while another drives? You may get a better idea as to where exactly the noise from underneath the car is coming from.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:57 PM
View JPW's Photo Album

JPW is on a distinguished road

Well, I guess I should be happy I'm not the only one to notice this. I currently have an '06 BMW 750LI. It does a pretty good job of keeping out the road noise and wind noise. I've loved the Genesis and the Equus ever since they came around, but there have always been some small things that have kept me from taking the plunge. This is one of them.

I live in South Texas as well and I've test driven the Equus now a few times and I couldn't figure out whether it was in my head or not, but I noticed the very same thing you did. As much as people say they are impressed with how quiet this car is I have to wonder what they are comparing it to. After living with a BMW 7-series for so long I seem to think I can tell a pretty big difference. I'm willing to bet Lexus owners might feel the same thing just as the initiator of this post did.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:01 PM
View BacktoHyundaibychoice's Photo Album

BacktoHyundaibychoice is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPW View Post
Well, I guess I should be happy I'm not the only one to notice this. I currently have an '06 BMW 750LI. It does a pretty good job of keeping out the road noise and wind noise. I've loved the Genesis and the Equus ever since they came around, but there have always been some small things that have kept me from taking the plunge. This is one of them.

I live in South Texas as well and I've test driven the Equus now a few times and I couldn't figure out whether it was in my head or not, but I noticed the very same thing you did. As much as people say they are impressed with how quiet this car is I have to wonder what they are comparing it to. After living with a BMW 7-series for so long I seem to think I can tell a pretty big difference. I'm willing to bet Lexus owners might feel the same thing just as the initiator of this post did.
Well, comparing it to the 4.6 Genesis i came out of, the Horse is MUCH quieter. I get some wind noise around 80 mph or so, but not much from the road.
Certainly not enough to be a deal buster.
But maybe i'm playing my DVD-A's to loudly to notice?!?

OT:
Anybody get the survey with letter from Mr. K? Just completed it.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:11 PM
View JPW's Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoHyundaibychoice View Post
Well, comparing it to the 4.6 Genesis i came out of, the Horse is MUCH quieter. I get some wind noise around 80 mph or so, but not much from the road.
Certainly not enough to be a deal buster.
But maybe i'm playing my DVD-A's to loudly to notice?!?

OT:
Anybody get the survey with letter from Mr. K? Just completed it.
Oh, I'm sure it is more quiet than the Genesis, but that really isn't the models that are being compared to the Equus. BMW's (7-series) and Lexus (LS) are probably a closer match.

I do admit though this can be a pretty subjective thing. I was thinking about it on the way home from work today and thought it might be a good test to take a Sound Pressure Level Meter and go down a road at 70 mph in my 750LI and then take the Equus for a test drive and see how it compares. The salesman might look at me like I'm crazy, but it would help to know whether there is a quantitative difference. Come to think of it I actually have a relative coming in to town in early August and he could help me with this. If I don't feel too uncomfortable doing this in front of a salesman I'll post the results back here. He drives a Lexus LS430 so I could add those figures as well.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:22 PM
View jgriffter's Photo Album

jgriffter is on a distinguished road

Thank you all for the comments on this one. I am the original poster.

I think the roads in South Texas are part of the problem here. I also think maybe the 19 tires are as well. I had the 2010 4.6 Genny before the Equus - the Equus is more quiet than the Genesis. But eerily quiet as the review s say - no. My 2003 LS430 is quieter with its Michelin tires. Also this week I was in a Cadillac sedan that was very quiet (rental).

The sound I am hearing is more of a road noise, maybe even a bearing noise.

Somewhere around here I have an SPL meter. I think that is a good idea.

Dont get me wrong - the Equus is a beautiful car. Just looking for "eerily quiet"!

Grifster
Old 07-15-2011, 06:17 AM
View JPW's Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgriffter View Post
Somewhere around here I have an SPL meter. I think that is a good idea.
Great! However, the one thing I just started thinking about is whether these SPL meters can actually register accurate readings at this level. I think most say they start around 40db. If you do find one, and think of it, please pass on which model it is. I've lost the one I had from some time ago and need to purchase a new one. Naturally, I think anyone trying this should do this on the same road and very close apart when measuring both cars. Any change in outside traffic could impact the readings. This probably goes without saying, but the radio and A/C should probably be off as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgriffter View Post
Dont get me wrong - the Equus is a beautiful car. Just looking for "eerily quiet"!
Couldn't be in more agreement here. This is EXACTLY the same way I feel.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPW View Post
Great! However, the one thing I just started thinking about is whether these SPL meters can actually register accurate readings at this level. I think most say they start around 40db.
There are many SPL meters that go to 20 db (and some even lower); however, the noise level in a very quiet car at 55 MPH on a smooth road is way above 40 db.

I have previously expressed my opinion, that the Equus noise is primary due to the tires. Also, if you get new tires, "Energy Saver" tires, or tires with an aggressive tread pattern, are not going to be the quietest ones.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:32 AM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 4.6 V8 Tau Sedan
View MHT's Photo Album

MHT is on a distinguished road

Remove this ad
IMO the Energy Saver tire is no noisier than any other tire and in some cases it is just as quiet. At Tire Rack The Michelin Energy Saver A/S has one of the highest ratings of any tire for noise and ride comfort. The best way to check out a tire is go and try it for yourself, just don't trust the ratings and opinions.
Both my Genesis and Malibu ride on Energy Saver Tires so I am speaking as one who owns the tires.
Most of todays cars are riding on low profile tires which by nature create a little bit more tire noise. Someone said they are looking for eerie quiet, I am sorry but that sounds like a casket on wheels.
Do not let people come on here talking about how quiet Lexus,BMW or Mercedes are and how they would not own a Genesis or Equus, well my Genesis is far more quiet than my 2007 Lexus LS460 was and so was the Equus I test drove, or better yet just check out the Lexus,BMW,Mercedes etc.. forums and reviews.
Some of you may not be experiencing tire noise, have the dealer check it out.
Good Luck.........

Last edited by MHT; 07-15-2011 at 07:47 AM.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHT View Post
IMO the Energy Saver tire is no noisier than any other tire and in some cases it is just as quiet.
Your "opinion" differs from what is stated on the Michelin website. Also, on Tire Rack, if you compare a Michelin Energy Saver Tire (Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus), with a Michelin non-Energy Saver tire (Michelin Primacy MXV4), you will see the difference in noise/comfort ratings. For example, look at this survey:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey....jsp?type=GTAS

It is common sense that a tire that gets better gas mileage (less rolling resistance) is going to be a little harder and less quiet than a tire that is softer and that gets worse gas mileage. I believe this is the same principle by which broccoli is much better for your health than ice cream, even though ice cream tastes better.